Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
walkin62

Re: Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/2

Post by walkin62 » March 10th, 2015, 7:38 am

Technically, camping on the reservation land is prohibited without permission from the Yakima tribe. Even traveling through it without paying the fee and getting a permit is cause for a fine, but I'm not sure how much they enforce this. I will say, I did run in to a Yakima ranger in Bird Creek Meadows at the Hellroaring VP so they are out there
I did this trip several years ago and called the Yakama Nation before I went, because I was told you had to get their permission and let them know you'd be there. It's a good idea so that if you run into any Yakama who question why you are there, you can say you did get permission and who you talked to and when. They said we could hike across that section, but were technically required to pay the permit fee. Since we were starting from the South Side climb trailhead, I was told that we should each have the permit fee amount on us, because if we saw a ranger we would have to pay it, otherwise not to worry about it.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » March 10th, 2015, 11:02 am

walkin62 wrote:
Technically, camping on the reservation land is prohibited without permission from the Yakima tribe. Even traveling through it without paying the fee and getting a permit is cause for a fine, but I'm not sure how much they enforce this. I will say, I did run in to a Yakima ranger in Bird Creek Meadows at the Hellroaring VP so they are out there
I did this trip several years ago and called the Yakama Nation before I went, because I was told you had to get their permission and let them know you'd be there. It's a good idea so that if you run into any Yakama who question why you are there, you can say you did get permission and who you talked to and when. They said we could hike across that section, but were technically required to pay the permit fee. Since we were starting from the South Side climb trailhead, I was told that we should each have the permit fee amount on us, because if we saw a ranger we would have to pay it, otherwise not to worry about it.
I've hiked around 3 times now. If you call the Mt Adams Ranger District in Trout Lake you'll learn you don't need a permit for passing through Yakama lands.

Crossing the Klickitat is straightforward. I don't recall seeing any crevasses on route. I manage that part with just trekking poles.
PCT class of 2012

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » March 10th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Nice report and pictures, haven't seen the videos yet.

jmaurer

Post by jmaurer » August 17th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for having such a great hiking resource.

I'm going to be rounding Adams on September 1 and wanted to ask those who have done it, where did you store your food overnight? Should I plan on bringing a bear bag setup or are there no good trees from which to hang a bag? I don't have a bear canister.

Thanks!
-jeff

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 17th, 2016, 8:24 pm

We hung in trees both nights. A bear can is not with the weight anyway. It's mainly to protect from mice in my experience. Have a great hike. This was one of my all-time favorites.

Mike

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » August 18th, 2016, 5:16 am

jmaurer wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for having such a great hiking resource.

I'm going to be rounding Adams on September 1 and wanted to ask those who have done it, where did you store your food overnight? Should I plan on bringing a bear bag setup or are there no good trees from which to hang a bag? I don't have a bear canister.

Thanks!
-jeff

Currently the east side of Mount Adams (in the Yakama Nation Mt. Adams Recreation Area) is closed to hiking, camping, or other types of recreation this summer because of last year's 50,000 acre Cougar Creek Fire that burned through the east side. Next year it should re-open for public access.

Courtesy Friends of Mt. Adams and Darryl Lloyd
- Previously ElementalFX