Table Mountain Loop from Aldrich Butte TH 4/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
EThiker

Table Mountain Loop from Aldrich Butte TH 4/18

Post by EThiker » April 19th, 2015, 10:33 am

Hi! I have been using your fantastic field guide and lurking on your forums for the last couple of years and finally figured I should contribute and participate. :)

Yesterday, seeing the amazing weather, I returned to Table Mountain after having done it once from Hot Springs Resort two years ago. This time I was mentally prepared for the degree of steepness, the length of the talus slope and the lack of trail markings. Last time it was all somewhat a surprise (despite having read the field guide) but we still loved the hike.

I arrived at the Aldrich Butte TH at around 9:45 to see about 10 cars. Right from the start there was a dilemma as the guide said there is a fork and to take the "left", but actually there were 3 paths leading out. I quickly checked the leftmost path that led parallel to the powerlines and found that it continued along the lines and did not head into the forest, so the middle upwards one was the one to take. From here the directions were excellent describing the two junctions at Carpenter Lake. In the section where the trail crisscrosses with the PCT, it wasn't very clear to me which points corresponded to the junctions described in the guide, but I just followed the trail that looked the widest and like a "road," making sure I was generally heading north along the creek and it got me to the Heartbreak Ridge trail. An arrow of wooden branches on the ground also helped along the way.

What's up with the fancy sign at Heartbreak Ridge tail now telling you nothing about Heartbreak Ridge? The markings scratched below the sign on the wood were more useful... "East way ---> can loop back"/"West way." Anyway, the climb up to Heartbreak Ridge was about as hard as I remembered but the talus slope was more fun this time with my knee being in better shape. A little bit more climbing and I was at the top! Mount Hood was plainly visible from the south cliffs. It was a little bit hazy at noon and I think it would probably be better later in the day?

I idled on the south cliffs and had a snack, then wandered over to the north side to see Mts. St. Helen's, Adams, and Rainier. There were patches of flowers, but I am not good at flower ID (should have taken pictures!).

Then the descent on the west route, the part about this hike I don't like. I slipped down this stretch that feels so much longer than 0.8 mile and got back to the PCT. Back at the TH a little past 2pm, there were about 20 cars now, but still plenty of space. I think I like this route more than Hot Springs. I vaguely remember the first mile from Hot Springs being more confusing and overgrown, but that was in June.

Cheers.
IMG_4155.JPG
Table Mountain from Heartbreak Ridge
IMG_4156.JPG
Talus slope
IMG_4161.JPG
Mount Hood from Gorge Overlook
IMG_4163.JPG
3 mountains in view from north side
IMG_4165.JPG
View of the gorge

UTurn

Re: Table Mountain Loop from Aldrich Butte TH 4/18

Post by UTurn » April 20th, 2015, 6:47 am

Beautiful pictures!

PolishRhino

Post by PolishRhino » April 20th, 2015, 10:16 am

I've been lurking on this site for a few years. This is my first forum post.

Did this hike yesterday using directions in Day Hiking Columbia River Gorge (Craig Romano). Had no problem following the route on the way up via the talus slope. Reached the top at noon--around the same time as the OP. Caught Hood, Adams, Rainier and St. Helens peaking out through the haze.

Went down the westside trail, which is in pretty bad shape and has a lot of loose rock. The talus slope seems like the better descent route.

Missed a turn on the way down and ended up heading SE on the PCT for about a mile. Eventually came to an intersection with another trail (PCT spur trail?) heading SW back to Carpenters Lake. This area could use better signage.

Overall, a great day in the gorge.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 21st, 2015, 9:31 am

Looks like great views up there!!
Woodswalker