Elk Cove Dollar lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
greenjello85

Re: Elk Cove Dollar lake

Post by greenjello85 » July 23rd, 2015, 5:12 pm

Great report Woodswalker! I like the contrast of the fireweed with the burned trees. Kind of neat :) Yikes! That lake isn't looking so hot. It's crazy how fast a normally extremely wet environment can turn dry. Thanks for sharing
~Dan
Last edited by greenjello85 on July 23rd, 2015, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

greenjello85 wrote:Great report Woodswalker! I like the contrast of the fireweed with the burned trees. Kind of neat :) Yikes! That look isn't looking so hot. It's crazy how fast a normally extremely wet environment can turn dry. Thanks for sharing
~Dan
Thanks!
Woodswalker

funhog

Post by funhog » July 23rd, 2015, 9:09 pm

image.jpg
On the way into Elk Cove
These are photos taken last July 26th, 2014. Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots a of the algae filled silver dollar when DoubleTree and I visited again in September but it looked a lot like your photo from this week.
Attachments
image.jpg
Plenty of clear water

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 24th, 2015, 5:46 am

funhog wrote:
image.jpg
These are photos taken last July 26th, 2014. Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots a of the algae filled silver dollar when DoubleTree and I visited again in September but it looked a lot like your photo from this week.
I love all the comparison shots I'm seeing this year. Thanks! It is really a crazy year.
Woodswalker

markesc

Post by markesc » July 24th, 2015, 9:56 am

Your post made me run up there too!

Didn't take a ton of photos, but prob walked by a lot of the same spots. Did not realize half of Cairn basin got torched!! There's a pretty rad beehive in the classic cone shape right off the trail there too! Seeing Dollar "lake" that low was sad. Seeing the changes especially compared to ten years ago is astonishing...

How is the road from Lawrence lake to the TH? Ended up hiking all the way from Top Spur and doing a couple of fun stream crossings as my car won't go far on messed up roads!!

Thanks again for the post!
QM6A4343b.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghuZhuOYX4

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 24th, 2015, 8:12 pm

markesc said: "How is the road from Lawrence lake to the TH? Ended up hiking all the way from Top Spur and doing a couple of fun stream crossings as my car won't go far on messed up roads!!"

The road from Lawerence Lake to the trailhead is as good or better than the road to Top Spur. Looks like you had an awesome day up there! That video was fun, definitely further up than we got.
Woodswalker