Elowah Falls & McCord Creek (May 24)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Elowah Falls & McCord Creek (May 24)

Post by Splintercat » May 26th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Had a lovely morning at Elowah Falls on Sunday -- arrived early to beat the Memorial Day weekend crowds (just six cars counting mine at 8 AM) and passed dozens of families on the way out at 1 PM (and around 60 cars parked up and down the frontage road). Lots of wildflowers along the cliff section en route to the upper falls, but a very low McCord Creek... it's gonna be a long summer..! :?

Some photos from the trip, starting with kids celebrating the spray at Elowah Falls:

...and speaking of kids, the "pee tree" trail seems to get more pronounced every year... and the poison oak that surrounds it more lush! Oh, the stories that must follow from the unfortunate visitors to this private spot...! :shock: :lol:

The only truly annoying kid I encountered in the horde was this obnoxious teen who was bellowing to his family, on the switchbacks below -- I took secret delight to see him knee-deep in poison oak in his NBA shorts... and he'd been standing there for awhile (couldn't resist a covert photo):

Meanwhile, the upper falls was down to late summer water levels -- a comparison to a nearly identical date from a more typical year:

Among the many wildflowers, the familiar Stonecrop:

Howell's Daisy (I believe):

Western Columbine:

Columbia Gorge Daisy (love this one!):

Sort of an artsy view (not my strong suit, trying to practice this sort of thing more) of a Maidenhair Fern:

...and finally, a very wispy Elowah Falls:

Always a lovely hike! Kudos to all you moms, dads, grandpas and grandmas out there with your little ones on Sunday! I do love to see that! But please learn to ID that poison oak for this "mom I gotta go!!" moments..! :lol:

Tom :D

Chase

Re: Elowah Falls & McCord Creek (May 24)

Post by Chase » May 27th, 2015, 10:28 am

Excellent report. Seeing the falls side-by-side comparison is kind of scary for the summer. What will Tanner look like in September?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 27th, 2015, 11:51 am

Pretty low unless we have a wet summer! (which I am fine with, but I realize I'm in the minority… :lol: ) At this rate, it's going to be a tough year for fish, in particular. At a minimum, a wet September would at least help the fall migration..!

Tom

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 27th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Wow. That comparison shot of the water flows is depressing. :cry:
Love the pics even your artsy fartsy one.
Thanks,
Mike J

Chase

Post by Chase » May 28th, 2015, 11:34 am

In the newer photo of the comparison it looks like a dead branch in the upper left corner. Aside from that, the vegetation seems to be growing at a healthy rate.

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » May 28th, 2015, 1:25 pm

There is always a certain satisfaction seeing annoying people knee deep in Poison oak. When I did Dog two weeks ago there was a group of teens taking up the Augspurger trail, walking slowly and ignoring everyone coming up behind them and refusing to let people pass. We got to about 3 parties deep clustered right behind them before they finally stepped aside like we were the rude ones.

The worst one gave us all this glare like we ruined his day as we walked by completely oblivious to the bush of oak he was standing in. Serves him right, letting people faster than you pass is like hiking etiquette 101.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 29th, 2015, 12:16 am

Wow, your pictures are even more off the charts than they already were Splint. They're awesome! Too bad about the bellowing NBA derp, a solid case of poison oak crotch should straighten him out :D

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » June 2nd, 2015, 8:01 am

Love the flower shots!!
Woodswalker