Coast Range Game Trails

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rolled

Coast Range Game Trails

Post by rolled » June 29th, 2015, 8:23 am

Since it was supposed in the triple digits everywhere from the valley east, it seemed best to wander the coast range last weekend. There aren't many hiking trails in the coast range, and really none where I was, so it isn't for everyone. I came across a hidden valley where it didn't get above 80 degrees so that was base camp. Due to the low water I was able to make the first 2 miles easily going up the creek bed. Once the water switched to under ground I got on a game trail and started making my way up the ridge line. Lost the trail a few times, but luckily there are always a hundred more to hop onto to once you find them. It must have been 20 degrees hotter at the top of the mountain than back in the valley. Unfortunately, I only came across one black tail and had a bobcat across the creek from camp when I finally got back. A few more weeks and the elk and deer will be rubbing velvet off their racks making these trips more exciting...you haven't lived until a 800lb bull elk is ripping things up 20 yards away.

Paul2

Re: Coast Range Game Trails

Post by Paul2 » June 29th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Sounds like a great trip. In what general area were you?
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

rolled

Post by rolled » June 30th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Kilchis river area of Tillamook forest. Dropped off a trail cam during the hike. Hopefully, it will be full of pictures when I retrieve it in a few weeks.

rolled

Post by rolled » July 29th, 2015, 8:38 am

Went back out to the coast range to see what was captured by the camera. I was expecting plenty of elk and deer, which I got, but there were also a couple of surprises. This year is looking to be the year the of the bear.
Attachments
bob.jpg
Didn't even see this one at first. Bobcats can really blend in.
cub.jpg
This little guy had mom following right behind.
bear.jpg

Koda

Post by Koda » July 29th, 2015, 10:47 am

Ive seen many bear and even 2 bobcats in eastern Oregon but never in the coast range yet have spent as much time there following game trails. Such a difference in terrain and vegetation they have more places to hide. Cool photos thanks for sharing.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 29th, 2015, 11:20 am

Awesome!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown