Tumble Ridge Trail - Detroit Lake to Dome Rock - 6/8/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nautachris

Tumble Ridge Trail - Detroit Lake to Dome Rock - 6/8/13

Post by nautachris » June 10th, 2013, 7:25 am

This being the first time since I've moved here where many of the "good" trails have become quickly un-snowbound, I've been spending more time outside and less time programming than my employer would likely prefer, but such is life. Desperate for something to do in early March after fantasizing over William Sullivan's 50 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades, I attempted the bottom 1.5 miles or so of the Tumble Ridge Trail until quickly running into 2-3 feet of snow. Assuming that this would no longer be an issue, we headed out on Saturday to see how far we could make it.

This trailhead is extremely convenient, considering it's literally on OR 22 a few miles west of the "town" of Detroit. We got there around 1:15 PM, with only three other cars in the parking lot/wide part of the road. This trail was amazing - aside from Jefferson Park and the Obsidian Area in Three Sisters Wildenerss, probably my most rewarding hike I've taken in Oregon in the 8 months I've lived here. It's a 10.6 mile round trip schlep up to Dome Rock, with about a ~3200 ft. vertical rise. The first 3.5 miles or so are nonstop uphill, but pretty well graded. The slope decreases after passing an old forest road upon reaching the ridgeline about 4 miles in. The final 0.5 miles to Dome Rock itself are pretty steep, but at that point you're working off adrenaline so it shouldn't bother you. The combination of views, workout, environment diversity and great trail construction cannot be beat! Yes, you can reach an upper trailhead with a few miles of steep forest roads, but there's something cathartic about getting to the top of a 360-degree summit, looking back toward the trailhead 5 miles away and over 300 stories below, and thinking "holy $hit, I just did that?". It also served as a great remedy to a slight hangover caused by a bit too much Boneyard Beer Hop Venom Double IPA (I could live solely off that and Ninkasi Tricerahops - another amazing benefit to living in Oregon!). Views were 360 degrees, ranging from Mary's Peak to the west, Diamond Peak to the south, and of course, Jefferson to the east. I was a bit surprised that you could barely see the tip of Mt. Hood to the north, due to a higher ridge just to the north. Oh well, I'll get over it! The air was amazingly clear considering it had been a bit hazy the past few days.

But anyway, on to the pics. If these aren't coming through, they're also available at https://picasaweb.google.com/1069229081 ... meRock6813

After an initial 0.4 walk on an old road, the trail branches off to the right, and does not stop going up until about 3.5 miles into the trip.

A few views open up ~0.75 miles into the hike.

This is beargrass, right?

First view up the Tumble Creek "canyon" looking at some cool formations to the west

Views back to Detroit Lake, 2 miles or so

At this point (looking back toward the trailhead at an old clearcut), the trail gets a little bit easier

Mt. Jefferson, a bit past the intersection with the old forest road (~4000' elevation)

Detroit Lake with the Three Sisters in the background

The trail is generally well-graded. There were a few spots with blowdowns, but nothing remotely tricky or confusing.

View to the Northwest from the top. You can barely make out Mt. Hood poking over the ridge

View to the northeast

Tumble Lake, directly to the west. Sorry, I didn't have the motivation to add 4 more miles and another 700' vertical to head down there!

postcard view of Mt. Jefferson

Three Fingered Jack, Coffin Mountain, Mt. Washington, the Sisters, and Detroit Lake (trailhead)

view to the south/southwest

attempt at a christmas card pic

remains of old lookout on Dome Rock

closer view of Three Sisters

panorama

attempt at a 360 panorama

didn't notice this until now, but you can see Mt. Jefferson if you look closely

Lots of green and blue

rocky trail heading down from the summit

rocky trail

a view not easy to find in Maryland

attempt at being "arty"

old clearcut on the way down

example of Tumble Ridge Trail conditions

more lake

Tumble Ridge Trail, ~2500'

Overall, even though it's not a loop, I highly recommend this! The trailhead is on the north side of OR 22 along Detroit Lake, at milepoint 48 I think.

Thanks,

Chris Saylor

Lebanon, OR

weathercrazy

Re: Tumble Ridge Trail - Detroit Lake to Dome Rock - 6/8/13

Post by weathercrazy » June 10th, 2013, 7:56 am

I like this trail, seems to have a lot of good views, forest, lakes, mountains etc!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » June 10th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Great hike description and photos, Chris. Tumble Rock is looking really nice right now, thanks for posting.

xrp

Post by xrp » June 10th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Fantastic pictures.

I noticed the Gamecocks hat. Did you grow up in the South? My brother-in-law's family are HUGE South Carolina fans.

I went to Auburn, so WAR EAGLE!

GO SEC!

nautachris

Post by nautachris » June 11th, 2013, 7:18 am

Good catch - it sure is difficult to confuse the Gamecock logo with anything else! The SEC sure is something you don't hear of much out here!

I grew up in western Maryland, went to undergrad at Virginia Tech, and went to graduate school (Geography/GIS) at the University of South Carolina. Now living so close to Corvallis, I'm hoping more and more for a 'Cocks-Beavers bowl game at some point for a multitude of reasons.

Chris S.
Lebanon, OR

RubyBliss

Post by RubyBliss » June 20th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the great info. My husband and I were thinking of doing this hike this Saturday and going down to Tumble Lake. Just curious what your total hike time in and out was.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » June 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing all the pics.

Isn't there a much shorter way into Tumble Lake?

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » June 21st, 2013, 6:03 am

Yep - shorter way is in the field guide

Tumble Lake Hike

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 21st, 2013, 6:31 am

Great trip report. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this one before. I need to do this one. Pretty quiet on that trail?

Karl Helser

Post by Karl Helser » June 21st, 2013, 10:10 am

Shortest way is take the road to the trailhead near Knutson Saddle...if it's clear of snow. Call the Detroit Ranger Station to see if the road is snow free, it should be by now.