Neakahnie July 5, 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Arturo

Neakahnie July 5, 2015

Post by Arturo » July 6th, 2015, 9:53 am

After sloggin' my way up Table Mountain last Sunday in 97 degree heat and humidity, and then sweating through the 90's all week long, it was the coast for me this weekend. I've done Saddle and King numerous times so they were not on the radar. And even at the beach I gotta have at least a little elevation gain to satisfy my need, so I hit Neakahnie Mountain just north of Manzanita yesterday.

Skies weren't all cloudy at 11:00am and patches of sunshine were starting to poke through so we figured by the time we got up there it'd be just right and we were looking forward to this wonderful view:

But the mighty mountain Goddess was probably tired of the heat and humidity herself and gave us this:

https://youtu.be/DszftNa0ReQ

Not gonna complain really ... it was awesome and took me back to San Francisco and west end of the Richmond out near the old Sutro Baths and Land's End. Couldn't see a damn thing but it sure felt like it.

As for the hike itself, it's pretty straight forward.
You switchback partially exposed at the beginning, fairly easily, until you get to the canopy. It's not dense so there's plenty of light filtering through and the trails are soft with fir needles. A couple of logs to maneuver on the way up, and plenty of exposed tree roots, but it is a pretty basic hike through spruce, ferns and salal (the trail is really well kept and clear).
Lots of salmonberries ... and wild flowers that are much fresher than the inland ones are now.
It's a steady climb to the top but pretty gradual. In some spots we were treated to a false rain ... the dew was dropping from above and landing on the ferns making it sound just like a shower, and feeling like it too. 57 degrees on the way up. Perfect hiking weather.

The summit is an easy scramble. Well hardly a scramble but it is rocky and you may use your hands here and there.
On a clear day, it's probably amazing to just sit on the peak for a bit and take in the view.
Yesterday though we couldn't see anything it was great just to have nature's air conditioner flowing. If this heat keeps up, I might just head back! I would recommend this hike as an afternoon (probably less cloudy) side trip during a day at the beach. Short Sand Beach is very close and very nice.

Splintercat

Re: Neakahnie July 5, 2015

Post by Splintercat » July 6th, 2015, 11:37 am

Nice report… and yeah, I'd take that fog right now, too..! Neahkahnie is a cool hike no matter the weather, as (to me) it's one of those places where you're really aware of how the elements shape the landscape.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :-)

Peder

Re: Neakahnie July 5, 2015

Post by Peder » July 7th, 2015, 10:30 pm

It is an impressive place, view or no view. I have done both options and enjoyed them equally!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…