Spring Wildflowers - Lower Table Rock (S Oregon) 21-Mar-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Spring Wildflowers - Lower Table Rock (S Oregon) 21-Mar-2015

Post by VanMarmot » March 21st, 2015, 4:24 pm

The Upper and Lower Table Rocks are located just N of Medford and are well known for their vernal pools and Spring wildflower displays, and are also reserves for certain species of endangered wildflowers [the dwarf wooly meadowfoam (Limnanthes floccosa ssp. pumila) grows nowhere else but on the top of the Table Rocks]. Their two THs are a short ways from I-5, with ample parking (except possibly after 10 am on weekends) and toilets. The trails to the flowers are short (3-5 mi RT, 700-800' EG) and easy to follow (think Angel's Rest but much easier) - they are described here and are Hike #31 in Sullivan's Southern Oregon guide. We've been doing Lower Table Rock (the longer hike of the two) periodically since we moved here, but I've held off posting a TR until the start of the wildflower season - which is NOW with its peak in April. The grass widows have come -and mostly gone - but a host of other species are starting to blossom. What follows is a composite of several trips to Lower Table during the past 3 months, including one today.

The trail starts out through a white oak savannah community,

with an occasional pine tree included for variety,

up through more oaks heavy with lichen,

then into a black oak and madrone mixed woodland community,

then a chaparral community (mainly buck brush, Ceanothus),

before popping out on the remarkably flat top of the plateau - so flat that it was used as an airport until 1990.

There were days earlier this year when the valley fog rose up high enough to cut visibility across the plateau to near zero,

and the sun had to work hard to burn it off,

so we could get the big view of Mt. McLoughlin.

You can walk down the old runway - now just a wide dirt trail - to the southern tip of the rock, which gives you a good view of the basalt flows that form its eastern escarpment,

and of the Rogue Valley,

and, if you're really lucky, of one of the red-tailed hawks that perch and nest on the cliffs.

Vernal pool fairy shrimp (Branchinecta lynchi), federally listed as threatened, inhabit the seasonally-formed vernal pools found on the tops of both rocks (pools).

The remarkable diversity of the Table Rocks includes a spectacular Spring wildflower display of over 75 species - not all of whom are out yet. Of those that are out, the following photos probably don't do them justice.

Henderson's fawn lily

Goldfields

Manzanita

Red Bells (Fritillaria recurva)

Buck brush

Popcorn flower

The odd mushroom

And, last but not least, everyone's favorite - Toxicodendron diversilobum - which grows lavishly all around the plateau and whose itchy presence encourages you to stay on established trails.

Not long or hard hikes but well worth it if you have an interest in wildflowers and have a couple of hours to spare while passing through the Medford area. Recommended for botanical enthusiasts! :D

adamschneider

Re: Spring Wildflowers - Lower Table Rock (S Oregon) 21-Mar-

Post by adamschneider » March 21st, 2015, 4:38 pm

Wow, the pink fawn lilies and red bells are almost worth a road trip!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 21st, 2015, 11:39 pm

Thanks for another awesome report, VM! That last picture is fear inducing :shock:

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 22nd, 2015, 7:05 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Thanks for another awesome report, VM! That last picture is fear inducing :shock:
Thanks! And, yes, the prevalence of poison oak in certain areas down here is scary and certainly makes you think twice about just going XC on a whim!

kelkev

Post by kelkev » March 22nd, 2015, 7:23 am

neat spot - I haven't been up there for 20+ years. I do remember the prolific poison oak, and my last visit we were visited by low swooping Turkey Vultures on the summit. Love the Red Tail Hawk photo!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Lapereau

Post by Lapereau » March 22nd, 2015, 8:52 am

Thanks! You are my hero from Southern Oregon.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 24th, 2015, 5:54 am

Always wanted to get up to those buttes when I lived there. Good to see what the top looks like.
Woodswalker