Three Fingered Jack Loop, 20-July-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
aircooled

Re: Three Fingered Jack Loop, 20-July-2013

Post by aircooled » July 29th, 2014, 12:54 pm

The trail between Booth Lake and Santiam Pass is no longer overgrown. Crews have done some serious brushing out where needed and some blowdown has been cut as well. There was a crew of USFS interns in there as of July 28, 2014 with a crosscut saw and other trail tools. There's almost no blowdown between Santiam Pass and Square Lake. Between First Creek and Jack Lake, there's moderate blowdown, most of it is stepover stuff. No telling how far the crew will get - I met them at Booth Lake 7/28.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2014, 12:56 pm

aircooled wrote:The trail between Booth Lake and Santiam Pass is no longer overgrown. Crews have done some serious brushing out where needed and some blowdown has been cut as well.
Yea! That was seriously overgrown last year! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 29th, 2014, 2:00 pm

kepPNW wrote:
aircooled wrote:The trail between Booth Lake and Santiam Pass is no longer overgrown. Crews have done some serious brushing out where needed and some blowdown has been cut as well.
Yea! That was seriously overgrown last year! :D
Music to my ears - I am backpacking this the weekend after next.

Is there indeed an user trail that connects Canyon Creek Meadows up to the PCT without going all the way to Wasco Lake? That would certainly save us some time on day 2!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2014, 2:22 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:Is there indeed an user trail that connects Canyon Creek Meadows up to the PCT without going all the way to Wasco Lake? That would certainly save us some time on day 2!
I swear I saw parts of it from up on the TFJ saddle, but later in the day when we were going south on the PCT it wasn't apparent enough to notice. I've sure heard numerous mentions of it here, too. Didn't look too awfully challenging though, especially compared to the bushwhack up the south side of that saddle.
20130720_5045a.JPG
PCT can be seen below ridge. CC Meadows below.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » July 29th, 2014, 4:44 pm

kepPNW wrote:Didn't look too awfully challenging though, especially compared to the bushwhack up the south side of that saddle.
Agreed. The slope just north of Porcupine Rock did not look particularly challenging. With or without a trail. Pretty short too, so if it's rough at least it won't last long.