Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

Re: Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/2

Post by mjirving » March 8th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Thanks! Great tips! Any water concerns or is it pretty plentiful? And any "must stay" camping locations?

I appreciate your help.

Mike

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » March 8th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Hey Mike. You'll love this trip, it's pretty incredible. Brad gives a good account of the time from Avalanche Valley to Sunrise Camp. Check out my solo trip report that I did a week after this one. I went counter-clockwise, which I do NOT recommend. I had thought that descending the Klickitat Glacier would be easier and save time, but it didn't. Also it is much easier navigating and hiking south across the trail-less section of the Yakama reservation. In the few places where the trail does appear to vanish, you simply need to keep heading towards the west side of Goat Butte, and you'll also lose elevation on this section, which is always nice. Regarding August 8th- should be doable but in a crazy low snow year, the upper sections of the glacier, right below Sunrise, could have crevasses. I did a clockwise loop with my dad, maybe 7 years ago, and I did encounter this. I'd consider carrying an ice ax, simply to self-arrest if needed. I can remember walking on pure ice. This year July 8th or even June 8th might be possible, and earlier dates could be better on the glacier.
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » March 9th, 2015, 11:34 am

mjirving wrote:Thanks! Great tips! Any water concerns or is it pretty plentiful? And any "must stay" camping locations?

I appreciate your help.

Mike
You should camp in Avalanche Valley if you get the opportunity. Water is not an issue.
PCT class of 2012

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 9th, 2015, 2:51 pm

You should camp in Avalanche Valley if you get the opportunity. Water is not an issue.
Technically, camping on the reservation land is prohibited without permission from the Yakima tribe. Even traveling through it without paying the fee and getting a permit is cause for a fine, but I'm not sure how much they enforce this. I will say, I did run in to a Yakima ranger in Bird Creek Meadows at the Hellroaring VP so they are out there.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 9th, 2015, 3:04 pm

So I take it Avalanche Valley is in the reservation?

Also, the "crevasse" comment has me a bit concerned. Are we talking like roping up, helmets, full crampons and such? I'm not sure I'm quite up for that kind of risk/activity.

Thoughts?

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 9th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Yes, the entire East side of the mountain, including Avalanche Valley, is on the Yakima lands. Here is where I found some information re: hiking in that part of Adams country.

::edit for typo::
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » March 9th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Miah - that site is 8 years old. The best source now is the Forest Service rangers office in Trout Lake as they deal with the Yakima regularly. Things have eased up.

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » March 9th, 2015, 6:06 pm

mjirving wrote:

Also, the "crevasse" comment has me a bit concerned. Are we talking like roping up, helmets, full crampons and such? I'm not sure I'm quite up for that kind of risk/activity.

Thoughts?
Helmets and crampons would definitely be advisable. Both Chase and Brad can attest to the fact that we had baseball-sized rocks zipping by our heads as we crossed the headwaters right before stepping onto the glacier. And if there are crevasses up higher on the glacier I would recommend exiting onto the rocks to your left and scrambling up the last few hundred feet. That's exactly what I did seven years ago after stepping across the first few cracks but then getting freaked out when they started being 2 to 3 feet across. Roping up seems like more danger than it's worth. Just be aware of the fact that this is a real life glacier, and not terra firma.
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

Chase

Post by Chase » March 9th, 2015, 6:36 pm

drm wrote:Miah - that site is 8 years old. The best source now is the Forest Service rangers office in Trout Lake as they deal with the Yakima regularly. Things have eased up.
I've been on the rez there a few times in the past five years. If you are polite and offer money, they may or may not take it.

Also, the glacier in July will probably need to be crossed with spikes of some sort. If you cross it early in the day, it will possibly be frozen and slick on top. Later in the day might seem better, but there's more rockfall then. Whichever you choose, use caution. I'd say that was the only part of the trip that seemed dangerous.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 9th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the good info. I was planning on microspikes with my trekking poles but not necessarily an ice ax or helmet. Good point on the morning traverse.

I also realized my dates were off and I'm actually looking at mid July. (if that changes any opinions)