Elevator Shaft to the Buick

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AAdamsPDX

Re: Elevator Shaft to the Buick

Post by AAdamsPDX » October 24th, 2015, 8:28 am

What a fun thread - thanks to Chase for the "bump up" so I had a chance to read it. Makes me want to explore more up there!

Funny thing, I've not done a lot of hiking in the gorge (gasps all around, I know) - mostly GPNF and Mt. Hood. But I just recently did a hike that incorporated a bit of the road back to Multnomah Basin and had one of those creepy feelings that someone had just passed right in front of me when I turned my head to the side.

Not a big believer in ghosts and such, but Don's comment way back early in the thread about Mabel's ghost being seen up there gave me goosebumps. :lol:
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

zarrington

Post by zarrington » November 12th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Eva Arrington had a car and would drive it into the Basin--truly a rough trip. Not sure if the car that is in the Basin was Eva's. The Trails club might know, as they have considerable history with Eva. Eva was married (twice) to my father (Warren) and they lived in the Basin (along with a bunch of other homesteaders). Warren and Eva both worked for the Forest Service for a time, mostly fire protection and visitor herding from the 1920s until the 1940s. The Forest Service kept a record of people who visited the Basin and this record is in the hands of Ken Arrington's--fifth or sixth wife (Ken is now deceased), Jackie (I think she still has it).
After years of living in the Basin as the only women Forest Ranger, Eva eventually moved out and finally moved to Zigzag. It was Mabel Arrington who stayed in the Basin until her death in February, 1960. She had mostly lived in the Basin from childhood and was actually arrested for going to the Basin against John Teuscher's wishes (John Teuscher was her uncle and head of the Boys and Girls Aid Society). As you probably know, she had an accident when she was in her 20s which injured the left side of her face (have not been able to find any public records about it), leaving it severely scared. After the accident, she moved to the Basin and wouldn't allow anyone to see her with the exception of my mother and father and my brother and I (my Dad was her brother as I alluded to earlier). When we visited, she would always hold her hood (or hat brim in the summer) in front of the left side of her face. She was very articulate. We would take food to her at least every month, rain, shine or snow. (And, there was snow sometimes and we had to walk into the Basin from Larch Mt Road to take food to her--I still have memories of the hikes!)
Dad built and moved a small building into the Basin for her to live in but it was too visible so she never used it. The Police found her accidentally in 1964 when two women hikers got lost, and parked by her little home (most tree branches). There's an article in the Oregonian archives about it as well as a picture, but it doesn't show much detail. The article calls her "Hazel" not Mabel.
In the 1920s and 30s, the Forest Service attempted to purchase all of the land in the Basin, and Dad was the last to sell. He finally sold after Mabel died. ZArrington

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 12th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Love hearing about the history of this area.
Woodswalker

Limey

Post by Limey » November 13th, 2015, 7:43 am

It is so wonderful to hear about the history of a place from someone who actually lived it. Much better than a book. Thank you very much.

Marilyn

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 13th, 2015, 12:20 pm

zarrington wrote:Eva Arrington had a car and would drive it into the Basin--truly a rough trip. Not sure if the car that is in the Basin was Eva's. The Trails club might know, as they have considerable history with Eva. Eva was married (twice) to my father (Warren) and they lived in the Basin (along with a bunch of other homesteaders). Warren and Eva both worked for the Forest Service for a time, mostly fire protection and visitor herding from the 1920s until the 1940s. The Forest Service kept a record of people who visited the Basin and this record is in the hands of Ken Arrington's--fifth or sixth wife (Ken is now deceased), Jackie (I think she still has it).
After years of living in the Basin as the only women Forest Ranger, Eva eventually moved out and finally moved to Zigzag. It was Mabel Arrington who stayed in the Basin until her death in February, 1960. She had mostly lived in the Basin from childhood and was actually arrested for going to the Basin against John Teuscher's wishes (John Teuscher was her uncle and head of the Boys and Girls Aid Society). As you probably know, she had an accident when she was in her 20s which injured the left side of her face (have not been able to find any public records about it), leaving it severely scared. After the accident, she moved to the Basin and wouldn't allow anyone to see her with the exception of my mother and father and my brother and I (my Dad was her brother as I alluded to earlier). When we visited, she would always hold her hood (or hat brim in the summer) in front of the left side of her face. She was very articulate. We would take food to her at least every month, rain, shine or snow. (And, there was snow sometimes and we had to walk into the Basin from Larch Mt Road to take food to her--I still have memories of the hikes!)
Dad built and moved a small building into the Basin for her to live in but it was too visible so she never used it. The Police found her accidentally in 1964 when two women hikers got lost, and parked by her little home (most tree branches). There's an article in the Oregonian archives about it as well as a picture, but it doesn't show much detail. The article calls her "Hazel" not Mabel.
In the 1920s and 30s, the Forest Service attempted to purchase all of the land in the Basin, and Dad was the last to sell. He finally sold after Mabel died. ZArrington
1920: Edwin Arrington with son Warren Arrington living in Brower

In Nov 1920 this article is in the Oregonian:
mabel.jpg
Having a very difficult time finding Mabel or Hazel in the census records. The article about E.J.'s death in 1928 lists Son: Warren, of Warrendale, Son: Edwin, of Corbett, and Daughter: Miss Mabel Arrington in Marysville CA

1930: Warren and Eva and a son Kenyon were living in Basin, Warren working at the Fish Hatchery. Also living with a Stepson Clayton M Kane, and Step Daughter Francis Kane

in 1940 there is a Warren M Arrington Helen Eva Arrington and Kenyon Arrington living on McCormick Rd in Washington County

Edwin's obituary from 1973 lists him as Husband of Hazel G Arrington, and brother to Warren, and a Lillian Blankenship

Hazel's obit is in 1986, she was an accomplished musician (apparently the first person to play the piano over the radio in Portland) and passed away in Eugene in her step daughters house at 93 years old.

The article from 1955 about the missing women and searchers finding her cabin does say Hazel, but I'm not convinced it was Hazel and not Mabel

zarrington

Post by zarrington » February 5th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Here's a bit of recent history for you. My half-brother Kenyon Arrington and his high school girlfriend, Alice Pirie (Kenyon's parents were Warren Arrington and Eva) were the only ones to fall off the top of Multnomah Falls (at least that's according to my research). Here's the story. Apparently, Ken and Alice were visiting Eva at her home (Eva had a home in Bridle Veil at the time--think it was her winter home). Both were students at Hillsboro high school and Ken was mostly staying with our father (Warren) in Hillsboro (hence: Hillsboro High School). They were running down the trail above the top falls at Multnomah Falls, and they didn't realize how close they were from the top of the top falls. According to my father, Ken knew how close they were and was yelling at Alice to stop, but she thought he was playing. Anyway, they both fell off the top of the top falls. Alice fell into the upper pond and Ken fell into a large fir tree (no longer there but take a look at some old Mult Falls pix). Alice was pulled out of the pond and an ambulance was called. Loggers came and with their equipment, were able to get Ken out of the tree. Both were taken to Providence Hospital in an ambulance but Alice was declared dead on arrival. Ken sustained a broken pelvis and other injuries, but recuperated and lived. Very sad story. See article in July 9, 1941 Oregonian archives. PS I wonder sometimes that the time it took to get loggers there, then go to the hospital, was too much time for Alice's survival. The tree Ken fell into is no longer there. Recently visited Multnomah Falls and took at look at the top of the top falls. Lot of tourists standing around, probably thinking how wonderful it looked.

Limey

Post by Limey » February 5th, 2016, 7:36 pm

zarrington, thank you for giving us some more history. Very sad story. I'd love to hear any more history that you have. I'm just fascinated by the history of the gorge.

Marilyn

zarrington

Post by zarrington » November 3rd, 2016, 10:44 am

Posted some information on Mabel Arrington (the recluse in the Basin) a while back. Here's a bit more information about Multnomah Basin. The Basin was homesteaded in the late 1800s, early 1900s by a number of families. However, the bad weather, the road access problem, and the development of the car (not to mention electricity which was becoming available in the 20s) pretty much destroyed the communities that lived in the Basin. A lot of people homesteaded in the Basin, including Edward James (EJ) Arrington who is my grandfather (yes, grandfather, NOT great grandfather). Have a list of the homesteaders, but don't think it's complete.
One of the most important figures in the homesteading that occurred in the Basin was John Teuscher, Jr. (see his name on the nameplate on the east side of the Benson Bridge--unfortunately misspelled). John Teuscher, Jr. married my aunt Mabel (not the recluse Mabel of the Basin--and, BTW, the recluse Mabel was named for this Mabel). Anyway, John Teuscher Jr had this great idea of a huge settlement in the Basin complete with stores, schools and churches and farms. He had a long article in the Oregonian (see March 24, 1912 Oregonian archives) about how wonderful it would be to move here, however, with roads being a bit of an issue. Of course, as you know, the roads never really improved, or if they did they got washed out by the rain and the winters thaw, snow, ice, etc.
George Paugh was one of the homesteaders in the Basin. (He's the one that "helped" name Cougar Rock). Paugh made an attempt to improve access into the Basin--and was the one that built the road that goes from the lip of the Basin northish down to Multnomah Creek, using dynamite mostly--have a photo of him thanks to my Aunt Mabel (the one married to John Teuscher, Jr.--she was quite the photographer). That part of the road should be renamed for him.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 5th, 2016, 8:54 am

Thank you for posting again! I love reading about the history of this place. It would be great to see the photos that you have. Do you need help digitizing them, or do you prefer not to post them on-line?

northridge

Post by northridge » January 4th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Passed by the site on Monday...inspired me to review all the great historical information posted here. Great stuff.

Last edited by northridge on July 26th, 2017, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.