Monte Carlo from McIlroy Saddle

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Monte Carlo from McIlroy Saddle

Post by bobcat » May 26th, 2015, 6:15 pm

There are many roads to Monte Carlo, and this was one I had not yet taken. I began from the McIlroy Saddle in Washington DNR’s Buck Creek area west of the White Salmon River. The route uses the Buck Creek Trail, which does a 21-mile loop around this drainage. I ascended Penny Ridge through secondary forest, soon emerging to get views back to the Columbia Gorge and cloud-enshrouded Mt. Hood. The trail eventually merges with an abandoned jeep track that runs along the ridge crest with blooming oak meadows on the left and maple/Douglas-fir woods on the right. A few big old growth trees stand sentinel, somewhat incongruously, alongside the meadows.
McIlroy Saddle Trailhead, Buck Creek Trail.jpg
Timberhead Mt. view, Penny Ridge.jpg
Taper-tip onion (Allium acuminatum), Penny Ridge.jpg
View to Mt. Hood, Penny Ridge.jpg
Buck Creek Trail, Penny Ridge.jpg
Big Douglas-firs, Penny Ridge.jpg
The area is a paradise for wildflower enthusiasts: there are no vast, color-saturated meadows for the photographing hordes, but an impressive variety of species survives on these slopes due to the microhabitats of the east/west transition zone and the changes in elevation (I identified about 90 species in bloom on this trip). On this lower stretch, balsamroot, lupine, paintbrush, long-leaf phlox, and dense clusters of three-foot-tall little sunflowers are trail companions. Higher up, the route reenters coniferous forest where silver fir and noble fir join the mix. The jeep track joins an infrequently used ATV track that takes you up to the southern point of Monte Carlo’s summit ridge, the eastern heel of the horseshoe-shaped Monte Cristo Range (Little Huckleberry Mountain is the western heel).
Little sunflower (Helianthella uniflora), Penny Ridge.jpg
Long-leaf phlox (Phlox longifolia), Penny Ridge.jpg
Buck Creek Trail sign, Penny Ridge.jpg
A series of meadows interspersed with small copses of montane woodland run along Monte Carlo’s level one-mile summit. The views are mainly to the west: Little Huckleberry Mountain rears prominently and then the spine of Indian Heaven topped by Lemei Rock. Nine-leaf desert parsley, ball-head waterleaf, upland larkspur, and paintbrush form part of the meadow palette. There are two small meadows and then a long meadow before you reach the northern meadow, with its western facing rock garden of penstemon, stonecrop, and desert parsley. Mt. Adams forms the backdrop. I turned around here, but the trail continues down to a saddle, from which you can ascend Monte Cristo and/or descend to the valley of the Little White Salmon River to the west.
Paintbrush, phlox, serviceberry, lupine, Monte Carlo.jpg
View to Little Huckleberry Mountain, Monte Carlo.jpg
Cascade mariposa lily (Calochortus subalpinus), Monte Carlo.jpg
Shrubby penstemon (Penstemon fruticosus), Monte Carlo.jpg
View to Lemei Rock, Monte Carlo.jpg
Broad nine-leaf desert parsley (Lomatium triternatum var. anomalum), Monte Carlo.jpg
Rock penstemon (Penstemon rupicola), Monte Carlo.jpg
Naked broomrape (Orobanche uniflora), Monte Carlo.jpg
Mt. Adams view, Monte Carlo.jpg
About 10 miles, 2,100’ elevation gain

Splintercat

Re: Monte Carlo from McIlroy Saddle

Post by Splintercat » May 27th, 2015, 11:48 am

Lovely blooms, John! I was having trouble orienting myself until I looked at the Lemei Rock photo (which I assume by the trees is north-facing?). As aways, I'm impressed by your intrepid explorations of the road less traveled..!

Tom :-)

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 28th, 2015, 9:13 am

I second Splintercat's remarks! I've seen this area in Craig Romano's book but have never ventured up there. Fantastic variety of bloom photos! You should share them w/ the Oregon Wildflower's facebook group. or Oregon Wildflowers
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

ErinL

Post by ErinL » May 30th, 2015, 8:51 am

Wow! Great photos. I don't think I've ever seen a shrubby penstemon before. Thanks for sharing this report.