Coyote Wall via the Courtney Slope (Burdoin Mountain)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Coyote Wall via the Courtney Slope (Burdoin Mountain)

Post by bobcat » April 3rd, 2014, 4:36 pm

Sean Thomas’s recent report reminded me that I should investigate the goings-on at Coyote Wall since the Field Guide needs some updating in this area. As an aside, I should note that I have been familiar with Coyote Wall since the early 90s, when it was mostly a mountain biking mecca: it was bikers who built the trails down in the canyon, for example. As the years went on, it became a favorite place for me to take people who weren’t really strong hikers but who appreciated the whole ambience of the massive syncline, the oak woodlands, the expansive views, the poison oak and, in season, the wildflowers, ticks and rattlesnakes (Also, I got the only skunk spray of my life in the Labyrinth). For better or worse, other hikers, as well as William L. Sullivan, also “discovered” the area and it became increasingly crowded. Mountain bikers zipped in and out and were given much freedom by private landowners; hikers and their dogs passed through more slowly and sometimes noisily, strayed from the trails and onto private property, often deposited litter and other things (think human waste) and the whole escalation in use and occasional misuse led to the current Forest Service plan to regulate the area.

My plan was to follow the course of what might be a future loop, heading first up the scabland slope of Burdoin Mountain and then down Atwood Road to pick up the Coyote Wall Trail. DISCLAIMER: The path I took on the western half of this loop is NOT recommended: the interface with private property is not always clear and there are no established trails except trails which are now closed. The route I followed in general shows up as dotted lines, i.e. proposed trails, in the B1 and B2 sections of the USFS Recreation Plan.
Trailhead, Coyote Wall.jpg
From the trailhead, I walked Courtney Road up to the fifth switchback. Here a muddy track leads to an expansive view to the river, Eighteenmile Island and the tribal clearcut on the Oregon side. There’s a fence here, so I headed up the slope on a dent in the grass which is a former jeep track. This dent leads up through poison oak and an oak copse to another road bed. Here I turned left and continued up the slope. I could see USFS boundary stakes to my left and right. I passed a vernal pool and an old foundation before reaching a gravel road that turned out to be a private drive. There is USFS land across this road, but also some private homes and no defined track. I did not feel comfortable just heading into the woods here (I was now above the Bretz flood line and into Douglas-firs and ponderosas) to become a possible chew toy for someone’s Rottweiler, so I walked down the private drive to Courtney Road.
Viewpoint road, Courtney Slope.jpg
View to the tribal clearcut, Courtney Slope.jpg
Foundation, Courtney Slope.jpg
I walked up the road again to where it veered left. A few hundred yards later, past a road named Rainbow’s End, I encountered USFS property markers again. I headed back into the woods; this area has been extensively thinned in recent years and I felt safe on the west side of the thinning project markers. I picked up a vague track that led close to the back yard of a house and reached USFS Road 1858-228, really a muddy track. Here also was posted a No Trespassing sign, which I believe itself was trespassing on USFS property. The road split and I went off on Road 230, also labeled, until I reached a huge debris pile. By now I was in a familiar area because down in a depression I saw the east end of the Coyote Meadows bikers trail as it headed west from the junction with the Wizard Trail. I went west on this trail under a Douglas-fir canopy. A couple of mountain bikers came zipping by. As I got close to Courtney Road, a Forest Service sign told me the trail I was on was closed to protect private property. Well, I headed out to Courtney Road anyway. The road is gravel from here up and there is a new fence blocking the original trail access.
FR 1858-228, Upper Courtney Slope.jpg
Tarped brush pile, Upper Courtney Slope.jpg
The upshot is that neither the area shown as B2 nor the northern B1 section has viable trails at this time. Don’t go there (even if you see mountain bikers using it with abandon)! Across from the Meadows Trail access to Courtney Road, ironically, is a sign on a gate posted by the private Kreps Ranch asking bikers and hikers to please close gates behind them. Trails on this private land ARE open to the public, with some periodic closures and restrictions.

So I walked up Courtney Road some more, mostly in forest without views, until I attained a switchback with broad and sweeping vistas west. The Rattlesnake Ridge Trail leads off from this viewpoint on the road, part of the system on private land which includes Kreps Ranch and SDS Timber property. These trails are the Hospital Hill complex, which runs between here and White Salmon. Please note that Kreps and SDS prefer not to have detailed online postings about these trails (although they do post online about restrictions and closures); they don’t want the kind of attention and traffic that Coyote Wall gets.
Trail closed near Courtney Road, Upper Courtney Slope.jpg
Kreps Ranch gate, Courtney Road.jpg
View to Hood River from Courtney Road.jpg
A deer mouse on Courtney decided freezing in a mouse-like way was the most effective deterrent to predation and allowed me within a few inches to take its portrait.
Deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus), Courtney Road.jpg
Then it was on to Atwood Road, which from Courtney runs along the top of Coyote Wall. Much signage has been put up here, mainly to note that Atwood is a county road, but that users need to stay on the track. Soon Atwood ceased to be a road, gradually descended past a couple of big, gnarly Douglas-firs, and at a four-way junction, met up with the Crybaby Trail. I took this narrow bikers trail along the rim of the wall through oak copses and clumps of poison oak and balsamroot. The views were beginning to materialize and there was a brisk breeze from the west. Vultures whooshed up from the canyon to clip the rim and spiral upward. Soon, Crybaby passes the junction with the Wizard Trail and joins with Trail Co1 (See the map) near the lone ponderosa at McMahon Point.
Junction, Courtney Road and Atwood Road.jpg
Sign, Atwood Road.jpg
Muddy bend, Atwood Road.jpg
Looking up the Atwood slope, Crybaby Trail.jpg
Northwestern balsamroot (Balsamorhiza deltoidea), Crybaby Trail.jpg
Stunted oaks, Crybaby Trail.jpg
Signs at Atwood Road-Coyote Wall Trail intersection.jpg
The McMahon ponderosa, Coyote Wall.jpg
I followed Co1 down to Co3 (Little Moab), took that out to Co4, hit the old highway and then the new trailhead. Wildflowers were best in the seeps on Co4 near the highway. Pungent desert-parsley was in full bloom all along the precipice. A meadowlark tinkled its territorial call from the top of a young ponderosa pine. A horned lark didn’t want to fly up into the wind, so it was easy to stalk for a photo. Looking down into the now closed Coyote Canyon area, I could see a few new homes, reason enough, I suppose to shut the public out of trekking across little squares of private land, some of which are now built on.
Looking east, Coyote Wall.jpg
Pungent desert-parsley (Lomatium grayi), Coyote Wall.jpg
Grass widow (Olsynium douglasii), Coyote Wall.jpg
View up the ramparts, Coyote Wall.jpg
View east, Coyote Wall.jpg
Naked broomrape (Orobanche uniflora), Coyote Wall.jpg
Few-flowered blue-eyed Mary (Collinsia sparsiflora), Coyote Wall.jpg
Chickweed monkey flower (Mimulus alsinoides), Coyote Wall.jpg
Upland larkspur (Delphinium nuttallianum), Coyote Wall.jpg
Horned lark (Eremophila alpestris), Coyote Wall.jpg
Note that there are no trail junction signs anywhere. Trail names come from the mountain biking community or sexy Forest Service lingo (Co1, Co2, etc.).

mandrake

Re: Coyote Wall via the Courtney Slope (Burdoin Mountain)

Post by mandrake » April 3rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

Nice Bobcat! Yes, the FS should amend their map to note that the B1-B2 trail is a PROPOSED trail. We tried hiking it thinking it was a possible new loop route, and ended out bushwhacking about in what felt like someone's backyard. Pretty sure we were on public land, but very disconcerting. Given the monstrous amount of poison oak too, I completely agree: not recommended at present. Even walking up Courtney Rd would be a better option.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 4th, 2014, 6:45 am

Thanks for this TR and your initiative in checking out this area of Coyote Wall / Catherine Ck. I've always been a bit concerned about wandering around there due to the poorly marked private property / USFS boundaries and the uncertainty as to whether a private property owner is OK or not with you walking the road / trail across their land. It does look like the path from the rim over to Atwood Road is getting better signage? You wouldn't have a map of your track you could share?

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » April 5th, 2014, 9:48 am

Thanks, Bobcat for more reconnaissance in this wonderful, confusing area. Did you notice if Atwood Rd beyond where you left it for Crybaby (Co1) was posted private or no trespassing? The surrounding land is private, but it's still not clear to me whether Atwood from that point eastward to where it enters NFS property is a public road or not. The NFS recreation plan map implies that it is, but Kickitat County GIS suggests othewise.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 5th, 2014, 9:57 am

@VanMarmot: I don't use a GPS, but I think I can give you detailed directions:

Hiking up the wall on Co1, pass the McMahon ponderosa. Two rattlesnakes, a nest of deer ticks, and five clumps of poison oak later, come to a fork in the trail. Left is Crybaby, which heads along/below the rim, junctions with the Wizard Trail, and continues to join Atwood Road. Right, Co1 continues into the woods, passes the signage in my 17th photo, and joins Atwood Road. I backtracked to get there, because I had come along Crybaby, but it's not far.

I should have gone down the Wizard Trail to see how far you can go before getting to a Trail Closed sign.The bikers' teeter-totter and jumps might still be accessible.
Bikers' bridge, Wizard Trail, Coyote Canyon.jpg
Teeter-totter, Wizard Trail.jpg
The Trail Closed sign in my 7th photo is on Forest Service land, but I don't think they want people entering from Courtney and going the back way into the Canyon.

@chiefWright: The signs at the Atwood/Courtney junction just tell you to "stay on the trail." Atwood is a county road all the way to Catherine Creek. However, I did not go east on Atwood beyond the Co1 junction. There was no signage there to tell you not to and it looks well-used.

It's clear where private dwellings abut public lands in some places that private owners have a somewhat liberal view of where their rights lie. Some people have actually posted No Trespassing signs on public land, maybe to prevent people from getting closer to their property. For years, it was rather quiet around there, but the last couple of decades have seen an exponential rise in public use. The USFS has many more boundary markers than it used to have and it's all been recently resurveyed, but I can see that things still need to be settled in the Burdoin area and also probably along the Coyote section of Atwood Road.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » April 5th, 2014, 12:01 pm

bobcat wrote: @chiefWright: The signs at the Atwood/Courtney junction just tell you to "stay on the trail." Atwood is a county road all the way to Catherine Creek.
Bobcat- I'm not sure if Klickitat County agrees. Their GIS map shows Atwood as a public road to where it joins Cook Road. Then it shows "B&B road" as a private road heading SE to the Burns farm. The GIS shows no extension of Atwood east of Cook. But what the GIS map calls B&B road is called Atwood on topo maps, and continues east to Catherine Creek.

I know this isn't the track you took, but kepPNW hiked Atwood East-to-West last year. He didn't find anything posted until he got to the Cook/Atwood junction where there was a "private road" sign-- in his rear-view mirror! I tried contacting both Klickitat and NFS last year to find out if Atwood REALLY is public from Cook Rd to Catherine NFS land, but haven't got a clear answer from either.

Maybe Klickitat GIS isn't correct (it has an accuracy disclamer, after all), and it is public, and even better, in the resurvey they've re-signed this intersection. As you say, there are many things that need to be settled in this area.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 6th, 2014, 8:23 am

@chiefWright: My response would be: I think we're both correct. Here's a posting of a letter from Stan Hinatsu, CRGNSA Rec. supervisor: http://hrats.org/2012/04/20/official-pr ... l-trail-5/.

Here's the original document: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/ab ... 032326.pdf

Quote from p.4: "Atwood and Major Creek Roads (Klickitat County) remains [sic] open to all user groups."

Interpretation: Atwood Road, in its entirety, will become a legitimate trail. What is probable is that local landowners have posted signs to discourage public entry. Possibly they have maintained a section of the road and therefore claim some "right" over it as a private driveway. There were the same issues in the early days of the Klickitat Rail Trail in Swale Canyon when, after the railroad was decommissioned, locals strung fences across the canyon and put up signs.

So, for now, I would not go there until the signs come down. No point in exacerbating a rather tender situation.

drm

Post by drm » April 6th, 2014, 9:33 am

It would not be the first time that private land owners have claimed ownership or priority use on public land adjacent to their property.

Early on when I was exploring these areas after I moved here, I also ran into this experience of walking up a road, seeing the back of a sign, and after passing it turning around and seeing it say no trespassing on land I had just exited.

Overall my experience on going higher on on this stretch of land from Burdoin Mtn through to Catherine Creek is that you get into these mixed public/private lands, you lose your views, and so on. So I basically stopped going there long ago.