Mount Rainier National Park: Pinnacle-Plummer Saddle 8-17-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Mount Rainier National Park: Pinnacle-Plummer Saddle 8-17-13

Post by payslee » August 19th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Saturday morning dawned foggy but the forecast didn’t call for anything too dire, so we decided to take our chances and hike high in the morning. We’d been transfixed by the Tatoosh Range from Paradise while hiking there on Friday, so decided our morning destination would be the Pinnacle Plummer Trail, 3 miles round trip to the saddle with about 1150 feet gain. We also explored around and did some scrambling once up there, so who knows what the totals were.

Small falls on the way up.
We passed a WTA crew hauling up gravel from a truck at the trailhead and promised to bring some stones down with us, if we found any.

The clouds gave the day a very different feeling than the day before.

Rescue copter heading up to the mountain. I never heard the full story on this, but a few hours later we saw them coming out with the rescue basket dangling.

Exploring the saddle

Word is, on a clear day this valley points you straight down to Adams. Even without, it was lovely.

This marmot was very suspicious of us.

I got about halfway up this scramble to the top before I remembered that I am a sniveling coward.

I pretended to take flower pictures on the way down so I could recover my breath. Luckily it was not hard to pretend.

Heading back down from the saddle, Rainier is still hiding in the clouds, making me glad we’d visited Paradise on such a stunning blue sky day

These trees really caught my eye, especially with tiny hikers for scale

Back on the lower trail, we gave the trail crew our promised rocks, admired the flowers, and had lunch at Reflection Lake, where we debated where we should explore for the afternoon…

joerunner

Re: Mount Rainier National Park: Pinnacle-Plummer Saddle 8-1

Post by joerunner » August 19th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Beautiful pictures. :)

payslee

Post by payslee » August 20th, 2013, 10:00 am

Thanks Joe!

The entire Rainier area is unreasonably beautiful. I'll definitely be back for more exploring.

-payslee

awildman

Post by awildman » August 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm

payslee wrote:The entire Rainier area is unreasonably beautiful. I'll definitely be back for more exploring.
:)

Nice series of reports!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Roy

Post by Roy » August 20th, 2013, 6:32 pm

awildman wrote:
payslee wrote:The entire Rainier area is unreasonably beautiful. I'll definitely be back for more exploring.
:)

Nice series of reports!
Agreed that photo of the copter is really nice. I hope to make it up to the Tatoosh on a quite day this Oct the colors are something from what I remember.

Pinnacle is popular but its exposed not the best first climb,(if that is yours) takes a while to stop puckering up on those type of thing's. It did for me :)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

jalepeno

Post by jalepeno » August 20th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Great pix, Payslee.
I love that area, especially in fall.(Ssh!)

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » August 21st, 2013, 2:54 am

20 years ago Mazamas toke me to climb Pinnacle but early season Month of May with glasade most of route you hiked....my ability now limited...but hike to saddle looks fun

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 24th, 2013, 3:33 pm

payslee wrote:These trees really caught my eye, especially with tiny hikers for scale

Just a couple of days ago, I was reading some stuff online and learned why trees bend like this... and I thought of your trip report because I was going through my photos and found a picture (attached) of the same trees from a couple weeks earlier.

Anyway, it's because of creep, a.k.a. mass-wasting (a.k.a. gravity!). See how the trunks are all curved the same direction? When they first started growing, they were pointed upward, but then the hillside started shifting beneath them — sliding downhill and rotating counter-clockwise, from this perspective. The tops of the trees compensated and starting pointing upwards, but the oldest parts of the trunks, firmly attached to the roots, remain perpendicular to the ground.

(Maybe this was already obvious to everyone else, but I found it interesting.) :)
Attachments
curvy_hemlocks.jpg

anne37

Post by anne37 » August 24th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I loved your line about remembering that you are a sniveling coward - I have those moments myself sometimes. :D