Lava Canyon Bike n' Hike 3/1

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BeaverDawg

Lava Canyon Bike n' Hike 3/1

Post by BeaverDawg » March 2nd, 2015, 9:25 am

We hopped on our bikes in search of adventure at Lava Canyon yesterday. The weather was disturbingly spectacular as we pedaled our way along still-gated road NF-83. The distance one way from Marble Mountain (non)Snowpark to Lava Canyon is 5 miles. With an elevation gain of only 200 ft it was a fun and easy ride. Marble Mountain was relatively busy with climbers but the road was completely deserted. The only other mammal we saw all day was what we believe to be a small bear. As we pedaled along, 1/2 mile past June Lake TH we saw a small brown furry thing about 75 yards ahead lumber off the road into the trees. Based on the gait we guess it to be a bear but can't confirm. Road 83 is in fine shape with no blow-down at all. Restrooms at LC are open thanks to some punks who hammered the locks. :evil: We decided on a leisurely day so we just hiked to the suspension bridge and back. There was only a small amount of ice on the trail - no traction required.

When we got back to Marble Mt we talked with the ranger for a while. She was a wealth of info and expressed concern for how the unusual weather will impact the hibernation and feeding cycles for various creatures. USFS is not requiring snow park passes due to lack of snow. In fact they have not plowed one time all season. She said if the weather stays snow-free the gates may open by April 1st.

ZLCTR (1 of 10).jpg
Where's the snow?
ZLCTR (2 of 10).jpg
Cruising through the Lahar.
ZLCTR (3 of 10).jpg
Dawg in the sunshine
ZLCTR (4 of 10).jpg
Snack time at the 1st bridge.
ZLCTR (5 of 10).jpg
We carefully looked over at the waterfall.
ZLCTR (6 of 10).jpg
The water was crystal clear and beautiful.
ZLCTR (7 of 10).jpg
Deserted bridge.
ZLCTR (8 of 10).jpg
I dare you to touch the ants.
ZLCTR (9 of 10).jpg
Loowit from the Lahar
ZLCTR (10 of 10).jpg
Heading home...

kepPNW

Re: Lava Canyon Bike n' Hike 3/1

Post by kepPNW » March 2nd, 2015, 10:51 am

I need to get a bike rack! That's an excellent idea to pedal in from Marble Mountain, especially now that the permits aren't being enforced anymore! (Also good info to have!) Thanks for the inspiration to get back up there again. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 2nd, 2015, 1:10 pm

The 81 road gate is now opened, as is the Blue Lake TH.

So happy they opened the gates for us.

Take a lesson here MHNF!!
:x

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » March 2nd, 2015, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info Q! We may need to do a Blue Lake loop or Butte Camp trip soon.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 2nd, 2015, 5:24 pm

BeaverDawg wrote:Thanks for the info Q! We may need to do a Blue Lake loop or Butte Camp trip soon.
I hiked passed Butte Camp Dome yesterday en route to the Loowit.
Excellent hiking conditions right now.

The Loowit was tracked out from both the east and the west.
I imagine Sheep Canyon might be tracked out too

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 2nd, 2015, 10:19 pm

Awesome idea for a hike n bike, BD! I might doing something similar this Friday or Saturday thanks to your TR :D