Oregon's north coast: some mini-hikes

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Oregon's north coast: some mini-hikes

Post by bobcat » December 31st, 2014, 8:55 am

In December, I had occasion to go to the coast a couple of times: the first trip was with my wife as we celebrated our wedding anniversary (the 26th!!); the other also involved trolling the stretch of coast between Highway 26 and Highway 6 (leaving out the best destination in that stretch: Oswald West State Park). Both times, I managed to get off and do mini-hikes at a variety of destinations. Here they are, from north to south:

1. Ecola Creek Forest Reserve

Cannon Beach gets its drinking water supply from three springs in this reserve. You can hike in up a road to some big Sitka spruce. Once the road rises up the hill, there are several ancient cedars, each several hundred years old. There’s also a footpath that leads around a hillside. We tiptoed along it, trying to avoid stomping on legions of migrating newts. To finish the loop, you have to ford Ecola Creek’s West Fork. I allowed Tina to go first, saying I “had her back” as I scouted for voracious salmon and other water monsters.
Sitka spruce, Ecola Creek Forest Reserve.jpg
Big cedar in the woods, Ecola Creek Forest Reserve.jpg
Fording the West Fork Ecola Creek, Ecola Creek Forest Reserve.jpg
2. Cannon Beach Nature Trail

This short trail can be hiked from the main Cannon Beach parking lots. First, we went around the water treatment lagoons, which support a variety of waterfowl – hooded mergansers, green-winged teals, and buffleheads among them. Past the aeration ponds, there’s a sliver of Sitka spruce woodland with a trail through it. North of the water treatment facility, a path leads along a wetland and Ecola Creek itself. Past the high school, you can hike out to the beach.
Overlooking the sludge lagoons, Cannon Beach Nature Trail.jpg
Big stride, Cannon Beach Nature Trail.jpg
Barn on Ecola Creek from Fir Street Bridge, Cannon Beach Nature Trail.jpg
3. Arcadia Cedar

Recently measured as Oregon’s biggest tree, based on a points system, the Arcadia Cedar resides in a patch of the Clatsop State Forest opposite Arcadia Beach. I received very good, should I say excellent, directions from a Portland Hiker of unblemished repute, but the printed instructions became a soggy illegible ball on the rainy day my wife and I sought it out. Thus, we ended up at the decoy tree and only realized our mistake when we looked at photos of the real thing. Upon my return, I found the real one, and lots of other ancient, gnarly old cedars besides.
Other side of the decoy tree, Arcadia Cedar.jpg
Many-hands cedar, Arcadia Cedar.jpg
The Arcadia Cedar, Clatsop State Forest.jpg
4. Cove Beach

This small beach lies between Arch Cape and Cape Falcon, and there are a couple of points of access for the public. The beach is backed by a high bar of lava cobbles which clink and clank when the high tides reach them: thus, it is also known as “Magic Rocks Beach.” The stretch of sand at low tide is entirely covered by high tides. Gull Rock is close to the shore, while Pyramid Rock juts up farther offshore. At either end of the beach are lava headlands, but the community of Cove sits on a soft former ocean floor and a few houses have already slid down the slope. Near the south end of the beach, the magic rocks dam a driftwood-filled lagoon.
Way to the beach, Cove Beach.jpg
The magic rocks, Cove Beach.jpg
Pyramid Rock, Cove Beach.jpg

5. Cedar Wetlands Preserve (Rockaway Beach)

A short trail leads into this preserve to another massive and ancient cedar: this one could be as old as 800 years! A deck has been built around the base to prevent compaction of the soil. Winter storms have destroyed the rough trail system around the swamp, so you can no longer do a loop, but there are many damp and dim corners to explore in this primeval remnant.
Base of the Rockaway Cedar, Cedar Wetlands Preserve.jpg
Big cedar, Cedar Wetlands Preserve.jpg
The bog, Cedar Wetlands Preserve.jpg
6. Barview Jetty

I stopped in at Barview to do a short stroll below the north jetty, which runs from Garibaldi to the mouth of the bay. All of the land now encompassed by Barview Jetty County Park is new since 1914, when the jetty was constructed. The sand deposited here would have found a home farther south, on the Bayocean Spit, and the lack of it resulted in erosion of the spit and eventual destruction of the “resort” community of Bayocean. There are still some of the old railroad trestle pilings on the jetty, dating to its original construction. The Army Corps of Engineers did a major revamp of the jetty in 2010 using stimulus funds, but both the north and south jetties of Tillamook are in need of further repair. The lookout tower is there for a reason: the Tillamook Bar is one of the most dangerous on the entire west coast and has taken more than 200 lives.
Looking back to the bay, Barview Jetty.jpg
Lookout tower, Barview Jetty.jpg
Rainbow, Barview Jetty.jpg
7. Kilchis Point Preserve

This project of the Tillamook County Pioneer Museum in Bay City is almost complete but has been open to the public. Paved and gravel trails lead through a spruce wetland to mudflats on Tillamook Bay – in all a little over two miles. There are brochures at the trailhead and, being part of the museum, the trails present numerous interpretive signs about the natural, Native American, and settler history of the area.
Mural, Kilchis Point Reserve.jpg
Boardwalk, Kilchis Point Reserve.jpg
Doty Creek mouth, Kilchis Point Reserve.jpg
8. Tillamook Bay Wetlands

Five rivers flow into Tillamook Bay. From north to south, they are the Miami, Kilchis, Wilson, Trask, and Tillamook. The last three come together at this estuarine wetland. Like most of the estuary area on Tillamook Bay, this tongue of land was drained and diked to provide rich pasture for dairy cattle. These 377 acres were purchased under a NOAA grant and, though still diked and tide gated, they are reverting to estuarine habitat. I scared up a few deer, and there seemed to be a red-tailed hawk perched every few hundred yards. This is a four-mile flat hike around the dikes and gravel road tracks.
Wilson River, Tillamook Bay Wetlands.jpg
Old equipment, Tillamook Bay Wetlands.jpg
Spruce swamp, Tillamook Bay Wetlands.jpg

miah66

Re: Oregon's north coast: some mini-hikes

Post by miah66 » December 31st, 2014, 10:43 am

Really cool wanderings! You did all that in one day? I don't know why, but I rarely visit the coast. The mass clearcuts visible on the drive out through the Coast Range kind of ruin my day. :( I would love to see some of those huge trees though. Thanks for posting about these places!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 31st, 2014, 2:07 pm

:D Very nice! Awesome TR and photos! Thanks for some really nice hiking ideas. When I was at Cannon Beach a couple of weeks ago, it was too stormy (winds blowing to 85 mph and tidal surges of 25 feet), I couldn't do a lot of hiking. Got a lot of storm coverage though. But I'm returning for another vacation over there at the end of January and will definitely check out the places you described.

romann

Post by romann » December 31st, 2014, 11:04 pm

Thanks for posting these trips! Very nice pictures.

I go to the coast so rarely I almost forgot what's to see there (lets see - no trips in 2014, 2 in 2013, one in 2012 :shock: ). It's now time to change this.

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 1st, 2015, 8:19 am

Is this ^^^^ the first post of 2015? :?: :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 1st, 2015, 10:36 am

miah66 wrote:You did all that in one day?
No: two trips; I think on three separate days - we were doing other things besides. You could do all these in one day: it's only about 14 miles total!

Your best option for a decent length hike in this particular area is the one I skipped this time: Oswald West State Park. You could hike from Arch Cape Creek to Cape Falcon to Short Sand Beach to the Devil's Cauldron to the top of Neahkahnie Mountain all on foot trails! All of this is in the Field Guide (broken up into separate hikes).

There are other areas on the north/north central coast with good trail systems: Fort Stevens + Fort-to-Sea Trail near Astoria; the trails in the Three Capes Scenic Area, with Cape Lookout as the centerpiece; Mt. Hebo; and Cascade Head.

romann

Post by romann » January 3rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

miah66 wrote:Is this ^^^^ the first post of 2015? :?: :lol:
Could be.
Edit: nope, more likely it was the last of 2014 - the clock on this site is a bit off ;)

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » January 4th, 2015, 11:14 am

Thanks for posting this. It's great to know about them when one just has a couple hours while along the north coast. Mrs. Woodpecker and I have been going to Cove Beach the last few years around our anniversary time whenever we go the coast. It's a special beach that is never crowded. I didn't know that some homes have been sliding into the ocean but I'm not surprised due to how perched some of them are on the headland. Happy anniversary!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 4th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Glad you found the cedar, bc! It seems like we had similar trips, hitting the decoy tree first only to plunge back into the woods to find the real thing :)

Also, thanks for the heads upon the Ecola Forest Preserve, we'll have to check that out soon.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » January 6th, 2015, 10:04 am

Last edited by mandrake on June 23rd, 2015, 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.