Twin Lakes Loop (BOTW Wilderness) from Elk Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
greenjello85

Re: Twin Lakes Loop (BOTW Wilderness) from Elk Lake

Post by greenjello85 » May 28th, 2015, 8:09 pm

miah66 wrote: I know! I was following your track from your dayhike TR! We both completely blew that jct, ended up crossing motherlode creek upstream from where the actual trail goes. If you look closely at my trail you can see where I backtracked to the motherlode crossing. I didn't cross the creek again however.

The trail going up the opposite ridge is the welcome lakes trail.
:lol: At least you tagged the actual crossing so we can all find it in the future! I had to look at a map to refresh my memory on where the wrong trail goes. It does head up to welcome lakes but I think it's the abandoned geronimo trail courtesy of Bobcats motherlode loop track. http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike I tried that loop over the winter but there was a bit too much snow and blow down on the northern section of the loop just past the tower turnoff. The welcome lakes trail intersection is quite a bit farther down ELC trail.
miah66 wrote: I hope to do the lower section of the ELC Trail sometime in the future, creek crossings and all.
The lower ELC TH was closed most of last year for logging operations but hopefully it's back open by now.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 28th, 2015, 8:13 pm

miah66 wrote: I hope to do the lower section of the ELC Trail sometime in the future, creek crossings and all.
The lower ELC TH was closed most of last year for logging operations but hopefully it's back open by now.[/quote]

I forgot to mention that the road to that lower trailhead will be closed most of the summer after July 15 for road work. I'll post the link tomorrow.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 28th, 2015, 8:52 pm

miah66 wrote:
The lower ELC TH was closed most of last year for logging operations but hopefully it's back open by now.
I forgot to mention that the road to that lower trailhead will be closed most of the summer after July 15 for road work. I'll post the link tomorrow.[/quote]

I could be wrong but I don't think the road was closed for logging operations but to fix the road. It was noticeably better (the road to the lower ELC trailhead that is) than it was in years previous, as they filled in all of the car-swallowing potholes and gravel / pavement transitions until the last couple of miles. Hopefully it's open in a couple weeks when I lead a Mazama group there for a 3-day backpack.

Your report speaks to me - I love that area and this is one of the best I've seen on this loop, and the Elk Lake area in general. Because of the road and trail conditions only the hardy tend to go deep into Bull of the Woods, so you don't hear about it as much. My car cannot handle the road to Elk Lake so I backpack into the area from elsewhere, usually from Elk Lake Creek. You did a great job of showing some of why this area is amazing.

Here's another thing: downstream of the crossing of Elk Lake Creek is a pool I shall call Emerald Pool (as it will be named in my forthcoming book, and I hope the name sticks). The name is a deliberate reference to Opal Pool, as this place is similar but in my opinion even more amazing:
Bull of the Woods020.jpg
Elk Lake Creek 047.jpg
Elk Lake Creek 050.jpg
When traveling in this area I usually don't need to use maps but I haven't done the Mother Lode Trail since before the fire, so when I go back here the weekend after next I'm going to use the track on Trail Advocates: http://www.trailadvocate.org/trails/558-2/

Their tracks (thanks Rob!) are usually dead on, and I think at least some of them pre-date the two fires in this area so they'll still have the proper alignments. Trail Advocates is an amazing resource for Clackamas lovers such as myself.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 28th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Thanks Matt, that is high praise! Yes it is indeed a special and beautiful place. Shhh beware the "Portland Hiker effect"!

The trail advocate tracks are indeed correct. Notice the track deviates from the mapped alignment at the motherlode crossing. I wish I'd seen that track earlier! Live and learn. Thanks for the reminder about trail advocates!

Road should be open in a couple weeks but keep in mind an upcoming closure over the second half of summer.
Last edited by miah66 on May 29th, 2015, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Instagram @pdxstrider

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 28th, 2015, 9:22 pm

miah66 wrote:Thanks Matt, that is high praise! Yes it is indeed a special and beautiful place. Shhh beware the "Portland Hiker effect"!
I'm not too worried. Most casual hikers are likely to be turned away by the 10+ mile drive into an extremely remote area to get to the lower Elk Lake Creek Trailhead. But if they do...well, I suppose the place could use a few more fans. But not too many more!

Our trip in 2 weeks is Elk Lake Creek > Mother Lode > Bull of the Woods Lookout > Big Slide Lake > Welcome Lakes > Elk Lake Creek. I'm sure it will be awesome, but I'm glad to know the road should be open and the trails reasonably well-maintained.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 28th, 2015, 9:36 pm

At least you tagged the actual crossing so we can all find it in the future! I had to look at a map to refresh my memory on where the wrong trail goes. It does head up to welcome lakes but I think it's the abandoned geronimo trail courtesy of Bobcats motherlode loop track. http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike I tried that loop over the winter but there was a bit too much snow and blow down on the northern section of the loop just past the tower turnoff. The welcome lakes trail intersection is quite a bit farther down ELC trail
Oh interesting. I had assumed the Geronimo trail wasnt shown on maps but it is indeed. I was mistaken about that.

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 29th, 2015, 4:08 am

Great hike and wonderful photos. I really need to get back to Elk Lake Creek. That is a beautiful trail.
mattisnotfrench wrote: Here's another thing: downstream of the crossing of Elk Lake Creek is a pool I shall call Emerald Pool (as it will be named in my forthcoming book, and I hope the name sticks). The name is a deliberate reference to Opal Pool, as this place is similar but in my opinion even more amazing:
That pool is as beautiful as anything up Opal Creek, and you will see WAY less people. Probably not as easy to get to, but it is the price for seeing it.
mattisnotfrench wrote: When traveling in this area I usually don't need to use maps but I haven't done the Mother Lode Trail since before the fire, so when I go back here the weekend after next I'm going to use the track on Trail Advocates: http://www.trailadvocate.org/trails/558-2/

Their tracks (thanks Rob!) are usually dead on, and I think at least some of them pre-date the two fires in this area so they'll still have the proper alignments. Trail Advocates is an amazing resource for Clackamas lovers such as myself.
All of the tracks on trailadvocate.org are all from actual hikes of the trails. Some of the tracks could be cleaned up a bit, but they are from actual hikes, so they should be about as accurate as you can get. Many of the trails deviate (sometimes significantly) from what is shown on the USGS maps.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 29th, 2015, 4:39 am

Hagbard Celine wrote:We ended up going to Siouxon Creek for Sunday-Monday on that weekend ... Interesting that you mentioned KepNW as I ran into him that day but he seemed deep in conversation with a hiking companion and I didn't want to interrupt so no formal introduction.
Oh shoot! I wish you had. I had an inkling that might've been you, as well, but didn't really see that glint of mutual recognition that I sometimes do, so didn't take a chance myself. Small world! Fist bumps, for sure, next time. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 29th, 2015, 5:48 am

Nice report! I'll have to add this one to my bucket list. :D

Matt, the pictures of what you call Emerald Pool look QUITE inviting!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 29th, 2015, 6:32 am

Nice TR - lovely photos! The color in those pools is amazing and they are enticing - but only if the air temp was 20 or more degrees higher. I've come up Elk Ck from the other direction (looping back via Welcome Lakes) and navigation in this area can be tricky due to fallen trees, creek crossings, and fire damage. Maybe next year you'll get the Red Buttes Wilderness on your vacation schedule? :)