Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
texasbb

Re: Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/2

Post by texasbb » August 29th, 2013, 3:32 pm

drm wrote:
texasbb wrote:"but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area." That was described to me by phone as the usual spot just west of Goat Butte. Also, note that Tract D is open to the general public only between July 1 and September 30.
That sounds like Avalanche Valley - famous for its springs that just pop out of the hillside there. But I've been told by many people - both Forest Service staff and long-time locals, that Avalanche Valley is closed to camping.
All I know is what is on the printed info sheet the Mount Adams Ranger District sent me. Here's the fuller version of the passage I excerpted above:

"In Avalanche Valley head more or less north across Rush Creek, crossing this creek can be difficult depending on time of day and season, to the camp near the spring on the old FS Trail. The tribe does not permit dispersed camping but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area."

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2013, 4:25 pm

I bet there's no one up there

You could just camp, since there is inconsistent advice

Guy

Post by Guy » August 29th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Well done guys, that looks like a really fun trip. Something else I'll have to put on my list :) ....

Thanks for the great detailed report Brad
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

dixhuit

Post by dixhuit » August 29th, 2013, 9:14 pm

cascadehiker wrote: David, when you went down the Ridge of Wonders, what was your lowest elevation? We didn't get below 6,300ft between Avalanche Valley and the Klickitat Glacier.
I'm not sure how low we got--it was probably 35 years ago. I remember that the descent was really steep, and we grabbed onto trees to slow ourselves. The creek crossings were hairy, and the climb back up along Rusk Creek was tough. Ah, to be young and strong again. The high route is definitely the way to go.

David
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate
circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer.
--Mark Twain

drm

Post by drm » August 30th, 2013, 8:25 am

texasbb wrote:
drm wrote:
texasbb wrote:"but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area." That was described to me by phone as the usual spot just west of Goat Butte. Also, note that Tract D is open to the general public only between July 1 and September 30.
That sounds like Avalanche Valley - famous for its springs that just pop out of the hillside there. But I've been told by many people - both Forest Service staff and long-time locals, that Avalanche Valley is closed to camping.
All I know is what is on the printed info sheet the Mount Adams Ranger District sent me. Here's the fuller version of the passage I excerpted above:

"In Avalanche Valley head more or less north across Rush Creek, crossing this creek can be difficult depending on time of day and season, to the camp near the spring on the old FS Trail. The tribe does not permit dispersed camping but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area."
I just called and they confirmed this, that camping is allowed in the "old campground" in Avalanche Valley. I didn't ask about Sunrise Camp, but I assume that is still allowed as well.

Since you left Sunrise southbound unexpectedly, I can only imagine where you stayed that night since it is a long ways from there to the next place where camping is allowed.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 30th, 2013, 10:50 am

I just want to add to the raves. Looks like you kept on track in the Yakama section - this is one on my wish list . . .

romann

Post by romann » August 30th, 2013, 11:42 am

Great pictures, trip and info! That's quite a loop.

On my wish list as well, may be next year.

Roy

Post by Roy » August 31st, 2013, 6:45 am

Great report IMO its last real the wilderness south of BC on the Indian nation part of that hike.

Imagine C.E. Rusk his mother and sister were the first know white people to circumvent Adams in around 1890? He named many of features on the side and spent years climbing on the east side. His ashes are on the Castle, he was the first to summit from east side by going up and over it.

This place will forever hold a special place in my heart. Your fortunate visit it. Lets hope the nation keeps its this way we all Know what the USFS does to things ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 8th, 2015, 8:48 am

What's your estimation for the pace/time to get through that tricky section on the east side for planning purposes?

Is the steep glacier/snow field travel any easier going one way or the other?

Do you think it would be advisable to hit the snow in the late afternoon to avoid it being particularly icy? Or asked another way, would it be pretty sketchy if it were hit first thing in the morning? How sketchy would you say it really was for you?

I'm looking to do it the weekend of 8/8 which I'm guessing in this low snow year shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Assuming all the forests aren't on fire!)

Thanks! Fantastic report.

-GoalTech/Mike

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » March 8th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Ah, wonderful memories!
mjirving wrote:What's your estimation for the pace/time to get through that tricky section on the east side for planning purposes?
The tricky section is what I would describe as the section from Avalanche Valley to Sunrise Camp. No trail whatsoever.

I looked at the time stamp of my pictures for that trip and it looks like we did that stretch in under four hours. We were not going super fast or super slow. I slowed the others guys down, but only just a little bit.
mjirving wrote:Is the steep glacier/snow field travel any easier going one way or the other?
I’ve only done it once, and we went uphill. I had micro-spikes and they had full crampons. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be.
mjirving wrote:Do you think it would be advisable to hit the snow in the late afternoon to avoid it being particularly icy? Or asked another way, would it be pretty sketchy if it were hit first thing in the morning? How sketchy would you say it really was for you?
The glacier surface was slightly melted when we did it, which made for good traction. If it was hard frozen, going downhill would be scary. We were on the glacier from about 10:30 AM to until about 11:15 AM. We skirted around on the rocks on the left side of the glacier until we had to walk on it.
mjirving wrote:I'm looking to do it the weekend of 8/8 which I'm guessing in this low snow year shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Assuming all the forests aren't on fire!)
Probably should be doable then. Bring mosquito repellant.

Other comments:
- Use my tracks to help with the section with no trail. There are areas where you want to try and stay near 6400’ until it becomes obvious where to go. Track: http://gpsfly.org/g/3103
- Cross the Big Muddy further away from the source than we did. Rocks were coming down from the glacier.
- I would like to do that trip again, but take more time to enjoy it. We blasted through it pretty quick.
- Take a side trip up to Devils Garden if you get the chance. It’s worth it.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports