St. Helens 2.15.2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
aivysaurus

St. Helens 2.15.2015

Post by aivysaurus » February 18th, 2015, 9:09 am

Amazing weekend to be up at St. Helens! I took one of my friends who is fairly new to alpine hiking. A good intro mountain that isn't too scary or dangerous, but still adds in a little kick of mountaineering!

We began the trek at Marble sno-park at roughly 8:40am. It is a pretty clear distinct trail for most of the way. We did get a little lost once we got out of the treeline, but we figured it out once we saw people on a different trail. The turnoff out off the treeline is a little tricky because there isn't a sign that points you where to turn. When you come across a section where the lava use to flow, then you basically just have to cross that.

We didn't hit snow until about 5100', and we didn't strap on any crampons until 6000'. We came across quite a number of people wearing microspikes. I spoke with several of them for a bit and each of them wished they had crampons, but the warm weather helped with softening the icy sections.

Up we go!

The lower level behind us

Rainier from the crater

Testing out the new gadget. At least my wrist is a good temperature.

Summit crater view!

Only one at the top with shorts! :D :lol: 8-)

Making our way down

Adams in the sunset

miah66

Re: St. Helens 2.15.2015

Post by miah66 » February 18th, 2015, 9:24 am

What kind of crampons are you using? It looks like you're not wearing mountaineering boots?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aivysaurus

Post by aivysaurus » February 18th, 2015, 9:35 am

miah66 wrote:What kind of crampons are you using? It looks like you're not wearing mountaineering boots?
I am wearing the Salewa Raven Combi GTX mountaineering boots with a pair of Black Diamond contact strap crampons.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » February 18th, 2015, 10:33 am

This is just so great. Just so totally awesome. What a beautiful bluebird day for you.

What do you think of the Salewa Raven Combi GTX boots? I just read some quick reviews on them which were very positve. I'm looking for something for Mt Adams...
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 18th, 2015, 11:22 am

aivysaurus wrote:Only one at the top with shorts! :D :lol: 8-)
Right on! We went up on Jan 30, and same deal here. One lady even hollered out, "Way to rock the shorts!", on our way up. :lol: But how could anything else be appropriate in this sort of weather? I think it was 72° when we first hit the rim! 8-)
    #GoHawks #WeAre12 (This was 2 days before The Game, afterall.)
aivysaurus wrote:We didn't hit snow until about 5100', and we didn't strap on any crampons until 6000'. We came across quite a number of people wearing microspikes. I spoke with several of them for a bit and each of them wished they had crampons, but the warm weather helped with softening the icy sections.
We put on the microspikes at the seismic station (~6000'), and wore them the entire time above that. Considered switching to snowshoes on the way down, as it was starting to slushify a bit. (Not sure crampons would've helped there much, either.) Never a worry on the way up, though. I suppose it's even more icy now, after another few weeks of non-stop freeze/thaw.
    The worst we faced.
Looks like you picked an equally wonderful day to be up there! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » February 20th, 2015, 8:03 am

Amazing wide angle shot of the crater with Rainier and Adams in the background. Superb report and pictures.

I guess Adams is hidden behind the flag in Karl's picture. That's a wonderful picture too.

72F seems be better than when it was in October when we were at the crater rim.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 20th, 2015, 8:35 am

hiker4fun wrote:Amazing wide angle shot of the crater with Rainier and Adams in the background. Superb report and pictures.
Indeed. :)
hiker4fun wrote:I guess Adams is hidden behind the flag in Karl's picture. That's a wonderful picture too.

72F seems be better than when it was in October when we were at the crater rim.
Probably Goat Rocks behind the flag. Adams would've been a bit more to the right, out of the shot. This last time up was *way* nicer weather on top than when I was up there a couple Octobers ago, too! Hardly enough breeze to get any decent 12th Man Flag shots! ;)
Karl

sergey

Post by sergey » February 25th, 2015, 11:04 am

aivysaurus wrote:We came across quite a number of people wearing microspikes. I spoke with several of them for a bit and each of them wished they had crampons, but the warm weather helped with softening the icy sections.
Nice pictures.

It is quite possible that my wife and I were some of these folks you were talking with about microspikes :-)
We started a bit earlier that you (about 5 am), and when we've got to the upper part of the mountain it was still pretty icy.

Our pictures from that day: https://picasaweb.google.com/skiselev/M ... elensClimb

jessbee

Post by jessbee » February 25th, 2015, 4:26 pm

What's the deal with Sno-Park permits? I understand my Oregon permit is useless there. So what is the state of Washington charging for a Sno-Park day permit these days? Can't figure it out from their awful wesbite.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 25th, 2015, 4:34 pm

jessbee wrote:What's the deal with Sno-Park permits? I understand my Oregon permit is useless there. So what is the state of Washington charging for a Sno-Park day permit these days? Can't figure it out from their awful wesbite.
It's $20/day or $40/year, and they're tied to a single vehicle. You can buy them online here.
Karl