Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: Mt. Hood: Eliot crossing, 2014 update (glacier AND ropes

Post by Chip Down » October 5th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Almost feel bad making another post and bumping a 5-pager, but hey, current info and more feedback is good, right?

Crossed today for the first time in ages...can't even remember how long it's been, years certainly. Was very concerned about it, and expected quite an ordeal.

As mentioned by others, the east side rope is puzzling. Just a route marker, I guess.

At the creek, in the early AM, I just hopped right across. It hasn't been cold lately, but even so, the creek is low these days. I wondered if it would be higher in the afternoon, but nope.

On the west side, I went straight up towards the rope. Felt totally comfortable with it. No shame in that short trip upstream though, if it feels better for you.

The east ascent was pretty easy, and I didn't use the rope. I think descending could be slightly tricky without it. Not insanely dangerous, but I bet most people use it coming down. Might as well. Imagine how silly you'd feel falling because you didn't think you needed it. I will say though, I wonder how secure it is. Didn't exactly look bombproof.

Overall: I found it easy enough that I could possibly do it safely by moonlight with a headlamp, especially if it's been cold enough to minimize melt, but not enough to ice up the rocks. I don't mean on my first trip, I mean if I'd done it enough times that it felt natural.

Time budget: I'd say you should allow 20 to 50 minutes from crest to crest, depending on fitness, experience, water level, and your general aggressiveness.

As for higher crossings, they all look pretty sketchy to me! :shock:
That's not an easy glacier crossing (looks much much much more difficult than Coe).
For most users, there's no need for it anyway, unless they just want to pack in a lot of higher-elevation exploration on both sides into one trip.

Off-topic remark: I don't think I've ever encountered a stream crossing on any mountain that turned me back. One more reason I love fall hiking :D