Cottonwood Canyon 11/1/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Cottonwood Canyon 11/1/2013

Post by retired jerry » November 8th, 2013, 7:44 am

It was raining on the West side so I decided to check out the new Cottonwood Canyon State Park on the John Day River about 30 miles Southeast of The Dalles.

I stayed at the campground one night. It is basically just a large lot with no privacy or shelter:
10resize.jpg
Problem is, no privacy from other sites, and it tends to be windy there so it's nice to have some shelter. They're planting trees and shrubs so maybe in 10 years it'll be better. They're putting a lot of native grass in and getting rid of Sagebrush because once that gets burning, you can't put it out, just have to let it burn.

There is potable water in the day use area. There's a couple picnic shelters that might provide a little shelter when they're finished. No telephone but cell phone may work up above the canyon.

The John Day River is even further East than the Deschutes, so it rains there slightly less.

I asked the camp host if I could backpack. He said something about it not being illegal and park my car in the day use area with a note on it saying when I'll be back. I asked the ranger and he said it was not allowed. I asked if it was okay if I camped on BLM land and he said it was not allowed. Nice guy though. He said probably in the future they'de allow it.

I day hiked the trail on the same side as the campground. 4.3 miles to "the end". Similar to portions of the Deschutes "trail", a reclaimed jeep trail right next to the river:
28resize.jpg
The John Day is quite a bit smaller than the Deschutes. Fishermen on the other side. There's a similar trail there:
26resize.jpg
The trail "ends" after 4.3 miles. Actually, the jeep trail continues for a long ways, but it's overgrown with brush and littered with big boulders. They must have used some mega lawnmower like machine to clear the first 4.3 miles. They plan to continue the trail over time:
42resize.jpg
Right there at "the end", about 4 miles from the trailhead, is a large gravel bar with higher places with sagebrush that offers privacy and shelter from the wind. This would be a pretty nice spot to camp out when it's allowed:
47resize.jpg
No streams or anything. And the John Day River doesn't look so good for drinking - much less flow than the Deschutes and there was some foam in it.

retired jerry

Re: Cottonwood Canyon 11/1/2013

Post by retired jerry » November 8th, 2013, 7:46 am

They're planning on putting in another state park, 9 miles downstream, in Hay Canyon.

That would be a nice, easy river raft run. Easy car shuttle. Maybe you could walk part way down river and camp, then go the rest of the way and get water, then return...

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » November 8th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Atleast three times I've parked a shuttle vehicle at Cottonwood when floating the 70-miles from Clarno. Is it possible to park at the boat ramp and hike from there?
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 8th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Sure, park at boat ramp.

Are you asking about backpacking? I would think so. There are shuttle people parked there overnight, and no one's going to search you out if you're camping several miles from trailhead.

Too bad you can't park in day use area because camp host is watching your vehicle.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 11th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Thanks, Jerry - interesting new hiking opportunity!
No streams or anything. And the John Day River doesn't look so good for drinking...
I'd second that. Beyond the cows found along most of the river, it flows through some heavily irrigated farmland in the John Day Valley, proper, and no doubt has Monsanto products washing into it.

Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 11th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Typical filters or chemicals won't treat agricultural run-off