Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gaby

Re: Mt. Adams: All the Way ‘Round the Mt. w/TFFs 8/23/13-8/2

Post by gaby » August 28th, 2013, 7:20 am

I am in for next summer! So keep training guys! :))

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 28th, 2013, 11:37 am

texasbb wrote:Fantastic! That's been on my to-do list for a while now. I was about 2 days from doing it last year when the darn mountain caught fire, and haven't been able to work it in this year. I'm interested in your clockwise choice; most reports I've seen recommend counterclockwise to allow an easier bailout if something goes wrong on the east side. Comments?
Todd,

It’s an awesome loop and from your TRs you sound experienced enough to take it on.

Regarding the direction we went, I think you are right about the way most people go. After completing the route myself, I think either way would be fine. CCW would get the hard sections out of the way in the beginning.
drm wrote:I was wondering why there were no pics of Sunrise Camp - until your description at the end. Shame.

I used to have this fool loop on my list, and have done all of it in parts except for Sunrise to Avalanche Valley. But I have no crampons. Do you think traction devices would suffice on the Klickitat Glacier?
Dean,

Yeah, no one wanted to be the one to get out of our shelters at Sunrise Camp to get a picture. When we did make a break for it, no one wanted to stop for a picture.

I think it would be wise to use traction devices on the Klickitat Glacier, although I have heard of people traversing it without them. Chase and Adam had full crampons, while I had Kahtoola microspikes. We all also had hiking poles. None of us had any problems at all with slipping. In fact we were all surprised how easy it was climbing the glacier.
gaby wrote:I am in for next summer! So keep training guys! :))
Gaby,

I’m not sure if I will be planning another trip there for a while myself. Be aware that the trip is not a day trip. Also, there are several miles worth of off-trail rock scrambling that can be dangerous. I know you broke your ankle on Mt. Defiance this summer and that trail is far easier and safer than the east side of Mt. Adams and much closer to a rescue.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 28th, 2013, 11:45 am

dixhuit wrote:I'm curious about your choice to descend to the Big Muddy rather than crossing a bit higher and avoiding the crossing. I believe it springs full-blown out of the mountain just above where you crossed it.
You can see the rocky snout of the glacier in the picture of where the TFF's crossed. The glacial melt stream is seen flowing out from below the ice. I wouldn't cross any higher since traveling across that rock covered ice can be treacherous, especially climbing and descending it's edges.

There was a huge debris avalanche there in 1997 that went past the terminus and insulated it with a rock covering.
adams_usfs_oct97_debris_aval.gif
Here is a link to that event.

The wooden structure in the last photo was part of a gate/cattle guard at the edge of a meadow.
PCT class of 2012

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 28th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Yeah, the part in the MA Recreation Area is open to the public but the rest isn't.
I am curious about this as well. I have heard that you can dayhike through these areas, but you are not allowed to camp overnight in them.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » August 28th, 2013, 3:03 pm

miah66 wrote:I am curious about this as well. I have heard that you can dayhike through these areas, but you are not allowed to camp overnight in them.
The only place you can backpack camp without advance permission is Sunrise Camp (there are the car campgrounds of course).

gaby

Post by gaby » August 28th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Borntobbrad,
I didnt break my ankle in Mt. Defiance, actually i finished Defiance, passed through North Lake and then got distracted taking pictures of berries and slipped on an easy, flat, small but wet rock as i was just walking! So, the ankle break has nothing to do with the difficulty of the trail at all. It was just my luck! So, ditto: I am doing Adam's loop next year :) We're not going to let fear stop us, right?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 28th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Ha!

I broke my leg skiing at Mt Hood Meadows right at the bottom of the bunny slope - many years ago

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 28th, 2013, 7:06 pm

drm wrote:
miah66 wrote:I am curious about this as well. I have heard that you can dayhike through these areas, but you are not allowed to camp overnight in them.
The only place you can backpack camp without advance permission is Sunrise Camp (there are the car campgrounds of course).
According to the information sent to me by the Forest Service last year, dispersed camping is not permitted in Tract D (the eastern part on reservation land) "but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area." That was described to me by phone as the usual spot just west of Goat Butte. Also, note that Tract D is open to the general public only between July 1 and September 30.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » August 28th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Epic, epic, EPIC!

Fantastic TR, gents, and what a fine documentary on what must be one of the most unsung traverses in our region. Thanks also for calling it straight-- this is a trip with far more risk than your average trip above timberline in our region.

I'm guessing you got caught up in a lenticulation when you were at Sunrise camp. It's typical to have the wind howling like mad above the lenticular layer and nearly calm below. Very smart to bail in that circumstance.

Quoting Gaby, we should not let fear stop us! I believe wilderness is a place where people should know and experience risk. And just as Gaby experienced, even seemingly benign circumstances will cause injury-- or death. That's wilderness for you.

But I have no sympathy for those who dismiss the wisdom of experience, and take high risks in the name of overcoming fear. If someone chooses to hike in shorts and tee shirt into a lenticular, then breaks their ankle because they didn't have crampons on when crossing a 30 degree glacier, and then die from hypothermia-- tough beans from me. My sympathy will be for those left behind who pay the cost of their folly.

IMO, you guys did your homework and make great choices. I hope others learn from your experience!

drm

Post by drm » August 29th, 2013, 6:27 am

texasbb wrote:"but it is allowed to camp near the spring in the old camping area." That was described to me by phone as the usual spot just west of Goat Butte. Also, note that Tract D is open to the general public only between July 1 and September 30.
That sounds like Avalanche Valley - famous for its springs that just pop out of the hillside there. But I've been told by many people - both Forest Service staff and long-time locals, that Avalanche Valley is closed to camping.