Finding the Douglas Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Re: Finding the Douglas Trail

Post by Splintercat » May 12th, 2013, 9:50 am

Nice recon and report, discodan! While Peachy is correct that the area has been crawling with illegal shooters and OHVers (and other sketchy types) over the years, the problems are on the steady decline thanks to Dump Stoppers and trail advocates like the Mount Hood Chapter of Oregon Equestrian Trails, who have done tremendous work to bring back the Douglas Trail from the brink. The bad actors are there because they think they won't be noticed, and the USFS turning Wildcat Mountain into a stump farm pretty much guaranteed that in the past. But the key to not letting THEM win is to NOTICE them -- e.g., enjoy the area, wave at them when you drive by, and so on. They will find another sections of our public lands to destroy, of course... :x ...but at least it won't be the gateway to the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness..!

For newbies to the area, I highly recommend the beautiful hike to Wildcat Mountain via McIntyre Ridge from the New McIntyre Trailhead. There is a paved road for all but the final 1/4 mile to the trailhead, and in June and early July, the wildflowers will be out -- and the mountain, too, if you pick a clear day! :)

BTW, this area is officially off-limits to OHVers, per the USFS decision to create "sanctioned OHV areas". You don't need to confront them, just pull out your camera or phone and prominently take lots of pictures. They'll get nervous and think twice about returning, assuming they've bothered to read the OHV rules for the forest.

Live long and prosper, Wildcat Mountain!

Tom :)

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » August 12th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Not sure anyone's still reading this thread, but if so I could use your help finding this trail from the west.

I tried to hike the Douglas Trail (from the west) a few weeks back and it was a bit of a debacle. I guess I was just walking the old forest road 255 the whole time -- which was tough going in sections where it was completely torn apart, an ocean of concrete chunks like an earthquake hit it -- and I ended up at a sign saying 'Douglas Trail No. 781 to Eagle Creek' (see photo below). While it was a relief to finally see a real trail sign, and a nice trail, it was not headed back to my car (which I parked at end of Rd '3-5E-13' -- what Harvey Rd becomes). So I backtracked my route to the car.

It sounds to me from Discodan's description that the proper way is to start on the Eagle Creek 501 trail, heading down, and then a link trail goes left at a hard-to-see ribbon? Is this correct?

Thanks y'all.
Attachments
Douglas Trail Salmon Huckleberry sign from where i ended up copy copy.jpg

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 12th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Aaron, I haven't hiked this trail but I think the info you are looking for is in this thread. The new trailhead was built a couple weeks ago, and Splintercat updated the directions in the field guide. http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =7&t=19492
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » August 12th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Hi sprengers4jc, thanks for your reply. I saw that thread too (and posted a reply on it) -- but to my knowledge it refers to the eastern access, via the Wildcat Quarry. I'm coming from the west end, which has no signage i can see!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 13th, 2014, 6:21 am

Shoot, sorry. I hope someone here can answer your question for you! Take care.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown