Coldwater Peak from JRO (11/8/2014)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjuliana

Coldwater Peak from JRO (11/8/2014)

Post by mjuliana » November 9th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Hiking in shorts and short-sleeves on November 8th? Check! Blue skies and views of Rainier, Hood, St Helens, Adams, Goat Rocks, the Olympics, Saddle Mountain, Coldwater Peak, Mt Margaret? Check! Stuffing yourself to the gills afterwards on Mexican food? Check! On November 8th? You've got to be kidding me. Just a great day to be outside. :D :D

I waffled between this hike and Norway Pass TH -> Mt Margaret and opted for the shorter drive. We'll check of Mt Margaret and Whittier Ridge next year. Joining in on the fun yesterday was my son Ben and our friends Russ and Nate.

Coldwater Peak - our destination for the day...

Looking down Toutle River Valley...

The bench in the middle is the junction of the Boundary Trail with the Harry's Ridge Trail.

I've seen numerous photos of St Helens Lake on the forum but this little jewel nestled in amongst these peaks is awe-inspiring

That's Rainier poking her head over the top of the ridge. I really like the lenticular cloud that was to the east of the summit.

Coldwater Peak...looks so close.

St Helens Lake with Mt Adams in the distance

Getting closer...

Floating Logs in St Helens Lake. I'm tempted to make this into a jigsaw puzzle :D

Mt Rainier and the offset lenticular clouds with fall colors in the foreground

And looking the other way towards Mt Adams...

My son Ben (sitting) and his buddy Nate

St Helens from the summit of Coldwater Peak

Nate with Adams in the background. He and his Dad plan to summit it next year.

Ben enjoying the views...

Mt Adams...be honest, do you like the B&W here?

Looking into the crater of Mt St Helens

Another shot of St Helens Lake & Spirit Lake. Mt Adams make yet another appearance

The cloud formation over Mt Adams was getting pretty cool

Mt Adams through the arch.

Last view of Mt Adams and Spirit Lake

On last glimpse of Coldwater Peak kissed by the setting sun

12.8 miles, 3800' EG and mountain view overload.
http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=3744&w=645&h=440

These and many more photos can be seen at: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/F ... water-Peak
Last edited by mjuliana on November 10th, 2014, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,
Mike J

Crusak

Re: Coldwater Peak from JRO

Post by Crusak » November 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Nice choice for a balmy, clear fall day. Yesterday was a fantastic day for hiking! Great pics. The visibility was great.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 9th, 2014, 8:07 pm

As a radio nerd, I'm curious about what gadgets and research or communications gear is up on that peak. And so I get to add another hike to the ever longer list! :D
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Peder

Post by Peder » November 9th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Shorts and T-shirts on the 8th of November is kind of unusual! I am glad you had a good time!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 10th, 2014, 8:28 am

I never, ever get tired of seeing reports from that hike! It's a jewel. We were about seven miles away, to your south, and were similarly fascinated with the clouds! Both those lenticulars, and the white-puffies that danced in from the coast floating over MSH and then shuffled on towards Adams...
    Looking towards the Backcountry from the Toutle River Canyon.

Those awesome "white-puffies" - do they have a name?
Totally agree - it was a great day on the mountain!!!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » November 10th, 2014, 10:21 am

Karl - Where is the "like" button that I hate?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » November 10th, 2014, 10:55 am

Crusak wrote:Nice choice for a balmy, clear fall day. Yesterday was a fantastic day for hiking! Great pics. The visibility was great.
:D I think a hike just about anywhere on Saturday would have been good. What a day!
Lumpy wrote:As a radio nerd, I'm curious about what gadgets and research or communications gear is up on that peak. And so I get to add another hike to the ever longer list! :D
I know what you mean about your list getting longer...and...longer. Happens every time I check in on this forum :D I, too, am curious about the history of all of the gear up there.
Peder wrote:Shorts and T-shirts on the 8th of November is kind of unusual! I am glad you had a good time!
If I can't be skiing at this time of the year, I'll take hiking in shorts as a perfectly acceptable alternative.
kepPNW wrote:I never, ever get tired of seeing reports from that hike! It's a jewel. We were about seven miles away, to your south, and were similarly fascinated with the clouds! Both those lenticulars, and the white-puffies that danced in from the coast floating over MSH and then shuffled on towards Adams...
    Looking towards the Backcountry from the Toutle River Canyon.

Those awesome "white-puffies" - do they have a name?
Totally agree - it was a great day on the mountain!!!
Those puffies kind of snuck up on us when were were up top. Did you catch the sunset colors? What a show! My one regret was coming back around Devil's elbow before sunset. Wish I would have stayed out there to get some shots of the color in the clouds over Adams.
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 10th, 2014, 11:05 am

Peder wrote:Karl - Where is the "like" button that I hate?
I know. :)
mjuliana wrote:Those puffies kind of snuck up on us when were were up top. Did you catch the sunset colors? What a show! My one regret was coming back around Devil's elbow before sunset. Wish I would have stayed out there to get some shots of the color in the clouds over Adams.
No, not in all their glory, I'm sure. We were in the woods at the time, but the alpenglow on MSH's summit was pretty prime. I've come around Devil's Elbow a number of times right around sunset - it's a prime place to be right about then! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 10th, 2014, 12:08 pm

mjuliana wrote: Mt Adams...be honest, do you like the B&W here?
That scene was MADE for B & W. Awesome photo.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » November 11th, 2014, 9:52 am

miah66 wrote:
mjuliana wrote: Mt Adams...be honest, do you like the B&W here?
That scene was MADE for B & W. Awesome photo.
Thanks! :D
Thanks,
Mike J