Just another McKenzie Monday 4/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Just another McKenzie Monday 4/20

Post by pdxgene » April 20th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Highway wide open, trails deserted, warm to hot sunshine , light breeze , cool river to walk alongside and tall trees to walk under (still missing in action -- blue in the sky .. stupid dust from Asia... :x ).. That pretty much covers it..
Starting with the noonish rainbow at Koosah Falls..

Scenes from the McKenzie River along the Waterfalls Trail/McKenzie River Trail loop..

Scenes from Sahalie Falls..

The little blue dot is me.. :lol:

Moving on to the loop trail around Clear Lake..

Great Spring, source of Clear Lake (which is in turn the source of the McKenzie River)..

Back to the trail around the lake..

Finishing up with the Three Sisters off in the distant haze..

What a day :D
Album here... http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/ClearLake20

It's a kind of modified figure eight with the two loop trails and the short connector trail along the McKenzie between them. in the 9-10 mile or so range with small rolling hills and little to no elevation gain. Walking thru the lava sections can be a bit tough on the feet but most of the rest of it is on soft cushy pine needle filled dirt.
It's all highway to get there so the added distance can be covered in the same time as a shorter trip that involves forest service roads. It's easily within daytrip distance.
One annoying thing on the way home... we were really looking forward to one of those huge milkshakes from Frothy Top along the highway there by Stayton. And it was closed. It's $#&!ing 80 degrees outside, your big sign advertises ice cream and milkshakes and you're closed at 4pm. Grrr :x

woodswalker

Re: Just another McKenzie Monday 4/20

Post by woodswalker » April 21st, 2015, 9:35 am

Wow really beautiful. Somehow I became slightly bored with that area when I lived in Eugene. Seeing your pictures, I'm wondering how that could have been possible. It makes me want to see it again the next time I'm in the area.
Woodswalker

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 21st, 2015, 11:52 am

Thanx! I really like that you get different colors all thru the year. Even in winter when everywhere else is either white or dead.
And for the fishing type folks... ODFW just yesterday stocked the lake..

kelkev

Post by kelkev » April 21st, 2015, 3:27 pm

Good to hear ODFW stocked the lake. Clear Lake is one of the premier Osprey watching spots in Oregon. My wife and I love to grab a bench on the trail and watch them dive for fish. Early evening is perfect when the wind and water is calm.

The upper McKenzie is one of my all time favorite places!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir