Muddy Fork Loop Sept 7 - 8 2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rainrunner

Muddy Fork Loop Sept 7 - 8 2013

Post by rainrunner » September 9th, 2013, 4:19 am

I have wanted to head back to Muddy Fork since our RTM hike last year, and hearing that the trails on the Timberline Trail in that area have been repaired, we decided to spend the night there this weekend.

The trails have indeed been repaired and are in great shape as of this post.

Mt Hood was still cloud covered from the recent rains as we started, but they were burning off by sunset.
We had a clear, but damp night (dew) and a sunny hike out the next morning.

Sunsets on the west side of Mt Hood can be so golden.

Just a short time before the colors turned...

The clouds were in and out for the entire sunset and the colors were gorgeous.

We decided not to camp in the forested sites and found a very small clearing, just large enough for the tent, along side of the trail with a nice view about 1/2 way between the forest and the river.

I did get a couple of night shots, but couldn't get a good tent night shot.

There was anxiety leading up to the two Muddy Fork River crossings, but we crossed early in the morning and it went ok. We did get into our river shoes for the second crossing since the rocks were very slippery. The water was very fast.

While eating breakfast after the river crossings, we saw the sun rise above Mt Hood. It was quick and over within 1 minute.

The trail repairs are great ~~ a lot better that our crossing last year.

We saw a lost sandal at the upper Muddy Fork crossing on the Timberline trail.

...and the matching one at the lower Muddy Fork crossing on the PCT.

The section from Muddy Fork to Bald Mt was very nice, sunny to the west, but the clouds again starting to cling to Mt Hood.

We ran into several PCT thru hikers and performed trail magic with our string cheese (Lady Killer, Jolly Rancher, New Orleans, Mountain Mike).

Seems to be a lot of mushrooms out now along the trails.

Pushing their way up through the top soil.

Not sure what exactly these are, but they were pretty.

A lot of red berries.

No way were we doing the log crossing at the lower Muddy Fork, so we put on our river shoes and waded through upstream with the help of a log.

Had some great views on the way back to car on the Ramona Falls trail.

http://gpsfly.org/a/2775
Last edited by rainrunner on September 9th, 2013, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Guy

Re: Muddy Fork Loop Sept 7 - 8 2013

Post by Guy » September 9th, 2013, 5:00 am

Great photos rainrunner, especially the Hood Sunset ones.

So I remember hearing something about the lower muddy fork crossing but can't remember, what happened to the bridge that was there?

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 9th, 2013, 10:25 am

Guy, we kept in mind your comment, "old ropes & dodgy creek crossings" on this hike.

Well, it would have been nice to have that bridge like we crossed back in 2008 with our son! And there is no longer a rope on the double logs that people were crossing. We just didn't feel comfortable after getting over the root ball, so went across in the water upstream.

DPEX talks about the trail here: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=15947
On a side note, the backpack is tagged now and right by a big log.
PTC warns hikers here: http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/ ... e-closure/
John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 9th, 2013, 12:09 pm

rainrunner wrote:
DPEX talks about the trail here: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=15947
On a side note, the backpack is tagged now and right by a big log.
PTC warns hikers here: http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/ ... e-closure/
I wondered about this. This backpack was here (It was near a small creek crossing on the narrow section of trail between Yocum Ridge trail and Muddy Fork) back on August 18 when I did the Timberline Trail. There was a wilderness permit on it dated from about a week earlier. Not sure what happened to it's owner. What does the tag that has been placed on it say?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » September 9th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Love the sunset shots. Great pics and TR! After seeing some of the pics from earlier this summer, it's nice to see the repair work that has been done. I might be able to get my wife up there now.

Who leaves a backpack like that and why? Curiosity is killing this old cat. Someone needs to track down the owner and get the story. Is the phone still legible on the wilderness permit?
Last edited by mjuliana on September 9th, 2013, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Mike J

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 9th, 2013, 12:37 pm

You can see where the pack is in the first trail repair photo I posted. Here is a close up. There wasn't a permit that I saw; however, I didn't move the pack, only the piece of paper on top ~~ Portland Hiker paraphernalia.
John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 9th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I guess we own it then :)

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » September 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm

rainrunner wrote:There was anxiety leading up to the two Muddy Fork River crossings, but we crossed early in the morning and it went ok. We did get into our river shoes for the second crossing since the rocks were very slippery. The water was very fast.
Interesting. I did those glacial stream crossings back in July (and many other times). My experience has been completely opposite. The silt carried down from above seems to constantly power wash the rocks. They were not slippery at all.
PCT class of 2012

Guy

Post by Guy » September 9th, 2013, 1:00 pm

The Muddy Fork & all the Hood Creeks were probably running high on the 7th & 8th after all the rain we got on the 5th & 6th!

There have been a few more summer rains storms than usual up on Hood this year keeping the creeks high! We went up to McNeil 08/30 after rain on 08/29. The Sandy down in Zigzag was running high brown more like what you would see in December! The only creek we had to cross that day was the non nondescript Glisan Creek but even that required a very long jump or fording.

That back pack is a real mystery...
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

aircooled

Post by aircooled » September 9th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Breathtaking photos! Thanks for the super TR - looks like they fixed that nasty slide on the Bald Mountain section of the TT. When I asked about it at the ZagZag ranger station this summer they kinda blew me off and I figured it wouldn't be repaired this year.

As for that green backpack... we saw it there back when we did Yocum Ridge on August 3rd this summer! We took a side trip to check out the slides and it was there then. It looked pretty fresh then and we thought the owner was maybe doing a little offtrail exploring for a route around the slide.