Mount Bailey 28-May-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Mount Bailey 28-May-2015

Post by VanMarmot » May 29th, 2015, 6:24 am

Diamond Lake (N of Crater Lake Nat'l Park in southern Oregon) is bracketed to the E by Mt. Thielsen and to the W by Mt Bailey. I'd been up Theilsen before but Bailey was still on the ever lengthening to do list and I wanted to hike it while there was still some snow to add character to the hike. There's still some snow above 7000' and the forecast yesterday for thunderstorms was slight, so off I went. Except for the last 0.4 mi of bumpy dirt road, access to the signed TH is paved and easy (USFS #1451).

The trail was in good condition as it climbed persistently up through the forest

with only very few views E toward Thielsen,

and up toward the looming summit of Bailey.

The trail largely disappeared under snow at about 7400' and from there I just followed the ridgeline up toward the summit (arrow),

passing by the crater on its E side and going over the south summit.

The actual trail swings W of the crater and regains the ridge above the south summit but it was easier to just follow the snow up the center of the ridge. The snow had melted off the ridge N of the south summit and it looked like an easy shot to the higher north summit. From here, the trail skirts the ridge to the left (T) and crosses a talus slope before regaining the ridge.

Unfortunately, this talus was covered with snow that had melted down to a density that really discouraged sidehill step kicking. I gave it a shot but the footing was precarious (hadn't thought to bring crampons) and I got to a section where the runout was long and a slip would have (at best) been painful. So I worked my way back to the keyhole in the ridge,

and climbed the ridge (R) itself. This proved to be surprisingly easy and a lot less nerve wracking than crossing hard snow. Soon I was on the summit,

which had, from 1923 until 1952, been graced by a lookout (you can still see the eyebolt anchors just downslope).

The view was astounding! To the N, Diamond Pk (D) and the Sisters (S),

to the E, Thielsen and Howlock (H),

and to the S, Mt. Scott (S), Crater Lake (C), Garfield Pk (G), Union Pk (U), and McLoughlin (M).

After a quick lunch on the summit, I headed down as the clouds started to build.

A great hike / scramble (hike only after the snow clears) leading to HUGE views! Seriously worth the effort (9.8 mi, 3100' EG)! :D

-Q-

Re: Mount Bailey 28-May-2015

Post by -Q- » May 29th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Yowsers, that looks awesome.
Bumped up quite a few slots on my wish list now :D

JessSheets

Post by JessSheets » May 30th, 2015, 12:10 am

Amazing!

jime

Post by jime » May 30th, 2015, 5:43 am

Great to see!
I hiked up Bailey in 1976 soon after I first arrived in Oregon. First "hill" I ever did here!
Thanks for the memories. :)

Jim

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » June 1st, 2015, 9:34 am

Great trip report and great hike! I did this hike a few years ago on a really hot day, but it was still fun. I am really enjoying seeing your trip reports on hikes in other parts of Oregon. Thank you.

Peder

Post by Peder » June 2nd, 2015, 6:58 am

That looks like a great hike! Thank you for sharing.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 2nd, 2015, 7:11 am

Thanks everyone! Bailey was a lot more fun that I'd thought and the views were great! Now looking to do Howlock Mtn to get more views and some perspective on both Thielsen and Bailey!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 2nd, 2015, 2:40 pm

I "accidentally" hiked Mt. Bailey a few years ago when I saw dry lightning playing around Mt. Thielsen's pinnacle (my intended destination). It was a great alternative and I was surprised by the formations on the upper ridge. Apparently, in winter the resort drives skiers to the top in a snowcat using the north ridge.

goingrouge

Post by goingrouge » June 2nd, 2015, 9:09 pm

I realize it is early, but I am somewhat surprised to see no mention of mosquitoes in this area (not up high obviously). The bug swarms rival the lightning storms there, and that is saying a lot. We have been turned around several times in this area from even being out of the car for a minute.
Cat skiing would be great there, but have they even opened the last few seasons?
And it should be pretty serious morel mushroom pickin' time near those part right about now.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 3rd, 2015, 5:59 am

goingrouge wrote:I realize it is early, but I am somewhat surprised to see no mention of mosquitoes in this area (not up high obviously). The bug swarms rival the lightning storms there, and that is saying a lot. We have been turned around several times in this area from even being out of the car for a minute.
Cat skiing would be great there, but have they even opened the last few seasons?
And it should be pretty serious morel mushroom pickin' time near those part right about now.
There were some skeeters attacking me at the TH but not in any great number. Maybe just a little early yet for the full-on, chocking clouds of skeeters that are common here in July & August. I don't think there has been much skiing - other than XC - here for at least the last two seasons.