Thielsen Meadow Loop (Mt. Thielsen Wilderness) 29-Jun-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Thielsen Meadow Loop (Mt. Thielsen Wilderness) 29-Jun-2015

Post by VanMarmot » June 30th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Having climbed Mt. Thielsen a while back, we decided it was time to explore some trails on the W side of the Mt. Thielsen Wilderness. We sketched out a variation of Hike #17 in Sullivan's Southern Oregon guide (3rd edition). As an aside, there are essentially no trails on the E side of this wilderness, which suggests the possibility of some fun XC exploration/travel or maybe a wilderness traverse?

Why we decided to hike on one of the hottest days of the year (so far) is not clear; suffice to say that the journey back was like a torment-in-the-desert scene from the classic film Beau Geste. Sigh. But that was later.

When we started-up the Howlock Mtn trail (USFS #1448) at around 0900, temps were much more moderate (but the mosquitos intense) and after "going toward the light" under Hwy 138,

we started a gradual, but steady, climb up into the wilderness on the well-maintained 1448 trail.

About 3.5 mi up the trail, we came to Timothy Meadows, the actual wilderness boundary, and our first crossing of Thielsen Creek. Water here is essentially confined to this creek but suitable campsites on the forest duff (not the meadows) are readily available nearby. Here we left the 1448 and continued SE on the Thielsen Creek Trail (USFS #1449).

Despite the rising temps, there was still some flowering going on near the creek, in the open meadows, and even higher up on the slopes of Thielsen.

We got our first close look at Thielsen about 5 mi in on the 1449,

shortly before it's junction with the PCT.

We had lunch there - maximum shade - and then headed S on the PCT to Thielsen Meadow,

where the air was thick with dozens on dragonflies (arrows) and curiously devoid ( ;) ) of the mosquitos that had plagued us since the TH. Ah, aerial predation - gotta' love it.

From the meadow, the PCT climbs the flanks of Thielsen on some long, long switchbacks. This got us up to over 7000' where the weather was pretty nice (but the sun intense) and also got us some views: of Howlock Mtn. to the N,

of Diamond Peak and the South Umpqua fire (there's currently a large USFS firebase at Diamond Lake) to the NW,

and of Mt. Bailey and Diamond Lake to the SW.

After following the PCT S for about 2 mi, we reached its junction with the Mt. Thielsen trail (USFS #1456). Here we were photo-bombed by some large, unidentified insect and it became apparent that the Loved One's enthusiasm for the seemingly endless trail and high heat had faded completely (and then some).

It seemed best, from a personal survival point-of-view, to stay ahead of her (i.e., out of reach) as we descended the 1456 to its junction with the Spruce Ridge trail (USFS #1458) and then took that trail back to the TH. That was followed by a mad dash to the store at Diamond Lake for cold drinks! This is an interesting area and this moderate hike (13.5 mi RT, 2000' EG) would have been really great had the temps been 15-20 degrees lower. Can definitely see doing more here in the Fall when, hopefully, the temps will be lower. :)

Last edited by VanMarmot on June 30th, 2015, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Q-

Re: Thielsen Meadow Loop (Mt. Thielsen Wilderness) 29-Jun-20

Post by -Q- » June 30th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Awesome TR Van Marmot, looks like a really fun day.

One of your pictures reminded me of something that I have been pondering for a long time...

What does "HD" stand for on a trail sign??

I see this a lot in the Willamette and Deschutes NFs, but not in Hood or the Giff.

I assume its another type of abbreviation for trailhead (TH), but I simply cannot figure out what the H and D stand for.

Anyone know??

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 30th, 2015, 3:26 pm

-Q- wrote:

I see this a lot in the Willamette and Deschutes NFs, but not in Hood or the Giff.

I assume its another type of abbreviation for trailhead (TH), but I simply cannot figure out what the H and D stand for.
Thanks. HD doesn't stand alone - you need to read the whole phrase, as in TRail HeaD or TR. HD. An older version of our current "TH".

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 30th, 2015, 3:36 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
-Q- wrote:

Thanks. HD doesn't stand alone - you need to read the whole phrase, as in TRail HeaD or TR. HD. An older version of our current "TH".
Well color me embarrassed :oops:
Somehow I have always missed seeing the TR before the HD.
Only focused on the HD, causing hours of useless pondering :?
Thanks Van Marmot

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » June 30th, 2015, 5:29 pm

this looks interesting., now on my list of things to consider. thanks

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 30th, 2015, 5:38 pm

"Beau Geste" only makes me think of one thing:

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 1st, 2015, 6:33 am

adamschneider wrote:"Beau Geste" only makes me think of one thing:

:lol: :lol:

Yes, I think we could see the fort in the distance through the heat haze...

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » July 1st, 2015, 4:13 pm

Great to see these reports from the southern reaches...thanks for sharing with us. The problem is you just make our lists longer. Love that close-up shot of Mt Thielsen.
Thanks,
Mike J

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 2nd, 2015, 5:35 am

mjuliana wrote:Great to see these reports from the southern reaches...thanks for sharing with us. The problem is you just make our lists longer. Love that close-up shot of Mt Thielsen.

Thanks. And, yes, this is part of my evil plan to keep your to do list just a few hikes short of completion forever... yah har har... :twisted: (Or is the plan world domination? Too busy hiking to remember.).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 1:51 pm

Thanks for the flashbacks, Bruce! I love that area -- hiked through it just once, on a PCT trip from Crescent Lake to Diamond Lake many years ago. One of the enduring memories from camping along Thielsen Creek was watching thousands of pumice pebbles bobbing downstream as the afternoon snowmelt raised the creek level..! :-)

Great report!

Tom :)