Castle Rock - 7/5/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Castle Rock - 7/5/15

Post by justpeachy » July 28th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Just now getting around to posting this report from a few weeks ago. I did the short hike to Castle Rock on a Sunday morning before heading home from a weekend spent in the area. The whole hike is just 2.5 miles round-trip, although before the road was built the hike up from the bottom was MUCH longer.

There was once a series of lookouts here. This is the one that was built in 1925:

The trees have really grown up since the last lookout was removed in the 1970s and you have to move around to different parts of the summit to see in the various directions.

Mt. Washington:

Looking south and west:

Looking north and east:

The Three Sisters, backlit by the HOT morning sun:

Looking north:

Cool tree!

I sat on the summit eating my snacks and enjoying the view. I had the place to myself for a little while, but then several loud families arrived in quick succession, so I beat a hasty retreat. On the way down I did some maintenance on the switchbacks, nearly every one of which had been short-cutted. :roll: :roll:

Great little hike where you get a nice reward for very little effort. It was perfect for a morning hike before the LONG three-hour drive home.

markesc

Re: Castle Rock - 7/5/15

Post by markesc » July 29th, 2015, 8:53 am

I'm noticing more of those Madrones everywhere! Cool 'bark' on it huh?

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 29th, 2015, 8:59 am

There's actually a lot on the Olympic Peninsula.

My brother has one in his yard but the heat is taking it's toll...
markesc wrote:I'm noticing more of those Madrones everywhere! Cool 'bark' on it huh?

tambli22

Post by tambli22 » July 29th, 2015, 9:25 am

I did this hike from the lower trailhead last summer. Nice hike and some good views. Ran into a number of mountain bikers though. I love that McKenzie River area though!