Cool Creek To Devils Peak - 5-27-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
discodan7700

Cool Creek To Devils Peak - 5-27-2013

Post by discodan7700 » June 2nd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Greetings Portland Hikers,

Hiked up to Devils Peak from Cool Creek Trail #794 on Memorial Day 5-27-2013.

Trail Description can be found via Google Search: "usda trail 794 cool creek"

Directions to trail head can be found via Google Maps Search: "Still Creek Rd. Rhododendron, OR"

Hike is a lovely wooded trail, easy to follow, meticulously flagged, that is bordered by wild rhododendrons and bear grass all the way to the top. When I hiked it, rhodies were just starting to bloom in the lower 1/4 of the trail, while the most impressive blooms are still to come. Judging by the progress of the buds, I suspect that July will be the month to go.

Snow was essentially all gone along the trail on Memorial Day except for 1 large snow bank where cool creek trail meets hunchback mtn trail. There was a little bit along the trail close to the top, but it was solid, easily managable, and would not slow anyone down regardless of the footware they chose (excluding sandals).

No large animal tracks were seen along the trail. I followed a set of deer tracks for a good section of the trail and was rewarded with a face to face and a fuzzy picture.

I saw an shameful amateur target hung from a tree at approx 3500 ft. Pictures and location were emailed to ZigZag Ranger ChrisD.

There is a nice little water source about 1/3 of the way up the trail. Then the next water source is near the top along the hunchback mountain trail. I did not see this water source myself. But I will certaily seek it out in my next visit.

A successful test cell phone call was placed approx 1/2 way up the trail on a high point amongst a large rhododendron grove. In order to place the call, I faced NW and held the cell phone high in the air. Then using speaker phone, I was able to get a roaming signal and clear reception. I attempted a call from the top at the Devils Point Shelter. Didn't work too well. Seemed that my cell was getting just enough sprint signal to keep it out of roaming mode, but not enough to make a real voice call. SMS worked fine though. Probably theres a way to force my phone into roaming only, and this would probably render better results in an emergency. I'll be looking at that on my next adventure.

Regarding the difficulty of the trail, I thought it was tough, but not too bad. I was going pretty slow taking pictures, listening to the deer tracks whispering to my eyes as I went. So I was distracted, in the zone, and didn't realize how steep it really was. Now that I have had a chance to plot my actual track against ruckel creek and angels rest, it appears that this one is pretty darn hard.

Note, I took a few off trail short side trails exploring the rhodie grove about halfway and looking at the ridge vistas about two thirds up. So the trail will be slightly shorter and less steep if you skip these.

Even with the clouds and constant rain, I really enjoyed the hike.

Pics, map, ele comparrison are below,

-daniel-

**yellow arrow points to high point and successful cell phone test call**