Scenery at Mt Adams Wilderness: Backpacking to High Camp '13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.

Best hike on Mount Adams?

Adams Glacier Meadows and Iceberg Lake
50%
Crystal Lake
No votes
Foggy Flats
No votes
Bird Creek Meadows
50%
Little Mount Adams
No votes
Devils Gardens
No votes
Horseshoe Meadow-Lookingglass Lake
No votes
Potato Hill
No votes

Total votes: 2

Naturebat

Re: Scenery at Mt Adams Wilderness: Backpacking to High Camp

Post by Naturebat » February 25th, 2017, 6:40 am

jack65 wrote:@ ElementalFX,

That is some fantastic info you posted. Thank you for taking the time to do it.
I'm going to do that Killen Creek one and the Council Bluff Hike.
I'll be camping at Takhlakh Lake for six days, so I'll have the time.
I hope there will still be some blooms in mid August while we're there.
With my endurance & weight training, I'll make it, I've got 5+ months. I'm doing Yoga for balancing too.
Your post(s) has made me extremely motivated.

Yeah, no problem! Good luck on the trip!

My guess is that mid August will have some amount of wildflowers still in bloom. But every year varies, so perhaps this heavy snow year will mean a late wildflower bloom. :)
- Previously ElementalFX

jack65

Post by jack65 » August 29th, 2017, 12:44 pm

jack65 wrote:My wife & I plan to do the Divide Camp Trail #112 day hike this mid-August. Day trip only. Hope the blooms are still going then. We would like info like how hard this hike is and how far up the trail do I start seeing wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake etc. If there is another day trip hikes in area that will give me the views I'm after (wildflowers, wildlife, Mt Adams & Mt Rainier, St Helens and some of the small lakes, Takhlakh Lake) that is easier or shorter than the Divide Camp trail, let me know as well. Keep in mind I had hip replacement 3 years ago and I'm 64, so I don't move as fast or as well as I use to so time is running out for me on these type of hikes. Last August, I did the local Takh Takh Meadows Trail, Chain of Lakes trail and hiked around Takhlakh Lake without problems, but those didn't require much climbing. I will be packing my Nikon D500 with the Nikkor 200-500mm & 18-105mm lens too. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into. My wife is in great shape and younger. I'm currently doing conditioning and weight training for strength & endurance at the local fitness center and have six months to get ready.
Well, our planned hike, Divide Camp Trail #112 was closed this year due to some trail damage, a washed out bridge crossing a creek... so we did the Council Bluff trail instead. That was a very nice hike with fantastic views of mountain peaks once we reached the top. We had a wonderful week camping at Takhlakh Lake. Here is my photo blog website on that:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAda ... e-2017.htm

I've read where we were suppose to see Mt St Helens up there, but it was nowhere in sight???
We did see Mt Rainier, Mt Hood & of course majestic Mt Adams. The views were to die for!

Not too many blooms though.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2017, 12:49 pm

another thing you can do is go up Divide trail, then turn right on PCT, go a ways (1 mile?) and then go up towards Adams Glacier. Faint trails. Great views of the mountain. Not as many people as High Camp.