Lewis River Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Lewis River Trail

Post by drm » November 23rd, 2013, 4:56 pm

Wanted to do something a little remote today, so I made a late-season visit to the Lewis River. Hiked up a couple of hours from the western trailhead - saw a black cub bear run across the trail not 20 yards in front of me. Didn't see momma. Yelled to her that she was no ordinary bear, smarter than your average bear (flattery can't hurt, right?).

The old Bolt Camp shelter was rebuilt this year:

Ice on the trail was not slippery, more like crunchy frozen forest duff. Mushrooms were frozen hard and clicked when tapped with the trekking pole.

Water

Re: Lewis River Trail

Post by Water » November 23rd, 2013, 9:20 pm

!!!!!! :D :D :D

I know the second to last picture. Maybe you sat down near there? Bucket and I spent 3 nights total at that camp spot this summer. A real gem to me. Two nights over 4th of July and one on another weekend. Swam and fished in the stretch of water about an 1/4-1/8th of a mile in either direction, a sublime spot. Only saw a few bikers pass through some didn't even see us.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » November 24th, 2013, 8:40 am

I've camped at that spot at least once before as well. Water - I think you were the one who first posted on this trail that got me there. I'd seen it on the map and wondered if it was a good low-altitude shoulder-season trail. The picture of the river and my break are from the same area.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 24th, 2013, 8:50 am

Thanks, Dean - great choice!
The old Bolt Camp shelter was rebuilt this year
Cool! I sure wish the MHNF staff were as enlightened - the Sandy Guard Station and Elk Meadows shelter are badly in need of that kind of TLC.

Love the frosty fern shot!

Tom :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Wow, great to hear about the restoration of the old shelter. Its such a great forest setting on that stretch.

drm

Post by drm » November 25th, 2013, 8:30 am

I only ran into one couple on the hike and we talked about the shelter. He was taking somebody to see it and knew the folks who had rebuilt it. Said that it was a volunteer group and named some of them. So my guess is that the Forest Service role in this was mostly to allow it. Not sure if they provided materials or not.