Sleeping Beauty

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Sleeping Beauty

Post by drm » May 17th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Had a relatively short amount of time today and decided to try this and hope the clouds were just about right. They were a bit more than that but still a nice and pleasant day up there. Despite how remote that trail is, I've always seen other hikers, even on weekdays. Today there were a half dozen other hiking groups.

Cloud variations

Still snow on some peak in Indian Heaven

Sean Thomas

Re: Sleeping Beauty

Post by Sean Thomas » May 18th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Great shots drm. I wonder why Sleeping Beauty is so popular other than the obvious in that it's awesome. Do you think its people from the Willamette Valley or more people from surrounding areas in the gorge or to the east, maybe a mix of both?

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 19th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Great shots drm. I wonder why Sleeping Beauty is so popular other than the obvious in that it's awesome. Do you think its people from the Willamette Valley or more people from surrounding areas in the gorge or to the east, maybe a mix of both?
I'm not sure either, but way back when we first moved here, it was one of the first forays we did and neither of us knew much about hiking at all. I think we were just car camping out there and driving forest roads and saw a sign, checked it out. Maybe it's just signed well? :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » May 20th, 2015, 6:47 am

Sean - My guess is that it is fairly popular with the Trout Lake Valley locals, as it is not so far for them, and they would also be less discouraged by the 6 miles or so of unpaved road, though the section from the campground to the final turn is in pretty good shape. That last one third mile is a bit rougher still.

But I also think that people who stop by the ranger's office in Trout Lake asking for a hike with a view may be directed there. Once you are in Trout Lake, it isn't so much further and it's not like anything else comparable is closer.

Lastly, despite its steepness, it's a well maintained trail with great footing (already logged for the season), so trail runners looking for something shorter and steeper like it.