Twin Lakes - Elkhorn Crest - GOATS!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nautachris

Twin Lakes - Elkhorn Crest - GOATS!

Post by nautachris » September 5th, 2014, 7:34 am

Last weekend we decided to escape Bend (sounds like a non sequitur) for Labor Day, and explore parts of the state that are a bit too far a day trip. We found a house to rent in John Day on VRBO and planned to spend one day in the Elkhorn Mountains and the next day in the Strawberry Mountains. Our initial goal was Baker City, but we couldn't find anywhere to stay with our dog given such short notice. The John Day Valley is a surprisingly (for me at least!) deep and beautiful valley ranging from 2,500-4,000 ft. (increasing west to east) surrounded by mountains anywhere from 5,000-9,000 ft. John Day itself is around 3 hours east of Bend, and the fastest route is an awesomely scenic portion of US 26 east of Prineville. We had dinner on Saturday night at 1188 Brewing on the main downtown strip of John Day (great beer, decent but not memorable food).

After cooking my girlfriend breakfast (it always helps to kiss a bit of @ss now and then, right? :) ), we left John Day around 10:30 and headed further east on US 26. Just east of Prairie City (another cute down at the base of the Strawberrys), the road suddenly ascends north out of the John Day Valley ascending to Dixie Summit around 5,100 ft. The terrain changes drastically, exchanging the grassy yellow valley for a cool rolling plateau of pines. The scenery isn't dramatic like it is around here, but for lack of a better term I found it to be extremely "pleasant" (OK, that description sucks but I found myself repeating the same word over and over while driving through it, so I apologize). After turning north on OR 7 toward Baker City and crossing Tipton Mtn., the Elkhorns suddenly emerged from the departing low clouds. Rising over 5,000 ft. from the valley around Sumpter, they were a beautiful site, and looked more typical "Rocky Mountains" than the Cascades (which of course makes perfect sense). Anyway, our goal was the Twin Lakes Trailhead (5,400 ft), about 6 miles north of OR 7 up a moderately crappy Deer Creek Rd in Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, Baker County. The first 3 miles are fine, then it narrows suddenly and can get pretty steep and rudded, but the CRVs 4WD only kicked on once. The 6 miles takes a good 25-30 minutes, but the rewards are worth it.

OK, I've been worthlessly blabbering for awhile, so let's get to the good part. The Twin Lakes Trail ascends steeply (2500 ft. in 3 miles) from the end of the road, at first traversing east around a ridge, crossing a stream, then going pretty much straight up. 2 steep (and occasionally miserable) miles into it you reach beautiful meadows that you stay in until you reach lower Twin Lake. After passing lower Twin Lake, the trail switchbacks directly up the side of the valley (though not steeply) until reaching the Elkhorn Crest Trail. From there, we walked 1.5 miles north to the base of Rock Creek Butte. I was going to climb it, but my dumb (yet adorable) dog started to munch on goat poo, so I figured we should start the trek back to the car. Overall, the GPS said it was 11.8 miles, with a nice 3,100 vertical climb. AND THERE WERE LOTS O GOATS IF YOU'RE INTO THAT SORT OF THING!!

the first 1.75 miles are viewless and rather steep, this is the first hint of the grandeur to come after breaking out of the dense forest

meadows!

west side of the valley

looking south back toward the trailhead...what is that group of higher mountains in the distance? At first I thought it was the Strawberrys, but we're looking due south, not southwest

the mountains here reminded me of the Wasatch Front in Utah

lower Twin Lake (7,700 ft)...if it wasn't 55 degrees, I'd go swimming

Upper Twin Lake is just above that little meadow in the left center of this shot

and then, the goat party wandered in. Taz the dog was like "i'll show these big white puffy dogs with horns who's the boss!"

anyone remember the goat skit from the Adam Sandler album from 1994? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IhNuUjK6CI (some may find it offensive, but I think it's relatively harmless - memories of 8th grade!)

and more goats...

ascending up toward the Elkhorn Crest Trail, we can see lower Twin Lake from a bit of altitude

this pic could have been great...but aimed a bit too low

this valley really drops off in a hurry

there's upper Twin Lake

Rock Creek Butte (9,100 something) is the highest point in the Elkhorns

another member of the goat gang is blocking our progress at the intersection with the Elkhorn Crest Trail...I didn't care, but our dog has a tendency to not notice cliffs whilst chasing other dogs (he thinks everything is the world is either a dog or something that should feed him sausage)

looking east down the Pine Creek drainage to the Powder River Valley and Baker City

lower Twin Lake it its entirety

Taz

pretty cool trail construction

me and the pups

looking east from the saddle directly south of Rock Creek Butte

they're leaving me!

finally, both Upper and Lower Twin Lakes together

self to the ie

Dana loves Taz as well

Taz please don't jump, your life is actually pretty damn good!

as the afternoon wore on, the goat party moved to the shady slopes west of Lower Twin Lake

changing light

And that does it - the Elkhorns were freakin' beautiful. I'd love to go back again! This is more of a typical Rocky Mountain landscape than I'm used to in Central Oregon, but it was a lovely change of pace!

Thanks,

Chris
Bend, OR

retired jerry

Re: Twin Lakes - Elkhorn Crest - GOATS!

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2014, 8:31 am

I've got to do that some day

Nice report

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 5th, 2014, 9:15 am

Twin Lakes in the Elkhorns are the one place in Oregon where you are nearly 100% guaranteed to see a mountain goat just by showing up. It is pretty darned exciting, too.

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » September 5th, 2014, 9:57 am

Elkhorn MTs known for great powder snow..... hire snow kat for remote down hill runs

HikesEasternOr

Post by HikesEasternOr » July 25th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Enjoyed viewing your pictures~
On picture 5 from the top, you asked the question;
...what is that group of higher mountains in the distance?
I believe they are the "Steens Mountains", I wondered the
same thing a few years back~

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 25th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Your first pic shocked me. I've seen lots of goats, but never that low.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » July 25th, 2016, 6:27 pm

Great pics of the lakes. The first one was the best. Amazing color and clarity.

That's a pretty steep first three miles.