Vista Ridge to Elk Cove 7/31 - 8/1/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mreha

Vista Ridge to Elk Cove 7/31 - 8/1/15

Post by mreha » August 1st, 2015, 8:40 pm

This was probably my favorite backpacking trip so far, in spite of the crowds (hey, summer weekend...what can you expect?). The roads were in remarkably good shape; in fact, they were doing road construction along the route to the trailhead.

The first few miles were still recovering from a fire, and it was a little spooky and VERY hot hiking through the burn:

After a few miles, though, I started getting into some shade and it was much nicer, with this view off the left-hand side:

I assume one of those was Mt. Saint Helens (?), not sure what the other peak is but I'm curious to find out.

I also started to get nice views of Mt. Hood, which I would be seeing a lot of the next two days:

Did I mention it was really hot? I had gone through most of my water by this point, so Wy'East Meadow was a blessed relief. I ran into my first fellow hikers there, filled up on water, and enjoyed the relative cool and peaceful vibe for a few minutes before heading on.

From that point on the hike was pretty easy and relatively flat, and I enjoyed the increasingly unobstructed views of Mt. Hood from the trail:

I got to Elk Cove fairly early, about 11am, and managed to score a campsite with a sweet view of the mountain:

I set up camp and explored the area a little...there were quite a few people camping there, but the campsites were dispersed enough that I couldn't see or hear any of them so it wasn't bad. Towards evening a whole troop of Boy Scouts showed up, but they ended up camping a mile or so down towards the Elk Cove trailhead. I had to marvel a little that they were literally running around the trails after hiking up there...ah, the exuberance of youth!

There were a LOT of flying bugs, but they were mostly flies - annoying but non-biting/stinging, at least. I saw a few yellowjackets, but no mosquitos until the next morning at dawn when they came out in force (a few supplemented my breakfast by flying in my mouth while I was packing up camp :cry: )

Speaking of dawn, the highlight of the trip was definitely sitting up against a tree, drinking a hot cup of coffee, and watching the sunrise reflect off the snow on Mt. Hood:

On the way back, I saw a few deer not too far from Elk Cove, but they were way too fast to get a picture of...the rest of the hike back was uneventful. I ran into quite a few people headed up the trail so I'm glad I went on Friday morning instead of Saturday. I noticed a lot of the hikers Saturday morning seemed less friendly...but I did chat for a bit with some really nice ladies at Wy'East meadow while I refilled on water - it was their first backpacking trip so I hope they had a good time.

The burn was much more pleasant going downhill than it was on the way up :lol: All in all, this was a really nice hike in spite of the crowds, and I will definitely do it again. I'm thinking about doing it maybe in the early fall (late Sep - early Oct); does anyone know how the roads are that time of year? I drive a Honda Accord, so more than a little snow or ice is pretty much a no-go.

Paul2

Re: Vista Ridge to Elk Cove 7/31 - 8/1/15

Post by Paul2 » August 5th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Nice report, I was up that way earlier this year. It was too bad how quickly the flowers went. In your picture of the northern mountains, I see Mt Adams (12000 ft) to the right and Mt. Rainier (14410) in the background to the left. I expect you saw St. Helens as well with a flat top to the left of them, but it probably doesn't have much snow at this point.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

mreha

Re: Vista Ridge to Elk Cove 7/31 - 8/1/15

Post by mreha » August 6th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Paul2 wrote:Nice report, I was up that way earlier this year. It was too bad how quickly the flowers went. In your picture of the northern mountains, I see Mt Adams (12000 ft) to the right and Mt. Rainier (14410) in the background to the left. I expect you saw St. Helens as well with a flat top to the left of them, but it probably doesn't have much snow at this point.
Thanks for clearing that up!