Frog Pond Meadow (S Oregon) 01-Mar-2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Frog Pond Meadow (S Oregon) 01-Mar-2015

Post by VanMarmot » March 2nd, 2015, 7:40 am

We decided to celebrate the start of meteorological Spring with a short hike on the northern edge of the Red Buttes Wilderness.

This hike is actually in California (barely) but the road access is from Oregon, so we're calling it an Oregon hike. Or, more accurately, a State of Jeferson hike - but enough with the names already! ;)

From the easy to find TH,

we climbed up through a forest of very, very large cedars and firs,

made intimate contact with a Brewer's spruce growing next to the trail,

walked through the paltry results of our latest "snow storm," :(

before arriving at the large meadow holding the Frog Pond.

At the side of the meadow are the remains of a prospector's cabin that was built within the trunks of seven large incense cedars. The walls were split cedar planks - it must have smelled great and been free of moths! According to Ruediger, it was built in the 1920s by a John Knox McCloy who lived and prospected in this area for over 50 years. He was described by locals as "having gone completely native."

Although it was brilliantly sunny, it wasn't particularly warm and there was still a crust of ice on the pond.

We continued along the trail around the S end of the Frog Pond, past a very rare grove of Alaskan yellow cedar,

and up to a divide between Frog Pond Gulch and French Gulch, where we caught a glimpse (this hike isn't big on views) of Pyramid Peak (p) and Swan Mountain (s) to the W.

We had lunch at the divide, then went through Cameron Meadows,

Image\\

past yet another huge cedar,

and a small pond not shown in the map,

before plunging down the ridge above French Gulch to the TH - doing this hike counter-clockwise as we did is recommended. A short hike (7.9 mi, 1900' EG) but one that is of botanical and historical interest and offers a quick introduction to this wilderness area.

rainrunner

Re: Frog Pond Meadow (S Oregon) 01-Mar-2015

Post by rainrunner » March 2nd, 2015, 1:27 pm

Looks like a great hike. Those cedars are huge, do they get much larger?
I hope we get some snow before the chance for any significant snow passes.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

VanMarmot

Re: Frog Pond Meadow (S Oregon) 01-Mar-2015

Post by VanMarmot » March 2nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

rainrunner wrote:Looks like a great hike. Those cedars are huge, do they get much larger?
I hope we get some snow before the chance for any significant snow passes.
I think some of the ones along the Butte Fork and around Cedar Flat are as large, if not larger (Butte Fk TR). Fortunately, the cedars around here were included in the wilderness before logging them became an issue.

So far, we've had mostly either cold temps and no precip or warm temps with precip (which then melted what snow there was). Last year was a low snow year in S Oregon and it looks like it's shaping up that way again. :( Great for winter hiking but I worry about the coming wildfire season.