Sweet Creek Trail 6/29/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kaltbluter

Sweet Creek Trail 6/29/15

Post by kaltbluter » June 29th, 2015, 8:03 pm

I stopped by Sweet Creek Trail this afternoon. If you like lots of little waterfalls you'll like this place.

Thimble berries are ripe and pretty plentiful.

Salmonberries are ripening too. But just because something is edible doesn't mean you should eat it.
Last edited by kaltbluter on March 3rd, 2016, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless

Re: Sweet Creek Trail 6/29/15

Post by Aimless » June 30th, 2015, 10:48 am

If you gave me a choice between thimbleberries and salmonberries, it would be thimbleberries every time. But salmonberries aren't so bad, really. It's just that they aren't very good. :D

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » July 1st, 2015, 8:36 pm

Aimless wrote:But salmonberries aren't so bad, really. It's just that they aren't very good. :D
Every couple years I try a salmonberry just to make sure that they are as bad as i remember. Thankfully, this is my year off.

I had to google them to see if I was alone, I guess some people like them...
http://www.eatdrinkbreathe.com/salmonberries/ wrote:The taste of salmonberries is a little hard to pin down. They are sour, but not overpoweringly sour, and with a light floral-sweet finish that lingers long enough to keep your face from screwing up reflexively. It’s a beautiful balance, and one that is only present in the completely ripe ones. There are also hints of orange peel, spices, bile and wild herbs that you may not find in other berries.
...but then some people like uni.

Let's face it, some things should only be eaten when survival depends on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haw_YDC_zo

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 8th, 2015, 11:48 am

Neat!

"They’re called “Salmonberries” because of their (now obvious) resemblance to salmon roe. Ikura! Of course! I use the stuff every day at work, and yeah, the tiny little ruby egg sacks really do look like the nubs on salmonberries. In fact, it was a common First Nations practice to actually mix the salmonberries with roe. The tart, acidic juices from the berries would slightly cure the eggs (no refrigeration back in the day) as well as add flavour. Genius!"

I have been snacking on these since I moved to Oregon, but I never knew they turned reddish until this past year when I spotted some red ones along the Hamilton Mtn trail. I've been eating them orange the whole time. They don't really taste much different, though...slightly softer. They aren't as delicious as some other berries, but if they're there...why not?

Uni? NO EFFIN WAY! Funny video!

"It smells like a National Park bathroom, that somebody just dumped a bunch of dog food in..." l

:lol: :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider