SHAME, SHAME at Wildcat

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
LakeOHiker

SHAME, SHAME at Wildcat

Post by LakeOHiker » July 2nd, 2015, 10:25 pm

What is the mentality of people who do such destructive, wanton acts. And then to see the carvings on the memorial bench was just another blow. What kind of people live in this area anyway. OK, I vented!
I led a group of hardy souls out of the heat and after we left the trailhead our mood lifted. The trail is in lovely shape and even though the beargrass is through blooming there were plenty of other flowers to enjoy and as always the unsurpassable view of our Mt.Hood. We found a few ripe and sweet delicious huckleberries just waiting to be picked. It was a great day with a little breeze, under trees most of the way, just a wonderful hike.
Attachments
Ripe Huckleberry.JPG
Iris.JPG
Memorial Bench.JPG
Stupidity.JPG
Seeing the World on my own Two Feet!

Splintercat

Re: SHAME, SHAME at Wildcat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 1:01 pm

An ongoing problem up there -- and without more trail use by legitimate hikers, the shooter/dumpers will continue to go there. They seek places where they won't be seen, as they know they're breaking the law. More hikers = less vandals, so don't be deterred from visiting this area!

A couple suggestions for your photos: (1) send them to the Zigzag Ranger District office to let them know what you saw up there -- here is their online feedback form -- and then consider sending photos and the story to the Sandy Post, as the town not only has an interest in the reputation that their nearby recreation areas have, but might have a local match to the initials carved in the bench... just speculation, there!

Thanks for posting -- good that you had an otherwise nice hike!

Tom :-)

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 3rd, 2015, 4:18 pm

LakeOHiker wrote: What kind of people live in this area anyway.
The same kind of people that live everywhere else. I assure you there are vandals in "LakeO" as well. The vandalism and trash sucks but it seems a bit elitist to assume that it came from locals or claiming that people that live near Wildcat Road are inferior to folks that live in Lake O. There are a lot of people that came from the metro area to illegally shoot, go off-roading, or even dump trash.

Your Iris photo is very nice and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the trail despite the vandals!
Splintercat wrote:An ongoing problem up there -- and without more trail use by legitimate hikers, the shooter/dumpers will continue to go there. They seek places where they won't be seen, as they know they're breaking the law. More hikers = less vandals, so don't be deterred from visiting this area!
Agreed! The best way to rescue this area is to use it. A great loop could be made if an organization was able to make Pablo’s trail from Eagle Creek to Douglas Ridge official ;)
~Dan

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » July 3rd, 2015, 5:40 pm

Splintercat wrote:A couple suggestions for your photos: (1) send them to the Zigzag Ranger District office to let them know what you saw up there --
Actually, this is under the Clackamas River Ranger District's jurisdiction. We know of the continual abuse by locals. Unless we get more funding for trail cams to aid us in the apprehension of the vandals, there is only two options avail: wait to catch them in the act or close the trail. :(
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 7:54 pm

Thanks for the correction, Will - I always forget that about the Wildcat area.

Tom

LakeOHiker

Post by LakeOHiker » July 3rd, 2015, 9:34 pm

Splintercat, Thanks for suggesting that I forward the pictures to the appropriate agency. This area seems to be unique as to who has jurisdiction. Maybe the Clackamas Dump Stoppers might be another agency for reporting. This is such a beautiful area, with great hikes, that I'm not about to give it up.
NW Yeti, I will try Clackamas for reporting. Think I'll call and see whose the best person to send the pictures too. I talked with the ZigZag Ranger before the hike about the trailhead and he gave me good information, so that may be another contact.
And to GreenJello85, I wasn't just referring to locals as this area draws from all around for target shooting, off road vehicles and a myriad of other problems. And yes, we have our problems too, just read the police blotter in the Lake Oswego Review. It will give you a laugh.
I'm new at this posting so I don't know how you get all the quotes in your text, but this is my best attempt, and hopefully won't draw any more scathing remarks about the point I was trying to make about vandalism.
Seeing the World on my own Two Feet!

funhog

Post by funhog » July 4th, 2015, 12:23 am

A backcountry ranger buddy of mine calls this sort of thing "jackassery". I think it fits well. BTW I think that iris looks suspiciously like a Cascade Lily.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 5th, 2015, 5:24 pm

NW Yeti wrote:
Splintercat wrote:A couple suggestions for your photos: (1) send them to the Zigzag Ranger District office to let them know what you saw up there --
Actually, this is under the Clackamas River Ranger District's jurisdiction. We know of the continual abuse by locals. Unless we get more funding for trail cams to aid us in the apprehension of the vandals, there is only two options avail: wait to catch them in the act or close the trail. :(
Why would closing the trail help? Surely all that will do is reduce the already low number of law abiding people who go there. It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to the mattress burning dim whits that frequent the area.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Barb Adams

Post by Barb Adams » July 6th, 2015, 6:59 am

That side of Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness is Zigzag RD.

Yes, more use will help. Lots of good trails.

Also called Mt Hood Lily. True name is Washington Lily named after Martha Washington.

Barb

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » July 16th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Barb Adams wrote:That side of Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness is Zigzag RD.
I'll have to keep that in mind when the Clackamas River Ranger District sends me up there to pick up other people's messes. ;) :lol:
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!