Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

Re: Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes

Post by mjirving » July 3rd, 2015, 11:18 am

I did it yesterday...here's a little video I put together on how I crossed it. (from my perspective anyway). I'm just getting ready to post this separately too.

As I mentioned in the video, it's probably better to cross up stream higher than we did, particularly with heavy packs, but at least you can get a better feel for the environment.

Mike

https://vimeo.com/132558083
Last edited by mjirving on July 3rd, 2015, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 12:42 pm

I pulled these signs down from the Cloud Cap TH on Wednesday:

The official USFS notice had also been pulled down from the second sign post and replaced with the paper plates, which is just plain reckless - after all, it's a safety warning and no hiker should presume to determine whether other hikers see that information. While I understand the frustration people have had with the long-delayed restoration of the Timberline Trail at the Eliot crossing (wrote about it at length in a recent post on my blog, the good news is that the USFS has a plan to construct a new route over the next year or two. Stay tuned for opportunities to help out on the project in 2016 -- TKO will be a leading partner with the USFS.

Until then, I would caution less rugged/experienced hikers [read: most all of us] about making the crossing. It's potentially quite dangerous, especially if you're in a group, as the main hazard is rolling debris coming down the slope. I certainly would not do it, myself. Crossing the glacier is even more dangerous, especially for those who don't realize they're on a glacier (which extends all the way to where you see the Eliot Branch emerging). Finally, please do not post paper plates on the TH signs announcing that the trail is open, as you'll be encouraging folks who are not prepared to handle something like this.

Tom

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 3rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

I saw another one, but I don't remember where...perhaps on the other side. I was slightly confused by it and didn't think much about it and continued on...you make good points.

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2015, 12:51 pm

yeah, I agree it shouldn't really be recommended

but if you're intent on doing it, read what others have done

no one has died crossing Eliot. two have died recently crossing Sandy, but probably 10 or 100 times as many people have crossed on the Sandy so that's a bit misleading

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2015, 1:54 pm

Thanks, Mike & Jerry -- that's exactly the fine line that I think we're trying to maintain here until the new crossing is completed: proceed at your own risk, and eyes wide open! :shock:

Tom :)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 3rd, 2015, 1:57 pm

WIDE open...we had one rock that broke free about the size of a big toaster where I yelled ROCK...ROCK...ROCK!!! Fortunately it was no big deal, but when it broke free it certainly got my attention!

inteilla

Post by inteilla » July 3rd, 2015, 2:18 pm

mjirving wrote:...a little instructional video ... https://vimeo.com/132558083
Thanks for the video! Very useful for me, trying to figure out if this is something I would like to do or not :)
Looks pretty rough but still doable. For now I am more worried about bears and lack of fresh water than Eliot.

As a rock climber I am seriously thinking about bringing my climbing helmet for the crossing though.
Splintercat wrote:I pulled these signs down ...
Regarding the paper plate signs... ridiculus and very dangerous! Makes it look like it's a picnic, a walk in the park. Good you removed them.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 3rd, 2015, 2:40 pm

Bears and fresh water? You can put those worries away. In the almost 2,000 miles I've hiked, I've never even seen a bear. If I did, I'd count myself lucky and it'd run the other way as soon as it saw me. No Grizzlies in these parts. The Timberline Trail has more water sources than pretty much anywhere I've ever hiked. You could probably almost get away with not carrying any and just drinking at each source.

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » July 3rd, 2015, 4:55 pm

This update was fortuitous as another PH, her son, and I are meeting up next week and are hitting this together as there is usually safety in numbers :) Not feeling quite so anxious about this now.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 3rd, 2015, 5:06 pm

mjirving wrote:I did it yesterday...here's a little instructional video I put together on how to cross it (from my perspective anyway). I'm just getting ready to post this separately too.

https://vimeo.com/132558083
The video is helpful for showing what the ropes are like, but I wouldn't call it an "instructional video" because I heartily disagree with your choice of crossing point! For most people, the creek is uncrossable that far down, plus you had to scramble up some steep loose stuff on the far bank to get up to the plateau that leads to the west rope. It's much safer to go a couple hundred yards upstream before crossing.