Indian Mountain (and an otter in Wahtum Lake)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Indian Mountain (and an otter in Wahtum Lake)

Post by drm » March 1st, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hiked up Indian Mountain today from the Wahtum Lake trailhead. Chilly at first, maybe an inch or two of new snow on most of the shady parts of the trail, maybe 2-3 inches near the Indian Mtn summit. But glorious sunshine up there and barely a breeze.

So have others seen otters in Wahtum Lake? How could it get there?
im 3.jpg
An otter in Wahtum Lake, a little one
im 1.jpg
looking south from the summit
im 2.jpg
looking north to the volcanoes from the ridge

RobinB

Re: Indian Mountain (and an otter in Wahtum Lake)

Post by RobinB » March 1st, 2015, 9:23 pm

Very nice! How was the road there? Any snow?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 2nd, 2015, 7:12 am

Pretty unique sighting! River otters live in marshes, lakes, ponds, streams and estuaries. Their homes range from coastal areas to high mountain lakes. They've been reported as traveling as far as 25 mi/day. My guess is that one (or more) could have worked his/her way up the Whatum Lake drainage from the Columbia.

drm

Post by drm » March 2nd, 2015, 7:43 am

There was a smattering of new snow on the road just before arriving. I can't imagine it will last long.

As to the otter working up there from the Columbia, doesn't that means somehow getting up Tunnel Falls? Otters are incredible animals, but . . . but Tunnel Falls?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 2nd, 2015, 7:54 am

drm wrote:There was a smattering of new snow on the road just before arriving. I can't imagine it will last long.

As to the otter working up there from the Columbia, doesn't that means somehow getting up Tunnel Falls? Otters are incredible animals, but . . . but Tunnel Falls?
There was an otter in Lost Lake a couple weeks ago too. There's plenty of fish in those lakes and small streams around. It seems like it might make a pretty good habitat for them.. They can always go around any waterfalls or other obstacles on land.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 2nd, 2015, 8:07 am

Great idea with Indian Mountain right now and even better seeing a river otter. Saw your report and started researching a little bit and was reading about how they're up at Lost Lake a lot. Came back to say that but of course gene has already seen one :lol:

I saw a couple under the Ecola Creek bridge on the north end of Cannon Beach when I was a kid, maybe 10-12 years ago. That's the only time I've ever seen river otters in the wild though, would be awesome to see one swimming around Wahtum :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 2nd, 2015, 8:13 am

Wow I had just assumed the road to Wahtum would be packed ice in at least several stetches.
Hmmmm....
Woodswalker

obera

Post by obera » March 2nd, 2015, 8:24 am

ooooh, the road to Wahtum is doable. So much opportunity! Thanks for the info - great hike!
oh-beer-ah

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 2nd, 2015, 5:13 pm

drm wrote:There was a smattering of new snow on the road just before arriving. I can't imagine it will last long.
This is awesome news!!

Thanks DRM