Three Fingered Jack Loop, 20-July-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Three Fingered Jack Loop, 20-July-2013

Post by retired jerry » July 25th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Where are your pictures Diz?

And welcome!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 25th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Diz wrote:My wife and I did the loop as a back pack that same weekend starting Sat afternoon. Saw a weird zig zag pattern on the glacier Sunday and wondered what the heck it was. Now I know it was the goat! Great pictures, was hot and dry up there all weekend but beautiful.
Where'd you start and stop from - the Santiam Pass trailhead? Where did you end up camping at overnight? I was really eyeballing Wasco Lake and a couple of other lakes, thinking about doing a future overnight trip up there.

I hope you didn't do that crazy off-trail mess that we slogged up with full overnight packs. There are definitely gentler options to get around TFJ. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

cfm

Post by cfm » July 25th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Wow what a great trip, and such beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Diz

Post by Diz » July 26th, 2013, 5:51 am

We started at Santiam around 5 pm and went in to Booth lake for the first night. We didn't do the over the saddle method and opted to go around Jack lake and over to canyon creek meadows that way. We did end up slugging our packs up the saddle from the meadow side as a training run for Aasgard pass and our Enchantments trip at the end of summer. Spent most of Sunday taking pictures and bumming around the area and spent the night at Wasco lake. Then out Monday morning on the PCT. Not quite enough mileage between camps for 2 nights but we made due and enjoyed it. Pictures to follow as my first trip report

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » July 26th, 2013, 9:10 am

You two are mad men ! I enjoyed every word and every photo so much. Now, that is an epic adventure with and epic trip report to match. Thank you so much for sharing ! :D
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

Roy

Post by Roy » July 26th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Beautiful report it was a warm weekend for trudging around old volcano's. We are very lucky here for a way to short amount of time if your willing to drive a bit you get to sample so many different alpine areas. From the Alps like Northern Washington cascades to the more arid Andes like central and southern Oregon and I'm leaving out a lot of other great stuff. Ive always thought it was worth the driving.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 27th, 2013, 10:09 am

Diz wrote:My wife and I did the loop as a back pack that same weekend starting Sat afternoon. Saw a weird zig zag pattern on the glacier Sunday and wondered what the heck it was. Now I know it was the goat! Great pictures, was hot and dry up there all weekend but beautiful.
Sounds like a great trip! Look forward to hearing more about it. That goat was just freakin' crazy! I mean, you certainly hear about the incredible places they can get to. But I just couldn't begin to fathom a reason for him wanting to go there, much less the ability! What a treat. :)
cfm wrote:Wow what a great trip, and such beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
roadtripmom wrote:You two are mad men ! I enjoyed every word and every photo so much. Now, that is an epic adventure with and epic trip report to match. Thank you so much for sharing ! :D
Thanks! My (our) pleasure! The sharing helps keep the memories alive for so much longer, it's a two-way thing. :)
Roy wrote:Beautiful report it was a warm weekend for trudging around old volcano's. We are very lucky here for a way to short amount of time if your willing to drive a bit you get to sample so many different alpine areas. From the Alps like Northern Washington cascades to the more arid Andes like central and southern Oregon and I'm leaving out a lot of other great stuff. Ive always thought it was worth the driving.
Yeah, it was a long haul, not for every weekend... Then again, if you can... Reminds me of that WWII saying, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 27th, 2013, 10:26 am

Diz wrote:We started at Santiam around 5 pm and went in to Booth lake for the first night. We didn't do the over the saddle method and opted to go around Jack lake and over to canyon creek meadows that way. We did end up slugging our packs up the saddle from the meadow side as a training run for Aasgard pass and our Enchantments trip at the end of summer. Spent most of Sunday taking pictures and bumming around the area and spent the night at Wasco lake. Then out Monday morning on the PCT. Not quite enough mileage between camps for 2 nights but we made due and enjoyed it. Pictures to follow as my first trip report
That's certainly the route I'd take if I had overnight gear with me. No loony off-trail stuff, if I could avoid it. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 28th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Fantastic TR! Sure am glad I could not make it to another awesome trip! I love reading and watching others have a great time while I cry & sniffle my self to sleep :)

Seriously?? What photo Advertisement front page were you guys on? Bammmm for sure!

O and I don't want to hear about Crusak not being able to handle hiking in the heat...jeeezzer!!

TFF trailhead shot. Definitely a wide-brim day!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 28th, 2013, 9:00 pm

mayhem wrote:O and I don't want to hear about Crusak not being able to handle hiking in the heat...jeeezzer!!
You didn't see me blubbering and ready to tarp out at about mile 10 or 12. :D Seriously, I think I had Karl worried there. It was definitely the heat and the dry air that was gettin' to me. My experiment in wearing "desert attire" failed, I think. Once I switch to the lightweight short sleeve shirt I was better off.

We missed you guys out there though, mayhem! It would have been awesome if a few other TFFs had come along for the fun.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando