Rogue River Trail 5/8 to 5/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jim57

Rogue River Trail 5/8 to 5/12

Post by Jim57 » May 14th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Myself and bro in law Peter went to Rogue Wilderness Adventures in Merlin, Oregon. Paid for them to store our vehicle, drop us off at the Grave Creek Trailhead, and 5 days later leave the vehicle at the Foster Bar.
I originally wanted to do it in 4 days but Peter convinced me 5 days. I’m grateful to people that help me slow my life down.
The BLM has a 19 page pdf file on the hike that has lots of information.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 346991.pdf

The Rogue has history. It’s fills me with awe. Joyful

First night - a sandy beach - my least favorite
Second night - Kelsey Creek - Great
Third night - Tucker Flat Campground - Awesome
Forth night - Tate Creek - no so great. Go around the corner 2 tenths of a mile Tacoma much better.

West side of the Meadow Creek Bridge mile 13.2 - My bro in law Peter went down the small trail to get water. I heard the rattle, heard him screaming and saw him running. A rattlesnake coiled and shaking his rattle. We went back and stood on the bridge. Watched the snake crawl away in the bushes. Whew!

So we saw three deer, 2 bears on the south side, 1 rattlesnake, poison oak, mosquitos (they be biting)
Attachments
DSCN3813.JPG
Grave Creek Trailhead
DSCN3826.JPG
Whiskey Creek Cabin
DSCN3855.JPG
Peter and Poison Oak. Lots and Lots everywhere
DSCN3872.JPG
Spent the 2nd night at Kelsey Creek. Great Campsite
DSCN3884.JPG
Zane Grey's Cabin
DSCN3894.JPG
Peter panning for gold with a gold pan we bought at a Portland metal detector shop. No nuggets but fun times.
DSCN3896.JPG
DSCN3898.JPG
New stuff this year for me. Osprey exos 58 pack, big agnes fly creek ul2, tossed the hydro bag and used two smart water bottles, split my food between a small bear bag and a small bear vault bv450, a new blue poo shovel - the deuce of spades .6 oz
DSCN3902.JPG
Rogue River Ranch. This was a seasonal Native American camp for over 8,000 years. Wow!
DSCN3937.JPG
DSCN3962.JPG
DSCN3966.JPG
DSCN3974.JPG
Almost to the Foster Bar and a trail Angel gave myself and Peter a beer.

retired jerry

Re: Rogue River Trail 5/8 to 5/12

Post by retired jerry » May 14th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Nice!

When the rattler rattles, you're supposed to grab your camera, not scream : )

Green gold pan on pack

The gold pan is more for finding out where the gold is. You need a sluice to get any gold.

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » May 19th, 2015, 8:40 pm

We did walk back to the bridge and watched the snake disappear into the bushes. Wouldn't have made a very good picture. No gold nuggets in the creek for us but panning (playing in the creek) added lot's of extra fun. My cheap coolpix camera was under creek water for a couple of minutes. I thought it was done. But after it dried out worked just fine. A small miracle indeed.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 19th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Wow, awesome TR and pics, 57. I was just thinking about a backpack down there but have never been. Sounds like there were plenty of thrills to keep you guys on your toes with the snake and all. Also I would have screamed and ran as well :lol:

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » May 20th, 2015, 2:01 pm

The second part of the adventure was the drive home. We ended our hike at the Foster Bar. My truck had been dropped off by Rogue Wilderness Adventures. I had a State of Oregon Map to navigate my way home. Ha! Which way to go? Head to Gold Beach and up the Oregon coast to Portland? We thought lets head east to Glendale right next to I-5. We wound up doing 16 miles of gravel single lane road then 41 miles of single lane road then onto Glendale and I-5. Twisty turning road the entire way. Beautiful and scenic beyond expectation. But a little rough on the nerves