WNC waterfalls, 12 Apr 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
chiefWright

WNC waterfalls, 12 Apr 2015

Post by chiefWright » April 13th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Oh, how we love our Oregon waterfalls, and justifiably proud are we of them.

However, I may be spending a good bit of my time on business travel to the Carolinas over the next year and probably won't have a lot of spare time to get my Columbia Gorge waterfall fix. This last week is one such trip that needed to overlap last weekend. Hearing that the Blue Ridge Province in Western North Carolina was a hot spot for waterfalls, I headed out that way over the weekend to inspect. I was not disappointed!
PICT0091.JPG
Whitewater Falls, Nantahala NF
The Appalachia are old. Really, really old. They were already ground down pretty good when most of Oregon was still offshore waiting to get welded onto the North American plate. The Blue Ridge is the eroded "rift-flank uplift" remnant that occured when the NA and Eurasian/African plates parted ways at the mid-atlantic ridge about 250 mya. Of course this happend long, long after the ancestral Appalacians themselves had been uplifted starting about 450 mya. Anyway, the sea level shot up about 100 mya and started whittling away at the uplift, leaving behind a rocky coastline. That boundary erosion, togther with a pretty major fault left behind the Blue Ridge Escarpment, a nice elevation feature that's quite amenable to waterfalls and the like.

That escarpment was formed out of the hard-as-nails roots of the ancestral Appalacians-- metamorphic gneiss and such.

Here's the kicker. These are waterfalls that could have existed (in one form or another) long before there was even a Columbia Gorge to have waterfalls! Humbling, no?
PICT0056.JPG
Hooker Falls, DuPont SP
PICT0061.JPG
Triple falls, DuPont SP
PICT0075.JPG
Lookingglass falls, Pisgah NF
PICT0078.JPG
Second falls, Yellowstone Prong, Blue Ridge Parkway NP
PICT0088.JPG
Rainbow falls, Gorges SP
So may I quote the words of a hymn to Sebelius' Finlandia:

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,
and sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;
but other lands have sunlight too, and clover,
and skies are everywhere as blue as mine:
O hear my song, thou God of all the nations,
a song of peace for their land and for mine.

Great God, I love this land!

rainrunner

Re: WNC waterfalls, 12 Apr 2015

Post by rainrunner » April 15th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Nice report and pictures.
I love the mountains in that part of the country, it kind of reminds me of the cascades minus the volcanoes.
It has so much beauty and history that you could spend an entire vacation just exploring one small section.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 15th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Hey that's awesome! Thanx for sharin
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » April 16th, 2015, 9:14 am

Cool, nice waterfalls. My brother lived in northern Virginia for a while. When I visited him we did a couple hikes in Shenandoah National Park. Falls galore there, too. Did a nice loop up one creek and down another.