Miracle on the Mountain - A Castle Ridge Adventure: 5-3-15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Miracle on the Mountain - A Castle Ridge Adventure: 5-3-15

Post by Sean Thomas » May 19th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Just a day or two after the near 40 mile Tanner-Herman mega loop Joie and I set out on another epic adventure in the Mt St Helens National Monument. The plan was to hike north from the Blue Lake TH along the western side of the mountain using the Toutle and Loowit Trails to bring us to the remote and little used Castle Ridge. Instead of trying to poke around for the lost Castle Lake segment we chose to stay on Castle Ridge and see how close we could get to(drumroll please!) you guessed it, Castle Peak :| :D We didn't make it all the way to Castle Peak but we found an amazing highpoint on the ridge that was not only in closer proximity to the mountain but also brought with it the same blissful nature that is to be expected from a place on this earth that carries so much beauty:

We started the day off at the Blue Lake TH near you guessed it again, Blue Lake. Joie had much more energy than me on this day and was off to the races while I was still trying to figure out how to drag my sorry ass out of bed :D

Getting closer to Blue Lake and some breakfast before the hike over to the South Fork Toutle:

As we neared the junction with Sheep canyon we got a look across the river drainage at the highpoint we would be having our lunch on:

Just a little ways before Sheep Canyon still and there was a small slide that has taken out part of the trail:

Arriving at our first Toutle crossing of the day and Jo was ready to get in and out for the haul up to the Castle Ridge junction:

At peace amongst the rubble:

Notice how clear the water was on our first crossing:

Climbing out with the assist of the rope, there are now ropes on both sides of the canyon to aid hikers in and out of the rock and ash laden riverbed:

We worked our way out of the bottom of the canyon and made the final long switchback up to the Castle Ridge junction. Many of the trails that traverse ash/debris covered slopes that were so heavily damaged by the blast get better at the end of each summer/hiking season. Early in the season and sometimes you're essentially making the trail ;)

We did see one other hiker :)

And a lotta mountain :o

The sound of rock fall chimed in every so often as we kept on toward the ridge:

A closer look into the rugged lifeblood(well headwaters) of the South Fork Toutle River:

Once we reached the Castle Ridge Trail it was like living in a private little wonderland for the time being. By now it was already early/mid afternoon and time to find a place for lunch after the long hike in:

There were some absolutely incredible views of Castle Lake as we traversed the ridge stopping constantly to take in the views:

Not long after the junction with Castle Lake and we were closing in on the little used TH that sits right on the western edge of the monument. We decided to bag the Castle Peak idea and save it for another day opting to hit a short off-trail ascent of one of the highpoints on the ridge:

It sat just a short distance above the trail but up on top things really opened up.

Looking over towards Castle Peak:

And out toward the mountain with a dressing of phlox and stonecrop in the foreground:

Despite never wanting to leave such a beautiful place Jo and I climbed back down to the trail and began the hike back to the Toutle River. It's always tough to step away from a moment like the one we were experiencing on the mountain that day. But in the grand scheme of things it seems all for the better as those moments wouldn't have been nearly as sweet had they been everlasting.

Of course its not so bad when you're getting to look at this on your way back :lol:

Luck would also have it that the true keepers of the mountain would be out on a Sunday stroll:

They must be really liking the terrain around the South Fork as I've seen them down there the past three times I've been through the Toutle:

The last picture sequence was taken around dinner time while we crossed the Toutle River, notice the difference in the water compared to earlier:

Miracles are made in the Mt St Helens National Monument ;)

mattisnotfrench

Re: Miracle on the Mountain - A Castle Ridge Adventure: 5-3-

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 19th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Man, I need to go here someday. I've always wondered about the Castle Lake and Castle Ridge Trails. Maybe someday I'll do it...

Another top-notch trip report.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 20th, 2015, 6:09 am

A mighty fine adventure and trip report.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 20th, 2015, 7:11 am

Sean Thomas wrote:
It sat just a short distance above the trail but up on top things really opened up.

It's cool how the trees completely disappear on the other side of the ridgeline. Great report!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 20th, 2015, 8:51 am

Looks like a most-awesome day. I definitely need to get over that way. Only been as far as the Toutle crossing. Seemed like near-constant rockfall, that day, into Sheep Canyon. Amazing how much that river changed in just a few hours! Great report, thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 20th, 2015, 2:54 pm

That nice viewpoint is Peak 4562 and coincidently, I plan on going up there tomorrow. Thanks for a great TR and especially for the photos of most of my planned route. It’s a long hike and you have removed some of the doubt about the level of vegetation and the condition of the Toutle crossing.

The other peaks on my agenda are in your second photo copied here: Center is Castle Peak and the rounded one lower and to the right is Peak 4353. The one farther away and to the left is Spud Mt.
Sean Thomas wrote: As we neared the junction with Sheep canyon we got a look across the river drainage at the highpoint we would be having our lunch on:

Looking over towards Castle Peak:

thanks again!!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » May 21st, 2015, 12:49 pm

It's just mind boggling to me the wealth of choices we have in our area. Great TR and pics. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks,
Mike J