Eastern Gorge wildflower report, 4/18/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Eastern Gorge wildflower report, 4/18/14

Post by adamschneider » April 18th, 2014, 10:48 pm

I stopped by three places today: Catherine Creek, Dalles Mountain Ranch, and Tom McCall Preserve. Here's what I found...

Catherine Creek: Only did the west half of the paved trail below the road. The camas (blue) is at its peak right now, as is the death-camas (white/yellow) and the rosy plectritis (pink). Shooting stars are mostly done. Some sand clover. No bitterroot flowers yet.
Catherine Creek camas.jpg
Dalles Mountain Ranch: I just drove along the main dirt road; I didn't do the hike to the crest of the Columbia Hills. Right along Dalles Mountain Road, the balsamroot is about as good as it's going to get. The lupine are pretty good too, but probably not quite at peak. Didn't see a single paintbrush. (And the grass is still short, so I was disappointed that I didn't get to see the wind making hypnotic wavy patterns in the sea of green just above the road.) I'm guessing that the flowers higher up along the Stacker Butte trail/road still have a few weeks to go before they're at peak.
Dalles Mountain Road.jpg
Tom McCall Preserve: There are several nice patches of balsamroot out on the plateau, but it could be better. Most of the big lupines are still only budding. Lots of popcorn flower, fiddleneck, and miniature lupine. A few larkspur, but no paintbrush. Give it a week or two or three.
Rowena Plateau.jpg

woodswalker

Re: Eastern Gorge wildflower report, 4/18/14

Post by woodswalker » April 19th, 2014, 7:31 am

Thanks for the update. I like to know for myself of course, but I have plant geek friends who moved here late last spring and are excited to see the progression.
Woodswalker

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » April 19th, 2014, 9:51 am

Here's hoping for more wildflower reports - among the useful out there!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 20th, 2014, 8:13 pm

We were at Mosier Plateau today and it was an outstanding flower display. At least 25 different varieties. It was a very nice little hike, and lots of balsamroot on the upper hillsides.
Attachments
1912459_654885997916896_6864565997599645444_o.jpg
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown