Scenery at Mt Adams Wilderness: Backpacking to High Camp '13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.

Best hike on Mount Adams?

Adams Glacier Meadows and Iceberg Lake
50%
Crystal Lake
No votes
Foggy Flats
No votes
Bird Creek Meadows
50%
Little Mount Adams
No votes
Devils Gardens
No votes
Horseshoe Meadow-Lookingglass Lake
No votes
Potato Hill
No votes

Total votes: 2

Naturebat

Re: Scenery at Mt Adams Wilderness: Backpacking to High Camp

Post by Naturebat » October 31st, 2013, 4:15 pm

Gray Jay wrote:If you are interested in advocacy for Mount Adams, you should check out Friends of Mount Adams. http://mtadamsfriends.org/

There are reasons for the Mount Adams Wilderness boundaries as they are. The Yakama Nation claimed the east side of Mount Adams to its summit in the Treaty of 1855 but the original treaty map was misplaced for decades. By the time the treaty map was found in 1930, 21,000 acres were part of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The Forest Service built the campgrounds and trails we enjoy in the Bird Creek Meadows area today. After more than 100 years of dispute, President Nixon signed an executive order in 1972 returning the 21,000 acres to the Yakama Nation. In exchange, the Yakamas pledged to continue to manage the area for recreation and to allow access to non-Yakama members. This is unique because the remainder of the Yakama Nation lands are closed to entry by non-Yakamas.

The Washington Trails Association has partnered with the Yakama Nation to provide trail maintenance through an annual "Volunteer Vacation" at the Yakama Nation Mount Adams Recreation Area. Several trails, most notably the Island Springs Trail, have been abandoned by the Yakama Nation because it does not have the resources to maintain them. Hopefully, there will be enough volunteer interest to get the Island Springs Trail re-opened in the future.

The Aiken Lava Bed was purposefully left out of the Mount Adams Wilderness boundary because of its long popularity with snowmobilers. Other areas were left out of the 1984 Washington Wilderness Act because they "had trees," in the words of former Senator Slade Gorton. The conservative members of the Washington Congressional delegation resisted including any lands with commercial timber on them.

The Friends of Mount Adams can fill you in on livestock grazing and snowmobile trespass issues on the mountain.
Yeah, I frequent that website often, as well as the Gifford Pinchot NF website. The areas I was thinking that should be converted to wilderness is actually included in the Roadless Area plan, which, I believe, does not allow logging too. I've also wondered why some areas are restricted to only Yakima members. There is one large lake the size of Takhlakh Lake on the NE side of Adams, apparently named Mt Adams Lake. I am really curious as to what It looks like. I bet it could afford some really nice reflections of the NE side of the mountain as well.
Mt Adams lake 2a.jpg
Mount Adams Lake.jpg

Do you think that if the Yakimas received a large grant of money in order to better maintain and develop the Mt. Adams Recreation Area, including building new trails and developing, perhaps even paving the road to Bird Creek Meadows and Bench Lake, would they do it? In other words, would the Yakimas support the area's future development?
- Previously ElementalFX

jack65

Post by jack65 » February 18th, 2017, 2:11 pm

On the Trout Lake Big Tree in your story, it died in 2016 :(
http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/nov/ ... northwest/
They say it was at least 500 years old, nearly 29 feet around and 162 feet tall.

I camped and hiked around Mt Adams & Takhlakh Lake, WA last August. One of the most beautiful places I've been to and I've camped most of my 65 years almost everywhere in the NW.
Here is the blog/photo story I did on that trip. Lots of great photos:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAda ... khLake.htm
I'm rigorously exercising to do the Divide Camp Trail #12 hike this coming August, so I really enjoyed your story! Due to my age and I had hip replacement three years ago, I probably won't do the full hike, but hope to at least make it up to Divide Camp High Camp Trail 4-way junction. The views were amazing in your story! I really want to shoot the other surrounding mountains, wildflowers and of course birds & wildlife.
I attached three pics... have many more on the website blog story!
Attachments
Aug16moon1-web.jpg
Beautiful Sunset/Moonrise at Takhlakh Lake!
MtAdamBaldEagle.jpg
The same trail goes around the lake.
SunriseMtAdams5-web.jpg
Sunrise at Takhlakh Lake along one of the many trails there.
Last edited by jack65 on February 18th, 2017, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 18th, 2017, 3:51 pm

blast from the past

now that you remind me, I'll have to re-put that on my list of things to do :)

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » February 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm

jack65 wrote:On the Trout Lake Big Tree in your story, it died in 2016 :(
They say it was at least 500 years old, nearly 29 feet around and 162 feet tall.

I camped and hiked around Mt Adams & Takhlakh Lake, WA last August. One of the most beautiful places I've been to and I've camped most of my 65 years almost everywhere in the NW.
Here is the blog/photo story I did on that trip. Lots of great photos:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAda ... khLake.htm
I'm rigorously exercising to do the Divide Camp Trail #12 hike this coming August, so I really enjoyed your story! Due to my age and I had hip replacement three years ago, I probably won't do the full hike, but hope to at least make it up to Divide Camp High Camp Trail 4-way junction. The views were amazing in your story! I really want to shoot the other surrounding mountains, wildflowers and of course birds & wildlife.
I attached three pics... have many more on the website blog story!

Oh wow, amazing photos! I saw you on facebook, too!

Yeah, sadly, that tree has died. I'm just glad I saw it before it died, though. :(

Man, this trip report is a bit of nostalgia for me. lol. It was my first trip report ever; reading it for a second time, I notice so many errors and noob-ish mistakes! :oops: Haha. :x
Most of my views have changed, too, since then. (So pay no attention to all the text below the trip report. haha.)

Yeah, Takhlakh Lake and the surrounding area has been a favorite place of mine for years. I really need to get back there. I've been spending more time in the Mt. Adams wilderness proper, and less time in the High Lakes area (Takhlakh Lake et. al.). If you go back to camp, I suggest trying out camping at either Olallie Lake or Horseshoe Lake. From Horseshoe Lake, you can hike up to the summit of Green Mountain (It's a hike on my bucket list).

Of course, like I mentioned on facebook, High Camp and/or Killen Creek Meadows makes for a fantastic day hike or overnight backpack trip. :D
- Previously ElementalFX

jack65

Post by jack65 » February 23rd, 2017, 9:07 pm

ElementalFX wrote:
jack65 wrote:On the Trout Lake Big Tree in your story, it died in 2016 :(
Yeah, sadly, that tree has died. I'm just glad I saw it before it died, though. :(
Hard to imagine, alive for over 500 years, now gone in 2016...

jack65

Post by jack65 » February 24th, 2017, 6:57 am

Some great photos taken on this hike... makes me want to do that hike big time. How far up that trail before you see the wildflowers and Mt Rainier / Mt St Helens?

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » February 24th, 2017, 1:57 pm

jack65 wrote:Some great photos taken on this hike... makes me want to do that hike big time. How far up that trail before you see the wildflowers and Mt Rainier / Mt St Helens?
Thanks! :)

You will see Mt Rainier at the junction with the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), and St. Helens somewhere along the PCT.

There are no views of St. Helens or Rainier along the Divide Camp Trail, as far as I remember. The first view of Rainier happens just as you get to the Pacific Crest Trail junction.

Here is an updated GPS Track for High Camp via Divide Camp:
http://gpsfly.org/g/6701

ImageScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 3.47.37 PM
All marked yellow = Mt. Rainier views
All marked purple = Mt. St. Helens views

ImageScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 3.48.22 PM
Same map, but from further away.
That large, round lake you see on the top left corner is Talklakh Lake, surrounded by Olallie Lake, Chain of Lakes, and Council Lake.
At top-center, is another large lake partially off the map. That is Horseshoe Lake. All of these large lakes mentioned above have campgrounds at them.

***If you want to get to the volcano views, Killen Creek Meadows, and High Camp quicker, then the Killen Creek Trail will be much shorter for you. The only downside is that it is very dusty, whereas the Divide Camp Trail is greener and not dusty.
- Previously ElementalFX

jack65

Post by jack65 » February 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm

ElementalFX wrote:
jack65 wrote:Some great photos taken on this hike... makes me want to do that hike big time. How far up that trail before you see the wildflowers and Mt Rainier / Mt St Helens?
Thanks! :)

You will see Mt Rainier at the junction with the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), and St. Helens somewhere along the PCT.

There are no views of St. Helens or Rainier along the Divide Camp Trail, as far as I remember. The first view of Rainier happens just as you get to the Pacific Crest Trail junction.

Here is an updated GPS Track for High Camp via Divide Camp:
http://gpsfly.org/g/6701

ImageScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 3.47.37 PM
All marked yellow = Mt. Rainier views
All marked purple = Mt. St. Helens views

ImageScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 3.48.22 PM
Same map, but from further away.
That large, round lake you see on the top left corner is Talklakh Lake, surrounded by Olallie Lake, Chain of Lakes, and Council Lake.
At top-center, is another large lake partially off the map. That is Horseshoe Lake. All of these large lakes mentioned above have campgrounds at them.

***If you want to get to the volcano views, Killen Creek Meadows, and High Camp quicker, then the Killen Creek Trail will be much shorter for you. The only downside is that it is very dusty, whereas the Divide Camp Trail is greener and not dusty.
Wow! Thanks for all the details, maps etc.
Just how hard/steep and how far is that Divid Camp hike to the Pacific Crest Trail junction especially to the first views of Mt Rainier & Mt St Helens? It looks like over 3 miles? I'm concerned because of my hip replacement I had 3 years ago and needing a knee replacement in the next couple years. I can move at a steady pace with breaks though, plus working out at a gym now (cycling/weight training) to get in better shape.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » February 25th, 2017, 4:48 am

jack65 wrote: Wow! Thanks for all the details, maps etc.
Just how hard/steep and how far is that Divid Camp hike to the Pacific Crest Trail junction especially to the first views of Mt Rainier & Mt St Helens? It looks like over 3 miles? I'm concerned because of my hip replacement I had 3 years ago and needing a knee replacement in the next couple years. I can move at a steady pace with breaks though, plus working out at a gym now (cycling/weight training) to get in better shape.

Yeah, no problem!

The Divide Camp Trail isn't all that steep, more of a prolonged gradual steepness, really. It starts out levelish, but after a while, it starts to feel a bit steeper on you. Same for Killen Creek Trail. Luckily for Mt. Adams, many of its trails ascend the mountain at a more gradual incline than, say, Mt. Hood or Mt. Rainier. (At least in my experience.) My father (in his late 50s, had an semi-permanent injured ankle and wasn't in shape at the time; but he did okay on this hike. Hopefully you'll do just just fine as well! :) And I wish you luck on the training! Mount Adams is an incredibly beautiful place to explore and worth every bit to get there. :)

Divide Camp Trail Specs:
[*]The Divide Camp Trail is 2.8 miles. So it is 2.8 miles to the PCT from the trailhead.
[*]It has an elevation gain of 1,300 feet, (4700' - 6000').
[*]The first good view of Mt. Adams happens at milemarker 2.0. (aka "Divide Camp Meadow"). No views of Rainier or St. Helens at this meadow, however.

If you are concerned about your hip replacement, then perhaps the Divide Camp Trail route might be a little too much. If not for the added distance along the PCT, but for the crossing of Adams Creek which can be rather challenging. There is no official bridge, but trail crews lay down sticks to cross. The added distance from the Divide Camp-PCT junction to Killen Creek Meadows might make it a bit too far. It might become an extremely long day hike.

Killen Creek Trail approach:
So in that case, I would highly recommend taking the Killen Creek Trail up to the PCT, then hiking north (turn left) on the PCT to Killen Creek Meadows. The Killen Creek Trail won't disappoint. It is absolutely covered in wildflowers (in season, apprx. late July-Aug.) and will be much more rewarding in views of both Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. Since the Killen Creek-PCT junction is just so close to Killen Cr. Meadows, it would be a much more reasonable and less difficult day hike. The dust can be an issue, but the meadows, wildflowers, and views more than make up for it. :)

Here's a better image that shows the Killen Creek standard approach:
Killen Creek Meadows Hike
Killen Creek Trail in purple.
PCT in orange.
Unofficial Killen Cr. Meadow use paths in yellow.

Here's a close up of the wildflower/meadows area along the PCT and Killen Creek. I marked off where the meadows start. From that point on, it is meadow after meadow. And the views of Mt. Rainier are too numerous to count. :)

Close up for Killen Creek Meadows

Killen Creek Approach for Killen Meadows:
[*]It is 2.9 miles along the Killen Creek Trail to the PCT junction.
[*]And 0.9 miles along the PCT to Killen Creek Meadows.
[*]Makes for a much shorter day hike, in total.

Check out NWHiker's guide for this hike: http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike28.html
(But rather than continuing on to High Camp, take the left turn and head to Killen Cr. Meadows, which is incredibly beautiful).

As for High Camp, the trail up to it (High Camp #10), has gotten worse and worse within the last few years. When I hiked it in 2013, it was decent, but in 2016 it was extremely sketchy and slippery around the talus rocky slope. One kind of has to inch their way down that section. xD

Another good day hike to consider is Council Bluff, if you want amazing views of the big volcanoes. Council Bluff is extremely short, easy, and features an approx. 280° view. You can see Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, the Goat Rocks (an ancient eroded volcano), and several other local landmarks like Takhlakh Lake, Council Lake, Potato Hill, and Green Mountain.
If you are planning on doing more than one day hike here, this might be a great second choice to do after the Mt. Adams hike. It really helps to provide "context" after your hike up to Killen Creek Meadows on Mount Adams. :D

Here is NWHiker's hike guide for Council Bluff: http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike26.html
- Previously ElementalFX

jack65

Post by jack65 » February 25th, 2017, 6:00 am

@ ElementalFX,

That is some fantastic info you posted. Thank you for taking the time to do it.
I'm going to do that Killen Creek one and the Council Bluff Hike.
I'll be camping at Takhlakh Lake for six days, so I'll have the time.
I hope there will still be some blooms in mid August while we're there.
With my endurance & weight training, I'll make it, I've got 5+ months. I'm doing Yoga for balancing too.
Your post(s) has made me extremely motivated.