Olallie Area: Gibson and Breitenbush Lakes; Olallie Butte

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
tracker

Re: Olallie Area: Gibson and Breitenbush Lakes; Olallie Butt

Post by tracker » May 20th, 2015, 11:59 am

I came across your blog while looking for info on the McQuinn strip. I was a FS employee in 1968 looking for this line in order to carry out a forestry project. I was 22 years old. I found survey monuments of this original survey, thought by many to be nonexistent, due to a felonious action (false accusation) by said surveyor. I shared this information with the Colton, Oregon BSA troop 274 of which I was an assistant scout master. This resulted in a four year search that coincided with the culmination of an almost 100 year dispute between the Warm Springs Indians and the U.S. Government. The recovery of this "lost" line was instrumental in officially reestablishing it after the Congressional act of 1972 in returning this land to the rightful ownership of the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Indians. Also, I knew "Rondy" Harold Ronthaler . We worked on the same District and later he went to the Supervisors office. While there, he would enlist my services to locate section corners needed to carry out forest activities. Yes, I can personally attest to Rondy love of the trails and the Forest. Good memories! Thanks for the reminder! tracker.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2015, 7:45 am

Thanks for posting this back story, tracker. So you are the original instigator of the McQuinn "revision"!

tracker

Post by tracker » January 4th, 2016, 7:41 pm

bobcat wrote:Thanks for posting this back story, tracker. So you are the original instigator of the McQuinn "revision"!
Sorry about this late post. I was looking once again to see if I could locate anything with regard to the effort put forth by the Colton troop 274 in locating the long abandoned McQuinn line and saw that you had posted a comment regarding my blog. So, even though you are getting this months later, I thought I should extend the courtesy by responding. Yes, I am the one, as a FS employee who had connections with said boy scouts made the connection that culminated in the return of the McQuinn strip to the tribes. I am currently writing a white paper (with photos) sharing this little known historical event with the public. I will present it to the tribes at one of their events. Thank you for your interest.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 5th, 2016, 6:38 am

tracker,

I think many people on this site, especially those who love the Olallie area, would be interested in reading your account of the McQuinn restoration. If you remember and if you don't mind sharing, post a link in this thread - it would be a wonderful primary source!

John

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » January 9th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Very interested in learning more!
Kelly

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 11th, 2016, 10:23 am

This is the most informative link I know of:

http://www.warmsprings.com/Warmsprings/ ... spute.html

It may not meet tracker's requirements for greater detail, but it may be interesting for many PH.org members.