End of year Tom, Dick, and Harry N. face snowshoe - 12/31/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Bosterson

End of year Tom, Dick, and Harry N. face snowshoe - 12/31/12

Post by Bosterson » December 31st, 2012, 4:45 pm

I had plans with Kingdo (Jordan) to go back up Munra today, but after seeing reports of lots of ice in the Gorge, we scrapped that idea and headed down to Mt. Hood to snowshoe up Tom, Dick, and Harry mountain. En route, we were treated to one of the most amazing sunrises I've ever seen in the NW.

Snow on the road/parking lot required us to park up at Skibowl and truck 3/4 mi. down along the highway to the trailhead. After getting parking permits and other nonsense, we started the actual trail at 9am. It was 27º.

The trail was totally beaten in and we didn't put on snowshoes until Mirror Lake. We decided to head OT directly up the north face, like, just for fun.

Snow was mostly crunchy, and we followed a packed ski trail. After skirting around the east flank of the mountain to avoid any steep, avalanche-prone slopes, we traversed back across to the summit.

Looking over at Hood with Mirror Lake below.

A closeup of her majesty.

The clouds momentarily parted over Jefferson, which was bathed in some diffuse yellow light from the sun trying to squeak through.

Then we went back down the track along the normal trail (which was bizarrely steep at times). From Mirror Lake back to the trailhead we encountered an endless stream of perhaps 50-75 people! We escaped just in time!

It was snowing in Gresham as we drove home.

Thus wrappeth up 2012. You were a good year!

#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kingdo

Re: End of year Tom, Dick, and Harry N. face snowshoe - 12/3

Post by kingdo » December 31st, 2012, 5:49 pm

006.JPG
s010.jpg
The sunrise was truly amazing. Hope other people were able to catch glimpses of it the short time that it happened. We ran in to 0 people going up or down the mountain and about 50+ around the lake-trailhead area. Very cold to start! 25 at government camp, 27 when we started.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 31st, 2012, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the report - I caught that sunrise, too... stunning! BTW, I noticed a few cars parked in front of the "no parking" signs at the Mirror Lake... I haven't been that bold, but on the other hand, they didn't look to be ticketed, either.... hmmm....

Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 1st, 2013, 1:03 am

The sunrise was epic yesterday, great catch of it. Seen it from work.

Happy new year!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » January 1st, 2013, 8:58 am

remember towing from here cost hundred to get car back beware......
Splintercat wrote:Thanks for the report - I caught that sunrise, too... stunning! BTW, I noticed a few cars parked in front of the "no parking" signs at the Mirror Lake... I haven't been that bold, but on the other hand, they didn't look to be ticketed, either.... hmmm....

Tom :)

aircooled

Post by aircooled » May 27th, 2013, 9:58 pm

If you walk around to the back of the ski school at Ski Bowl and hang a right and head into the woods (with the wide, fast moving stream to your right) you can avoid all that nasty highway walking and go back country up to the lake. There are a few smaller streams and it's not hard often to find snow bridges across these. Much more pleasant way to get to Mirror Lake. :)