Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park 22/25-Jun-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park 22/25-Jun-2015

Post by VanMarmot » June 26th, 2015, 7:50 am

We do occassional hiking and backpacking trips with our friends Wayne & Diane from California and this year we decided to spend some time in Lassen Volcanic National Park - seemingly one of America's lesser appreciated national parks (maybe the "volcanic" in the name is too scary?). Our previous trips had focused on climbing Lassen Peak (Lassen TR) but this time we wanted to see a bit more of the park.

We'd see an ad for the fairly new camping cabins (basically wooden tents - heaters, but no electricity, you cook for yourself (stove or fire ring), and there's a central toilet/shower facility) at Manzanita Lake. We made one of them our base camp and it worked out great! Had we wanted to actually camp (i.e., sleep on the ground) our options would have been limited because - despite the lack of the usual (or what was usual) snow pack - not all of the campgrounds were open yet. Seems the schedule is the schedule regardless of actual conditions.

DAY 1: Lassen Peak & Bumpass Hell
This is the first year in several years that the trail up to Lassen Peak is fully open all the time and so we made testing it out our morning activity.

The trail is basically a well-graded ramp that takes you gradually but steadily upward. It looks easy but the starting elevation (8500') and the lack of shade can surprise folks who start up it in flip-flops with a half can of warm Pepsi.

The weather was perfect (but got warmer and warmer as the week went on) and we had views everywhere - here of Diller, Pilot Pinnacle, and Eagle.

Ever upward, with the parking lot and Helen Lake growing smaller and smaller...

There was only one 100' long patch of snow left on the entire trail.

The last remaining "teaser" trail sign pops up shortly before the summit.

Then the trail reaches the flatter, lower summit with its bevy of interpretive signs,

but the actual summit is a rocky point further to the NE.

From there, we had a 360 view and could see Shasta to the N (with the wind farm at its base), as well as smoke coming in from the Buckskin fire in southern Oregon. Later in the week a fire would start near Lake Tahoe and it would send smoke into the Lassen area.

We'd gotten an "early" (8 am) start so we only encountered 5 people on the way up. But coming down two hours later, we passed 60 or so coming up! Hike early to avoid the rush. After lunch at Emerald Lake, we decided to visit the Bumpass Hell hydrothermal area with its steam vents, bubbling mud pots, and boiling lakes.

Compared to the peak, this area was a zoo - with a full parking lot and people all along the 1.3 mi trail to the "hell." Despite the park service's numerous warning signs, only about 1 in 10 seemed to have any water or decent shoes. Sigh. After this short hike, we reached an area of exposed vents and fumeroles, with a walkway to prevent folks from falling in (as did poor Mr. Bumpass way back in the day).

There were no geysers a-la-Yellowstone, but plenty of steam vents and a distinct - sometimes intense - sulfur odor. Yes, a tourist attraction, but well worth the short hike!

Lassen Peak (yellow - 5 mi RT, 1950' EG) and Bumpass Hell (red - 3 mi RT, 300' EG) - easy hiking but amazing views and scenery! :D

DAY 2: Summit Lakes Loop
This is also called the Cluster Lakes Loop and appears as such (Hike #23) in Lautner's Northern California PCT Section Hikes guide.

We picked it because it promised - and delivered - a tour of the most concentrated collection of lakes in the park, starting with Summit Lake right at the TH. Lassen Peak is in the far background.

Despite the low snow/water year, there were still quite a few flowers blooming along the trail.

After a "gruelling" 500' climb, we got a view of Lassen

and then turned N on the trail toward the Bear Lakes. Unfortunately, about half way to the lakes, the trail leaves the forest and enters the devastation wrought by a fire in 2012. I was once again struck by what I'd missed by not taking time on earlier visits to go hiking rather than just focus on the peak. Double sigh. :cry:

About 1.5 mi into the burn,

we reached Little Bear Lake,

and then,

Big Bear Lake.

Beyond Big Bear, we turned S past Silver Lake (with Lassen in the distance),

then through flowers and other small plants starting the long, long process of restoring the forest,

past Feather Lake,

to a junction with the PCT back in the unburned forest.

A short ways down the PCT, we came to a lunch spot on the shores of Lower Twin Lake.

After lunch - and in rising heat - we turned W and climbed up past Echo Lake,

to complete the loop with a return to Summit Lake.

Despite the burned forest, this was a great hike past some of the nicest lakes in the park (12 mi RT, 1200' EG). Unlike yesterday's "crowds", we saw only about a dozen people all day - none on the N part of the loop and most between the TH and Lower Twin Lake.

DAY 3: Cinder Cone
There's a feature in the NE corner of the park who's name - Fantastic Lava Beds - just called out to us. Who would not want to hike to see fantastic lava beds? Not just big lava beds (Big Lava TR) but fantastic ones? So off we went...

The TH is at Butte Lake and starts off level past some amazingly huge Ponderosa pines,

through an area that almost looks landscaped,

before opening on our goal - the Cinder Cone and its promised overlook of those lava beds.

The 750' climb up this pile of cinders was easier than it looked from a distance but was still best done with a steady, plodding pace to minimize slippage. It also helped to have gotten an early start since those unshaded cinders were rapidly on their way to hot and toasty.

But the view from the top of the cone was well worth the plodding, with Lassen on the horizon,

the cone itself (arrow shows a person for scale),

Prospect Peak (an old shield volcano) to the NW,

and the Fantastic Lava Beds encroaching on Butte Lake.

All of the huge piles (50+' high in places) of black lava came out of the sides of the Cinder Cone and then parts of it were covered by ash from the Cone to form - after oxidation - the colorful Painted Dunes.

Going down the S side of the Cone was more fun if you remembered to wear gaiters,

but well worth it for more views of Lassen and a closer look at the Painted Dunes.

A short (4 mi RT, 850' EG) hike to a neat summit with views of what are truly fantastic lava beds! :D

On our last night, a few clouds crept in over Manzanita Lake to give us a colorful conclusion to what had been three wonderful, perfect weather days for our explorations of the park.

Last edited by VanMarmot on June 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weathercrazy

Re: Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park 22/25-Jun-2015

Post by weathercrazy » June 26th, 2015, 7:59 am

Nice report and great pics! Pretty and under appreciated area!

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 26th, 2015, 8:36 am

I love that park. We passed through on our way to Yosemite last year and had a couple of excellent days exploring there. I really liked the Kings Creek Falls trail and also the Devil's Kitchen and Boiling Springs Lake. We saw a bear in the meadow near Drakesbad at Warner Springs. We had intended to backpack the lakes loop, but found out it had been fire ravaged and decided to go elsewhere. :(
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobinB

Post by RobinB » June 26th, 2015, 8:59 am

Thanks for the excellent report and pictures! I always appreciate how detailed your reports are.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » June 26th, 2015, 9:10 am

Fantastic trip report.

I tried to convince my family that they wanted to stop at Lassen to see some of the sites on the return side of a northern CA road trip but I failed.... Perhaps another year.

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » June 26th, 2015, 9:45 am

Awesome! We're headed down to that area in mid-July for a week of camping. Thanks for the teaser.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 26th, 2015, 3:04 pm

AWESOME!!
Jealousy factor is through the roof right now.
Looks like you guys had a blast

Lassen NP is very high on my adventures wish list.

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » June 26th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the always great photos and detailed TRs. This one brings back childhood memories in particular. I lived outside the park in Mineral for four years as my parents worked for the NPS. Aside from doing the full Summit/Cluster Lakes loop, I've visited the other places you went to. Most years, there would be more snow than there is now in August! Your TR is a reminder to make it back there, at some point. Also, go to Broke Off Mtn when you re-visit the area!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 26th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Amazing lack of snow this year! Thanks for a great TR and photos.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller