Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Re: Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/2

Post by Don Nelsen » August 27th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Brad, great report, pics, history and video - You really do a fantastic job on your reports! Adam and Chase, thanks for keeping the rest of us humble :D

Brad, though there is no "Brad" mountain in OR, there are several "Bradley" mountains in other western states you could take a shot at - looks like the highest in CA at over 13k'. Chase, you are in luck! - there is a Chase Mountain a few miles SW of Klamath Falls.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 27th, 2013, 4:07 pm

heyyy... you're cheating and looking at summitpost.org :D

dixhuit

Post by dixhuit » August 27th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Nice TR. This is one of my favorite trips as well. The first time I did it, we went low, descending the Ridge of Wonders to crossings of Big Muddy and Rusk Creeks. Really nasty--I do not recommend that route. The last two times, I went over Sunrise Camp, as you did. Much better.

I'm curious about your choice to descend to the Big Muddy rather than crossing a bit higher and avoiding the crossing. I believe it springs full-blown out of the mountain just above where you crossed it.

David

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » August 27th, 2013, 4:53 pm

dixhuit wrote:
I'm curious about your choice to descend to the Big Muddy rather than crossing a bit higher and avoiding the crossing. I believe it springs full-blown out of the mountain just above where you crossed it.

David
Cross a bit higher... as in up on the glacier? We felt the dangers were minimized by crossing right at the headwaters of the Big Muddy. Still dangerous, but less so than trekking across unstable rock on melting ice. David, when you went down the Ridge of Wonders, what was your lowest elevation? We didn't get below 6,300ft between Avalanche Valley and the Klickitat Glacier.
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

potato

Post by potato » August 27th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Good job!
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 27th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Fantastic! That's been on my to-do list for a while now. I was about 2 days from doing it last year when the darn mountain caught fire, and haven't been able to work it in this year. I'm interested in your clockwise choice; most reports I've seen recommend counterclockwise to allow an easier bailout if something goes wrong on the east side. Comments?

funhog

Post by funhog » August 27th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Sounds like a grand adventure but I can't help but wonder how you dealt with the fact that much of your route was on land closed to non-Yakamas? http://www.ynwildlife.org/pdf/Brochure2 ... %20(2).pdf Of course, I've been to the top of a certain Butte near Detroit, so I don't exactly have an untarnished record.

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » August 27th, 2013, 7:55 pm

funhog wrote:Sounds like a grand adventure but I can't help but wonder how you dealt with the fact that much of your route was on land closed to non-Yakamas? http://www.ynwildlife.org/pdf/Brochure2 ... %20(2).pdf Of course, I've been to the top of a certain Butte near Detroit, so I don't exactly have an untarnished record.
I'm not sure what you mean. Here's a quote from the brochure you linked:

"The Yakama Nation Mt. Adams Recreation Area is a unique area of the Yakama Reservation. It is the only area within the Yakama Reservation forested boundary that is open to non-Yakama tribal members"

:?
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

funhog

Post by funhog » August 27th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Yeah, the part in the MA Recreation Area is open to the public but the rest isn't. For some reason the link didn't show the map:
Yakama-Nation.jpg

drm

Post by drm » August 27th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I was wondering why there were no pics of Sunrise Camp - until your description at the end. What a shame.

I used to have this full loop on my list, and have done all of it in parts except for Sunrise Camp to Avalanche Valley. But I have no crampons. Do you think traction devices would suffice on the Klickitat Glacier?
Last edited by drm on August 28th, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.